Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2118521 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #7335 on: July 03, 2013, 01:14:15 am »

The four of them crowded into the pod, and Lillian ended up sitting on one of the strange agent's laps. The pod blasted out of it's mountings, space flashing by it's windows at a rapid rate. The agent in back was talking to Samara about something, but Lillian couldn't quite hear. She did, however, feel a hand grab her arm. She felt, rather than heard, the rear pod door opening, in a woosh of explosive decompression, and it was all she could do to grab the belts holding the agent she was sitting on in place. Just barely secured, she felt the person behind her get sucked into space, and the hand disappeared with them.

Lillian kicked the door control, and clambered over the agent, and sat in the rear chair. The agent turned his chair to face her, and she smiled at him, excitedly. Out of his view, her hand crept into her satchel, and closed around the worn and well-used handle of her stun baton. She said, "So... How are you?"

"Good, actually. And you?" The agent smiled blandly under his helmet visor.

Lillian grinned, feeling a surge of adrenaline racing through her body, and she said, "I'm a lot better than you're about to be." With a crackle, she yanked out the baton, and bashed it into the agent's face, then into his gut, the electrical discharge sending him into a shivering fit. Lillian kicked at him a couple times, finally hitting the release on his seat belt. Then, she hit the emergency door control, and the cold air sucked out once again, taking the near-comatose agent with. Lillian closed the door, letting the air warm up and dropping her baton back into her bag.

A few minutes later, the pod was docking with the Recovery Vehicle. Lillian had already ditched her bloody armor and weaponry, so when the pod opened, the recovery crew saw only a small, lithe, very distraught woman. One stepped forward, helping her out of the pod, and the other said, "Are you okay? What happened out there?"

With a smile in her heart, and tears in her eyes, Lillian cried, "They tried to kill me... Oh god, I killed them. They shot me and beat me, but I... Fought back. Oh god." Her final order to the AI, besides telling it to terminate itself, had been to erase all logs of activity aboard the station. No one could refute her story, because everyone was dead but her...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: July 03, 2013, 04:35:07 am »

@Plasma I'm not talking about temperature or temperature caps, just that plasma doesn't burn when the pressure is too high. And assuming that atmos is coded akwardly generally isn't wrong. :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: July 03, 2013, 06:05:23 am »

I played a grand total of two rounds on Metastation and was already killed with the space bridge near cargo. Damn you, Hans :P

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: July 03, 2013, 08:11:40 am »

Well shit... i think I broke the server... sorry.

Apparently lighting 50000 KPA of 33% oxygen, 67% plasma results in the server dying. 

As a point of reference, lighting 9000 kpa of plasma/oxygen gets your about 100,000 C, 200,000 KPA.  So I would assume I would have gotten roughly 1.5 million kpa or so, i don't know what the temperature would have been.  But it took frigging forever to heat it up at all, so it was quite impractical.
Also, I checked the server logs out of curiosity to see if your mix did attribute to the server crashing. I didn't see any explosions, or really anything out of the ordinary that'd show that you made a gigantic explosion, so I think it just randomly crashed. Not to make your achievement seem less cool, just thought I'd let you know so you don't start thinking you're the next incarnation of Cuban Pete.

Interesting. I didn't expect an explosion, just an insane amount of pressure contained in some piping and canisters (I would have thought I'd get a high temp too, but 4500 vs 9000 kpi made almost 0 difference in final temp, just pressure)
The mix was only at 85 or so, so I didn't expect anything to happen just then, but the waste loop had finally ignited, which i was filtering the hot plasma out of, so the hot plasma may have suddenly pushed the mix over 100.  It's also quite possible what I was doing had nothing to do with the crash.  I think I'll try this again on the backup server, and report my findings.

I did find that pressure stopped working properly after a certain point. I was using the piping with the heater on it in atmos, with the heater set to 573K.  The gas in the heater itself was at 75000 kpa, 500 kelvin(something like 250C or so), well above plasma ignition temp, but no ignition. The meter on the pipe two segments away, which was directly connected, showed 48000 kpa, 20C. By disconnecting and reconnecting a canister, i got pressure to equalize, which immediately dropped out the temp.  So stuff was starting to get wonky pretty quickly.

On another note, Axl and I were exposed to very, very high pressure that shift, and suffered absolutely no ill effects, aside from being pushed around.  So much so that I think we can safely say high pressure is not damaging.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: July 03, 2013, 08:17:05 am »

@Plasma I'm not talking about temperature or temperature caps, just that plasma doesn't burn when the pressure is too high.
Here's your answer to why the plasma didn't ignite. When the pressure of plasma is super-high, it'll just refuse to ignite. Try filling a room (like the courtroom) with oxygen and plasma canisters, then using something like a pulse gun set to destroy to open a lot of them.
Then spawn a lighter inside, and make sure it's on. The plasma won't ignite because the pressure is too high.
If you make a hole in one of the walls of that room and put a lighter beside that hole, it will ignite because pressure is getting lower there.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: July 03, 2013, 08:25:26 am »

On another note, Axl and I were exposed to very, very high pressure that shift, and suffered absolutely no ill effects, aside from being pushed around.  So much so that I think we can safely say high pressure is not damaging.
Oh no, high pressure damages you. It takes hundreds of atmospheres to do it in a decent time, but it WILL kill you. Just now I stood in the plasma tank (Computer reported 68k) and I went down to orange in about fifteen seconds. By the standards of the SS13 superhumans, the 10000 kPa the air alarm reported then is nothing.

