Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124521 times)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #5220 on: May 13, 2013, 10:57:43 am »

No doubt about it, I am quite suspicious.  I figure as a head, and especially as CE, I have a good reason to have a stunprod.  The cuffs are a little more questionable perhaps, but my reasoning is that I need to be able to get people out of the engine room if they're not supposed to be there.  As a head, especially given that we have very little sec usually, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for me to have those items.  However, I also feel the need to tell sec I have them before they search me, and explain myself.

I expect if I searched you I'd find at least as much suspicious stuff on you as I normally have.  Unless the AI's been acting up, or the upload has been compromised, then you'd probably find an upload board and reset board on me as well.  I usually have my internals box stuffed with boards, wires, and other nifty stuff. 

I have to say, I really prefer stunprods so much over the old stungloves.  It's so much easier to just have it in my backpack, ready to pull out at a moments notice, than it was to either have rigged up gloves with no electrocution protection, or having to quickly wire up and add a battery to my gloves.  Plus you get more hits with the prod. 

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:19 am »

Just have your flash on you, it works very well and is less suspicious.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: May 13, 2013, 11:44:00 am »

Flash? Hah, flash is useless. Everyone's got some kind of mask/helmet/sunglasses on.  Admittedly, it is far less suspicious.  If there are suspicious borgs around, I will toss a flash in my internals box, but aside from that I just leave them behind. 

I remember one rev round Axl caught me making wire cuffs while hanging near the captain, eavesdropping on him chewing out the chaplain.  I made some excuse about how a friend and I were in to that sort of thing... you know... Axl just walked away disgusted.  That was the same round I stunned Axl and the captain, cuffed the captain, and ran around with him in tow for a while trying to figure out what to do next.  This was a rev round, with me as CE... Axl was HoS, and joined the revolution's side too eventually.  Oswald Black is just way too good at making everyone hate him.  Then we had a big trial, where I tried to convince the crew that the captain was just mentally ill, and shouldn't be executed.  I'm really not sure how that round ended.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

Flashes work pretty well, but their effectiveness usually ends past any civilian without maintenance access. Things that block flashes: Sunglasses, welding helmets/goggles, spacesuit helmets, hardsuit helmets... You can find at least a couple pairs of shades in maintenance, not sure about welding gear. My favorite reason to carry a flash is anti-cyborg personal defense.

I remember one rev round Axl caught me making wire cuffs while hanging near the captain, eavesdropping on him chewing out the chaplain.  I made some excuse about how a friend and I were in to that sort of thing... you know... Axl just walked away disgusted.
Heh, yeah, I used a similar excuse when I asked a doctor for a muzzle to deal with an annoying prisoner. I never got to side with Oswald to the death. I've betrayed him at least three times and one time took up the tyranny myself, enjoying it more than I should've.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:49:07 am by Jacob/Lee »

Murmur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: May 13, 2013, 12:21:17 pm »

Would anybody be interested in a server running extended? I'm working on getting my own server hosted, and I'd like to open it to all of you. I've been playing here for about a month and I really like this community. And I think it would be fun for us to occasionally work together on keeping a station alive, and maybe building some stuff, instead of plotting against each other all the time. See how long we can keep a station going with all the random events that pop up.

I'd keep it up to date with the latest Urist McStation code, set up a database and all that. And it would be private, like this one. Don't want somebody randomly destroying everything for kicks.

I think it might be a good alternative when you don't feel like dealing with the stresses of antagonists. Sometimes I don't feel like being in a constant state of paranoia and fear. It's good fun and all, but occasionally I'd like to be able to do some of the stuff that we don't usually have time for in a normal round.

Sound like a good idea?

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: May 13, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »

Flashes work pretty well, but their effectiveness usually ends past any civilian without maintenance access. Things that block flashes: Sunglasses, welding helmets/goggles, spacesuit helmets, hardsuit helmets... You can find at least a couple pairs of shades in maintenance, not sure about welding gear. My favorite reason to carry a flash is anti-cyborg personal defense.

I remember one rev round Axl caught me making wire cuffs while hanging near the captain, eavesdropping on him chewing out the chaplain.  I made some excuse about how a friend and I were in to that sort of thing... you know... Axl just walked away disgusted.
Heh, yeah, I used a similar excuse when I asked a doctor for a muzzle to deal with an annoying prisoner. I never got to side with Oswald to the death. I've betrayed him at least three times and one time took up the tyranny myself, enjoying it more than I should've.

I actually would like more people to use pepper spray rather than flashes. It's got similar functionality, basically blocked by gas masks, sunglasses (actually, the code says that it can get in the mouth, meaning it's still maybe effective), welding helmets, etc. In fact, it seems like it would make more sense to have most heads equipped with pepper spray rather than flashes and reserve most flashes for defense against cyborgs.
Also often called Boowells.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: May 13, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »

Would anybody be interested in a server running extended? I'm working on getting my own server hosted, and I'd like to open it to all of you. I've been playing here for about a month and I really like this community. And I think it would be fun for us to occasionally work together on keeping a station alive, and maybe building some stuff, instead of plotting against each other all the time. See how long we can keep a station going with all the random events that pop up.

