Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2116005 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #8055 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:45 am »

Yeah, the icons are mostly custom, but I am using the other sprites as bases (mostly for the shapes of glasses.) Right now the fruit are... less than pretty. The alcohol is nowhere near as bad, but Dragonfruit are basically pink cocoa pods and starfruit are stars that... look somewhat MS paint-y.

Flavor Text!

'While they taste divine the fruit was modified to look worse by Nanotrasen to make sure the declining number of Starfruit decline no further'

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:01 am »

Yeah, the icons are mostly custom, but I am using the other sprites as bases (mostly for the shapes of glasses.) Right now the fruit are... less than pretty. The alcohol is nowhere near as bad, but Dragonfruit are basically pink cocoa pods and starfruit are stars that... look somewhat MS paint-y.
If you want I could always try my hand on them. Could you PM the icons you have now, If you want my help that is.

For fruits, hell yes. I'll give you everything plant-related (as they all currently suck) and maybe a list of ones that I'm pretty sure I'll cock up royally even if I were to attempt? (Fucking Buddha Hands, man.) Basically, the plants while they're growing and the fruit they produce. None of them are animated, and I'll be able to include a list of things that, should you feel like it, I'd love to have.

As for Bluespace Mary, and the Chips I was planning to change, I'm going to possibly need a bit of troubleshooting and/or tutorials, I have an idea of how to do both but not how stable or possible either are.

The idea for Bluespace Mary is to take the Bluespace Tomato code, but rather than have the effect happen on a throw, have it happen randomly with a low chance on each sip.

The chips idea is to add randomized flavors in the name of the chips. They're all the same, and they all do the same thing, but two randomnumbers out of 100 determine flavor in the name- say 11-15 is Salt, and 31-35 is Vinegar, you've got a chance at Salt and Vinegar chips. I think this is as simple as having a rand + list, the same way I saw it... somewhere, and n the very least it would make chips more interesting.

But yeah, I'll be throwing a PM your way, sometime today. I'll have to get the sprites.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: July 22, 2013, 11:36:29 am »

If you want I could always try my hand on them. Could you PM the icons you have now, If you want my help that is.

For fruits, hell yes. I'll give you everything plant-related (as they all currently suck) and maybe a list of ones that I'm pretty sure I'll cock up royally even if I were to attempt? (Fucking Buddha Hands, man.) Basically, the plants while they're growing and the fruit they produce. None of them are animated, and I'll be able to include a list of things that, should you feel like it, I'd love to have.
Okay, Also by dragonfruit do you mean pitaya?
If so I made one in about 5 minutes, Don't like it to much so I stopped, Here it is as 400%

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:08 pm »

Yep. They're called Pitaya in-game, but are dragonfruit by ID.
I sent a pretty long list, and there are some things I think I can handle (blackberries, especially, since they're essentially just a berry mutation.)

Yours is better than mine right now, as it's a pink cocoa pod with a couple grey-green scales.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: July 22, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »

I like the idea of chips. only I wish you could choose the sort you had. and they had different effects. ah well. time to learn how to code so I can make re-loadable venders with all sorts of different foods.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: July 22, 2013, 12:25:00 pm »

Holy fuck, Trying to find good reference photos for aloe growing and such. There is so many photos of processing plants. Also the harvest looks like a green hand, I feel I should fix that.
Edit: What the fuck is Buddha Hand, It looks so weird.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:41:01 pm by Nienhaus »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: July 22, 2013, 02:21:05 pm »

Responding to a couple of the recent posts, so omitting quotes for the sake of non-Wall of Text-iness.

@Nienhaus: seconding creepypasta as non-scary. Most are gory and grimdark for the sake of goriness and grimdarkness. I thought myself to be resistant to scary things because of stuff like this. Then I had to uninstall The Path because that game was terrifying as fuck though there is literally zero chance of running into your enemy unless you consciously do so. Best horror is subtle horror.

The sprite is pretty good, actually, it could use some work to make the scales more scale-ey and less leafy and some contrast on the edges, but then again, it was made in about as much time as it took me to figure out how to pull a single frame from an animated sprite.

Buddha's hand is simply Cthulhu's lemon.

@Tsuchigumo: this seems like a pretty inelegant solution for a great idea - you can make a whole, cool system and you want to make a special snowflake code to one type of food. You were going to add brewing - add vinegar as a result of botching it.

For every chemical that acts like a condiment, add a check for when it's ingested. Once a threshold is crossed, it displays a message that tells you how does it taste.

Example: You make chips. You add 5u of Salt to it. A 2D Spessmen eats a bite of chips, ingesting a small quantity of salt along, because that's how SS13 Chemistry works (e.g. you have a beaker with 10u Sugar and 40u Ethanol, if you use a dropper on it, the liquid in the dropper will be 1u Sugar 4u Ethanol). Eating salt prompts a check on how much you ate: if you ate 1u you get bluetext 'it tastes a bit salty', if you ate 10u, then there was a high percentage of Salt in the dish and 'it tastes- OH GOD I NEED A DRINK'.

This lets you add Salt, Vinegar, Chili and Sugar to one dish and preserve all four tastes, and will work with food, drink and cigarettes. Now the problem is how to make it so you wouldn't get the message every time you take a bite.

Don't worry to much about the sprites, if at any time you think 'my god, this sprite won't do, it's too ugly', look at this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:26:20 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: July 22, 2013, 02:48:18 pm »

Responding to a couple of the recent posts, so omitting quotes for the sake of non-Wall of Text-iness.