Technically, yes, pressure will kill you. Practically, however, you'll be able to clear out before it does unless a traitor/spiteful ninja dumps you in the atmos tanks.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:26 am »

spiteful ninja
Just so you know, a helpful ninja can be just as dangerous as a spiteful one. There is a nonzero chance that when a ninja drags you along for a teleport ride shit might happen and you might get gibbed.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7342 on: July 03, 2013, 11:52:15 am »

I'm reminded of a round where there was a pair of ninjas that were annoying the hell out of me while I was the chef. As a revenge plan, I ordered some poly-acid, replaced some space-cleaner and melted off their masks (not their faces, apparently; however, they were no longer incognito, and that was good enough for me), especially while/after they were being treated in medbay for some reason. I was killed as a result (as an order from the captain, I think), and brought back to life. They were not too happy about me getting revenge for their antics.

EDIT:
Then again, the station does frown upon the action of melting faces as a means of getting back for voice mockery.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:59:45 am by Itnetlolor »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: July 03, 2013, 12:02:20 pm »

Melting faces is a perfectly acceptable action similar to an open-handed slap.  ;)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: July 03, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »

Just as a heads up, I just got word that my ISP more than doubled my rate.  I'm going to be looking into the billing to see if it was in error, and if not I'll be looking at other options, depending on what I end up doing, I may not have as fabulous a connection as I do now.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: July 03, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »

I'd take a guess as to who you have, but the problem is they're all bastards so the choices range from everyone to xenotechnology.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: July 03, 2013, 12:50:06 pm »

Lack of people.

Join.   Please.

Yes.
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: July 03, 2013, 01:49:04 pm »

Update on the pressure/plasma expiriments:

I tried again on the backup server. After reconfiguring atmos, to achieve my evil ends, here is what I ended up with:

Results of analysis of canister
Pressure: 1.49626e+07 kPa
Nitrogen: 0%
Oxygen: 1%
CO2: 98%
Plasma: 0%
Temperature: 99970°C

That was from igniting roughly 50,000 KPA of 33% oxygen, 66% plasma.

So, the final result was 14,962,600 KPA of almost 100,000°C Co2.  So yes, plasma will burn at extreme high pressures, but the piping acts really wonky after a certain point. I had to keep detaching and re-attaching canisters to get the air to flow.

As a note, the way I achieved such high initial cold gas temperatures was by using filters. The filtered port seemingly can put out unlimited pressure (or at least, i haven't found the limit).  A typical pump will give 4500 max, and a volume pump will give about 9000 max, for comparison.

Now, this ultra high pressure mix is not any hotter than a standard mix, so it's no better for bombmaking.  Instead, I think it's main use is a room destroyer.  If I open that in an occupied room, theoretically, stuff should die quickly.  I will be humaning a monkey and testing the lethality shortly.

UPDATE:
I tested this canister bomb idea in two rooms, with naked humanized monkeys.

The first was done in the operating room. I opened up one of the canisters in the room across from the test subject. Immediately, this set off the fire alarm, and I had to crowbar my way out, getting a bit burned (through my CE hardsuit) in the process.  Shortly after that the canister ruptured, and the monkeyman passed out. Seconds later, he was dead.  So all in all it took about 10 seconds or so from when I opened the canister to kill the monkeyman.

The second test was on the bridge.  I stuck a monkey in the chair in front of the comms console, and then used the hand tele to drop an open canister into the bridge.  It blew around for a little while before rupturing, maybe 10 seconds or so.  After rupturing, the bridge fire doors closed, and the monkeyman was quickly down and out. Oddly, the area north of the bridge immediately overpressurized and became quite hot, before the windows blew out. After a little while, all the windows and grates on the bridge and the area to the north of the bridge were blown out, with about 10000 kpa remaining in the bridge, from the looks of it.

All in all, a lot of work for a roundabout murder method.  Still, it might be fun to try sometime.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:11:51 pm by Damiac »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:49 pm »

To me, it just seems like too much work for too little effort. Either you'd be more effective making a bomb, or just grabbing a plasma canister and lighting the gas on fire to kill people in a small area.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: July 03, 2013, 03:24:34 pm »

So, it's impractical, has a high risk to yourself and is extremely dangerous? I approve.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 1654