I'd keep it up to date with the latest Urist McStation code, set up a database and all that. And it would be private, like this one. Don't want somebody randomly destroying everything for kicks.

I think it might be a good alternative when you don't feel like dealing with the stresses of antagonists. Sometimes I don't feel like being in a constant state of paranoia and fear. It's good fun and all, but occasionally I'd like to be able to do some of the stuff that we don't usually have time for in a normal round.

Sound like a good idea?

Interesting, not sure how long would it last before people would get bored though. Since Extended is all about RP (especially since I'm assuming you would turn Events off), you'd need a decent number of people to, you know, RP. I guess enabling the extended access in Config would be a nice idea, way more interaction.

Also, while on alt-server topic, what would you say if we (read: somebody - I would, I theoretically COULD, but I'm afraid the nominal owner who lives with me might not appreciate me messing with network settings) set up an experimental server running on the BS12 code?

BS12 code is open-source, github-based, and, in fact, based of /tg/ code since The Great Merge a year or two ago. There are a couple of features that should be surgically (read: using glass shards and hatchets liberally) removed, like Furrieshumanoid aliens, we might want to restore walk/run speed to /tg/ one if we are used to it, but all that aside, it's /tg/ code with some really neat additions, and not to divergent since they keep merging with /tg/.

I do NOT want us to BECOME BS12, or even appropriate their fluff (if I did, I'd go play BS12, duh) but since they have nice stuff they let people use free of charge or, in fact, asking, and it's mostly familliar to what we use now except some nice additions, we could try it somewhere and see how it plays out.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Murmur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: May 13, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »

I was actually thinking I'd leave events on... just to make things a little more interesting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: May 13, 2013, 01:26:02 pm »

Yeah, I'd like extended, but without events it might be just a little too calm.

Incidentally, that round last night was awesome, you two who were on with me. I got out of the locker, decuffed myself, and opened the shuttle brig door with five seconds left. That timing couldn't have been any closer if I'd tried. XD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: May 13, 2013, 01:38:19 pm »

Also, while on alt-server topic, what would you say if we (read: somebody - I would, I theoretically COULD, but I'm afraid the nominal owner who lives with me might not appreciate me messing with network settings) set up an experimental server running on the BS12 code?

BS12 code is open-source, github-based, and, in fact, based of /tg/ code since The Great Merge a year or two ago. There are a couple of features that should be surgically (read: using glass shards and hatchets liberally) removed, like Furrieshumanoid aliens, we might want to restore walk/run speed to /tg/ one if we are used to it, but all that aside, it's /tg/ code with some really neat additions, and not to divergent since they keep merging with /tg/.

I do NOT want us to BECOME BS12, or even appropriate their fluff (if I did, I'd go play BS12, duh) but since they have nice stuff they let people use free of charge or, in fact, asking, and it's mostly familliar to what we use now except some nice additions, we could try it somewhere and see how it plays out.

Okay. First, I have many issues personally with both /tg/ and BS12. What follows is just my opinion. (This is mainly about code and gameplay, not the actual server styles)

[rant]The thing about BS12 is that development is not as active as /tg/. I would vastly prefer to have all the cool stuff BS12 has added, but that comes with multiple problems.

First: Research station. Our community has many times stated that they do not want a research station. It affects balance, and makes life harder for antags. Being the only janitor on the asteroid is not cool.

Second: BS12 Code. Here's the thing. They've got some fancy code. Here's the other thing. It's all outdated as hell. Also, very messy. BS12 has a slew of bugs and whatnot that /tg/ doesn't have. BS12 development is limited, whereas /tg/ has multiple people adding to the game and perfecting it.

BS12 in general isn't as cool as /tg/. I agree, there is more to it, and there are many BS12 things that would be awesome to adopt (read: hostages and medical). That being said, just because BS12 and /tg/ are open source together, doesn't mean they're compatible. Yes, they merged about two years ago. Since then, in terms of code they've branched in completely different directions. In addition, there's a stigma about BS12 that I'd rather avoid. Also, /tg/ is more focused on gameplay and balance then BS12, which will sacrifice balance for RP. Now, even though I am personally more conducive towards RP, I agree that sacrificing balance is never good, and will only drive people away.

Basically, the ideal station would be somewhere in between BS12 and /tg/. There are aspects of BS12 code that we could merge with our own code, without breaking compatibility with /tg/. This, I support. Becoming a BS12 server? This I do not. [/rant]

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: May 13, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »

Sound like a good idea?
It sounds like a terrible idea, because it would split the playerbase and end up with amounts of players that are so small they're boring on BOTH servers. So no ,please don't.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: May 13, 2013, 02:00:07 pm »

Okay. First, I have many issues personally with both /tg/ and BS12. What follows is just my opinion. (This is mainly about code and gameplay, not the actual server styles)

[rant]The thing about BS12 is that development is not as active as /tg/. I would vastly prefer to have all the cool stuff BS12 has added, but that comes with multiple problems.