@Nienhaus: seconding creepypasta as non-scary. Most are gory and grimdark for the sake of goriness and grimdarkness. I thought myself to be resistant to scary things because of stuff like this. Then I had to uninstall The Path because that game was terrifying as fuck though there is literally zero chance of running into your enemy unless you consciously do so. Best horror is subtle horror.

I should probably clear myself up and say it was Sarcasm... but you know Sarcasm and the Internet don't go well.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: July 22, 2013, 03:25:25 pm »

Hey! Some of us still remember those days! Don't judge...

edit: And yes, the characters didn't turn, and nothing was isometric, and everything looked hideous, and there was no singularity, and the atmospheric part of the game made more sense (but also caused massive lag), and plasma engines were all the rage, and many rounds ended with the A.I. bolting open the engineering doors letting plasma fire spew forth, and yes, there was no QM, and indeed CLONING was not even a thing (You made someone a monkey, then a human again. Tada, instant revive in ye olde days), but we STILL LOVE SS13 IN ALL HER GLORY!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:28:55 pm by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: July 22, 2013, 03:28:28 pm »

Hey! Some of us still remember those days! Don't judge...

Eh, I would say it's more a sign of enormous mental fortitude to be able to survive all the godawful graphics. Seriously. It's a feat.

ACHIEVEMENT GET: Survive old SS13 graphics.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »

Where IS everyone? Nobody is on the server.

edit: Man, I'm really nostalgic for the old air code. I mean, sure it lagged everything to all hell, but it spread very realistically (back in one of the stations that was basically just one giant ring of hallways with no real internal doors, breaking a window in the hallway would generally lead to... everyone falling on the floor and being sucked out of the window. Within 10 seconds. People were gibbed because they hit wall so hard.).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:33:48 pm by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: July 22, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »

Where IS everyone? Nobody is on the server.

edit: Man, I'm really nostalgic for the old air code. I mean, sure it lagged everything to all hell, but it spread very realistically (back in one of the stations that was basically just one giant ring of hallways with no real internal doors, breaking a window in the hallway would generally lead to... everyone falling on the floor and being sucked out of the window. Within 10 seconds. People were gibbed because they hit wall so hard.).

Baystation 12's air code is like that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: July 22, 2013, 03:41:39 pm »

I like how bed sprites remain unchanged.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: July 22, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »

Eh, there are some not-so-bad creepypastas out there.

What's that law or something that says "90% of everything is crap"? Godwin's Law or something?

Also, the chips weren't really considered a recipe, and more of an edit to the chips that currently exist in the vending machine, ala Goonstation Dan's Discount Ramen. I think.

As much as I'd love to do that, I'm very much a super-junior at this coding. This is the first real time I've played with code, this is the first time I've ever even looked at the inner workings of BYOND, and I really don't know anything beyond the code I've stared at so far. I have only the base-ist idea of what's possible and what I'd be capable of doing. Half of my ideas are likely insane, such as throwing a rand(100) in a text field- would that even work? In the name of a food item, having a sudden variable? Outside of quotations, of course. I have no idea if it's possible, safe, sane, or by any means stable.

But I'm willing to try. Everything I know- and there's a LOT I don't even by looking at the code, because there's a lot of stuff I have no idea what to do with, especially the sections that... do things. I can make another vending machine, but the code that actually makes vending machines work is alien to me. Nothing I've done so far has a unique element- there's always a section of the code that matches it, it's just another way to put it together. Add the effect code of Mindbreaker to a drink, carbon-copy an existing fruit, make it something slightly different, change the numbers slightly...

I realize there isn't much I can do that's new, especially since I have no idea what I'm doing. Since this is the first time I've ever actually made a thing. First time I've ever seen BYOND, or really any code, and was able to play around with it. I've never read a BYOND tutorial, never seen examples, I jumped in completely blind. I'm hoping to do something more than just frankenstein code, more than what already exists. Hopefully I'll be able to.

Also, scrdest, seriously, thanks. I've been wondering if there was a way to add some kind of taste system, but to do that sweeping change to all existing code may be a separate project, even if it is it will contain all the new items I'm adding as well.

I'd love to have some system of adding tastes. It would make this entire mod a LOT more interesting and unique, which was something I was shooting for the whole time. To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing, or if I'd be capable of making that without outside help of some kind. I'd be more than willing to read guides or something, to get a better grip on what I'm capable of doing within the SS13 code, but until then or until I get confident and knowledgeable such changes are beyond my current ability. Even the bluespace effect on Bluespace Mary is something I was questioning if I'd be able to do- after all, it would mean somehow taking code that involves throwing an object and hooking it to a much less detailed trigger. How would having no thrown direction or location work? In theory, I could simply have the "location" the player drinking the drink, but again this requires code I have not even touched yet nor do I completely understand.

There's a reason I didn't shoot for something gigantic, like a complete overhaul or a new way for something to work (Remember all the different ways Genetics works, on different servers? I knew there'd be no way for me to create something completely fresh without experience, so I didn't go for something like that. Hopefully I will be able to before i push this mod on ahead.)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: July 22, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »

I feel like this needs to be separated from the textwall.

Theoretically, I could, somehow, say that "eating one unit of this gives this message, two this, three this, four or five this, six to eight this, and anything above that this", but I don't know how. Again, theoretically, if/then statements, but the idea in my head for that could mean applying it to every single bite of food. That's bulky and a huge problem.

I have no doubt it could be done. I just have no idea where to tackle it from, where to write the resulting code, how the game should handle the fact that reagents now give messages on eating, or how to hook such things to food without editing every single reagent individually.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1654