Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2123795 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #5745 on: May 20, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »

And if all else fails, migrate to the Mining Asteroid and tell the station proper to go fuck itself. Power NEVER runs out on the asteroid... Right?
If you've got a crowbar, a rig and a pickaxe, no. That is literally infinite power right there.

Optical Meson Scanners = Instant win against darkness.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: May 20, 2013, 02:03:43 pm »

OMS+three lanterns+hardsuit helmet=I AM THE SUN!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07:43 pm »

On an unrelated note, I was playing by myself on KG's server, and decided to test whether setting up solars instead of the singularity is a valid strategy.  It's not.
By the time you've got the solars all wired and turned on, you've lost power in most of the station. Then it takes another 40 minutes or so for the SMESes to charge enough to be able to turn on the output without it running out and turning back off.  After that, it takes another 10 minutes or so for the APCs to charge back up enough to turn everyone's equipment back on.
So the solars are really only suitable as a source of backup power, if something happens to the singularity an hour into the round, either the PA gets turned off, or it escapes away from the station.  I think everyone knows that a round without power for the first hour SUCKS, at least if you're not the antag.
There's your problem. Four people on solar duty should be able to set it up before consoles start turning off. Anyone can wire solars. Just open up EVA. It is also way too early in the round to get random events.
I have set up the solars before power has run out numerous times, and as the only engineer on board. You just have to be fast.

Yeah, you can get it set up, but then you need them to charge. And they only charge 2 at a time.  That's where the majority of the waiting happens.

If you just wire them straight into the grid to avoid waiting for them to charge, you only have 160k - 180k KW, which isn't quite enough, although maybe you could hold a charge on most APCs, and just have a couple areas with intermittant power loss. 

10-15 people doing things on station draws maybe 130k. There's a 200k+ draw until APC batteries are topped up.
With everything running and all APCs at full, the station draws a little less than 120k to keep everything full. As things are being filled, up to 180k draw occurs normally... and anything more means a powersink OR cloning.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: May 20, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »

Oh, the singularity is quite easy to set up.  Like i said, it takes about 5 minutes.

If power's already out, just wire the generator (in tech storage) into the SMES outputs. Put in a stack of solid plasma (Also in tech storage). Turn output to 10k.  That'll power the emitters for more than enough time to get containment up and the singulo big enough to generate power.  You may need to put a new battery in the engineering APC if the PA is also unpowered.

That's another thing I did on KG's server. I joined up as chaplain by accident, in the middle of a round (a blob round no less).  I learned a few things.
The null rod is fantastic for breaking reinforced windows
You can get into engineering with just a wrench (break the glass with the wrench, break the electrified grates with the broken glass).  The null rod sped this up considerably.
If you hack and turn off the engineering APC, you can crowbar open the shutters to secure storage.  However, it doesn't seem that you can crowbar them back shut.
People get suspicious when you say space jesus told you to set up a singularity (I had to run into space because some sec guy kept trying to arrest me while i was setting it up)
An emitter can kill a blob by itself, if you line it up with the core (It goes much faster if you assist the emitter with a laser gun of your own.)
Opening a canister of plasma next to a blob accomplishes nothing (It absorbed the plasma faster than I could light it on fire).
Blob mode is dumb. (I won all by myself...)

EDIT: In response to Mono's ninjaing me, when you do that, do you just wire the solars direct into the grid? It sounds like maybe I would have been ok if I did that.  If you rush to the engineering solars, I think you can set them up just as the "sun" comes around to it.  After that, you should stay ahead of it if you wire fast.  Maybe just jumping over the SMES is the way to go.  Still, I prefer the singulo, but maybe the solars are more viable than I gave them credit for.

The occasional peek at the singu is normally enough to keep it safe.  I check out the cameras once in a while, making sure the emitters are firing, and the PA is at the lowest level.  But you do have to stay on top of it. On the other hand, I'm usually glad when someone does let it out, since by then the round has typically gone on long enough.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:19:42 pm by Damiac »

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: May 20, 2013, 02:16:52 pm »

Thing is, the singularity also loves to eat the station when the eventual traitor comes in and destroys everything. If I feel like having fun and not camping the singularity for the entire round, I'll set up solars and leave the singularity not set up.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: May 20, 2013, 02:30:12 pm »

Should have a wizard/cult round where the wizard is treated as the cult leader having been granted powers of the immaterium. Or whatever.

Really though, I just want to play as a wizard one of these days as "Lizard Christ" and help out the station after completing my objectives.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: May 20, 2013, 02:38:31 pm »

only played with wizard twice and thought it sucked.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: May 20, 2013, 03:07:41 pm »

Should have a wizard/cult round where the wizard is treated as the cult leader having been granted powers of the immaterium. Or whatever.

Really though, I just want to play as a wizard one of these days as "Lizard Christ" and help out the station after completing my objectives.
I think a wizard/cult round would be cool, even if they we're connected, people could RP the wizard as being a part of the cult, or as an abomination to it, both would be fun.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: May 20, 2013, 03:09:05 pm »

Two problems with the singularity:

1. It requires constant observation, both to prevent it from growing too much naturally, and to prevent traitors from releasing it so the shuttle will be called. I'm convinced that the main reason why it so often isn't set up is because not a lot of us enjoy maintaining it.

2. If a round starts with no engineers, even assuming a Captain who has their shit together and heads down there to set it up, there's a chance that the charge will die before they can do so, in which case they have to do more work to get a charge. Even more so if it's someone else who first has to break-and-enter to get access, or if the only engineer joins late. Even two people wiring solars from the start should have them up with only a relatively short period of power outages, and that's infinitely safer than leaving a potential station-eater set up, especially on lightly populated rounds which might not have an AI or CE to make sure traitors aren't sneaking into Engineering.

The singulo is practically essential for a high-pop station, especially one that can assume it will have at least 2-3 engineers per round. UMcS not so much.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: May 20, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »

As I said before, maybe we should consider replacing the singulo with another type of engine. Maybe nuclear.

((Which essentially would be a combustion engine, using a nuclear core(needs to be programmed) as heating source))

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: May 20, 2013, 03:28:28 pm »

Or, you know, go back to the old thermal engine. The code's already there, a few of us vets remember how to set the thing up, and it's a hell of a lot more reliable than the singularity ever was and ever will be.
Nothing important here, move along.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: May 20, 2013, 03:41:26 pm »

I think a wizard/cult round would be cool, even if they we're connected, people could RP the wizard as being a part of the cult, or as an abomination to it, both would be fun.

Give Chaplain the ability that, with enough followers, he may endow himself with divine powers. This would shift the dynamic to Cult vs. Space Raptor Jesus. Perhaps as a separate gamemode, with Cult being able to convert implanted people more easily to balance the conflict out.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:46 pm »

Give Chaplain the ability that, with enough followers, he may endow himself with divine powers. This would shift the dynamic to Cult vs. Space Raptor Jesus. Perhaps as a separate gamemode, with Cult being able to convert implanted people more easily to balance the conflict out.
Cult v. Paladins? AI has the P.A.L.A.D.I.N. lawset.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: May 20, 2013, 04:13:07 pm »

Cult v. Paladins? AI has the P.A.L.A.D.I.N. lawset.

PALADIN is more about mimicking a Knight of the Round Table, less about smiting evil. Also, perhaps only Chaplain would get the powers, but be boosted with followers' help. Contrast!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: May 20, 2013, 04:15:54 pm »

Remind me to go look at the code some time, to see if I can implement some of these ideas.

Also, it's probably a good idea to have the head Paladin not be limited to the Chaplain, so that the 'good' side is not heavily handicapped because nobody picked it in their preferences.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1654