First: Research station. Our community has many times stated that they do not want a research station. It affects balance, and makes life harder for antags. Being the only janitor on the asteroid is not cool.

Second: BS12 Code. Here's the thing. They've got some fancy code. Here's the other thing. It's all outdated as hell. Also, very messy. BS12 has a slew of bugs and whatnot that /tg/ doesn't have. BS12 development is limited, whereas /tg/ has multiple people adding to the game and perfecting it.

BS12 in general isn't as cool as /tg/. I agree, there is more to it, and there are many BS12 things that would be awesome to adopt (read: hostages and medical). That being said, just because BS12 and /tg/ are open source together, doesn't mean they're compatible. Yes, they merged about two years ago. Since then, in terms of code they've branched in completely different directions. In addition, there's a stigma about BS12 that I'd rather avoid. Also, /tg/ is more focused on gameplay and balance then BS12, which will sacrifice balance for RP. Now, even though I am personally more conducive towards RP, I agree that sacrificing balance is never good, and will only drive people away.

Basically, the ideal station would be somewhere in between BS12 and /tg/. There are aspects of BS12 code that we could merge with our own code, without breaking compatibility with /tg/. This, I support. Becoming a BS12 server? This I do not. [/rant]

I agree that Xenoarch ducks sick. It's way too complex and independent. It could be a whole station on an asteroid as a separate map.

How is Baycode outdated? They keep merging with /tg/, unless you mean some deeply buried outdated code that pretty much all BS12 features depend on. They didn't merge 'two years ago', the last /tg/ merge I've seen personally, and I've been playing there from September to about January this year. In fact, some people complained that they merge so often.

So, it lags a bit between /tg/, yes, but about two weeks max. And since they keep merging, it can't be incompatible, aside from some adjustments causing the lag between them.

As for stigma - this is emotional rather than rational response, isn't it? /tg/ also has a heavy stigma, though not as heavy as Goon, just in the opposite direction. Just because our code is based of BS12 will not make us BS12, just like being based on /tg/ does not turn us all into /tg/, and, since both are based on Goon, turn us all into Goon. Balance vs. RP? To some degree, but in other ways, it's balanced BETTER: right now, MDs are borderline useless, being walking, talking Medkit dispensers. BS12 makes you need some actual skill for Medical, in contrast.

If anything, BS12 balances towards SUPAH SEEREEUS ARPEE, meanwhile /tg/ balances towards goofy fun.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: May 13, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »

Basically, the ideal station would be somewhere in between BS12 and /tg/. There are aspects of BS12 code that we could merge with our own code, without breaking compatibility with /tg/. This, I support. Becoming a BS12 server? This I do not.
So, recently I've been playing on BS12... And well, never again.
It seems to be a universal fact that they've got "nifty little features" yet over all are just a lot less fun than /tg/.
While there are quite a few nice things that BS12 have that /tg/ could do with, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the idea of hostages and medical.
For the former, maybe I'm just misinterpretation what you're suggesting, but from what I've seen of nuke rounds on BS12, the whole hostage thing just winds up getting in the way of round progression. It also seems a little illogical, as they're trying to kill everyone on the station anyway, why would they slow themselves down by 30 minutes just to avoid getting a little blood on their already red hardsuits?
As for the latter, it seems genuinely fun for doctors, but with internal bleeding and other such silent dangers, it can wind up silently putting people out of the round.
All in all, it's about implementation, and I'm pretty sure everyone's going to think about implementing it differently.

This sounds like a good idea to me. I'd join.

It sounds like a terrible idea, because it would split the playerbase and end up with amounts of players that are so small they're boring on BOTH servers. So no, please don't.
Considering I'm not part of the current player base this isn't really a problem for me.
Though, I feel it necessary to point out that a few of us want to play extended rounds, so either there's a shared server where extended is part of the rotation and people who don't want to play extended get forced into it, or there's two servers so that you can choose to do what you feel like doing.

Ninja'd edit:
If anything, BS12 balances towards SUPAH SEEREEUS ARPEE, meanwhile /tg/ balances towards goofy fun.
/tg/ balances towards a competitive multiplayer experience, with safety buffer for... Goons, shall I say?
BS12 is built for BS12 and their way of doing things. After going there I honestly wouldn't call it "serious" RP.

REAL edit (and sorry for the massive post guys):
I've been working with the code for fun a bit recently, I think I'm finally getting somewhere with it, so if we set up an Extended server then I wouldn't mind tagging in some fun little, balance neutral, RP extensions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:25:32 pm by Fayrik »
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: May 13, 2013, 02:23:38 pm »

I've been meaning to do this:

Spoiler: Epilogue (click to show/hide)

Now.

Spoiler: In Real Life Stuff (click to show/hide)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »

HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 1654