Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124691 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #5175 on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:47 am »

Nah, being coercive to the cyborg was more of me being a dick-borg. But I'm not going to get myself Law-2'd into a module that I don't like. Besides, out of all borgs, Engineering borgs are the best-looking.

That reminds me, I was dissapointed when I broke into the vault for the gold and found out that there wasn't enough gold to make me a VTEC module :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: May 12, 2013, 06:50:47 am »

BTW, Asimov law 1 is practically impossible to follow ('through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm'), because if there are two simultaneous problems, you are facing a Morton's Fork - either one or the other instance of harm will happen, you cannot be everywhere.

i would probably interpret the laws more into relation with orders/what i do/reactive measures, than as preventive measures.
as in not trying to prevent all harm possible on my own, as you said the ai cant be everywhere... its a brain in a jar afterall and not 100% electronic who can check all computers all the time (i.e check atmos every 5 seconds) and check all cameras at the same time.

and more use the laws in a way like:
does the order a person gives me break a law?
i.e. botanist wants the doors to the engineering open = nope... botanist has no clue how a engine works so no permission. (as in a untrained person would mess up the engine would cause harm to everyone if the singu gets out.)
or a assistant wants into burning medbay = nope... the assistant would get harmed. or burning plasma gets out into the hallways.
but if a atmos in a firesuit wants to go into burning medbay = yep i let him in as he is trained to deal with fire.... even if he ends up burning to death in there somehow. (ai should keep an eye on him anyways).
or 2 security guards want to get into botany to subdue a botanist with a e sword = probably an "allowed" case (one guard probably not and should call backup first)... as security would be "trained to deal with criminals" even though the esword could harm the security guards. if they end up both dieing to the e-sword... oh well guess they were not trained enough.
and in a reactive way as in: a bomb blew up or plasma leaked somewhere and if i see it i bolt doors leading to it close (and maybe bolting open maintenance doors that lead around the danger) so people dont get harmed. and not preemtive (?) bolting down all plasma tanks at round start.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: May 12, 2013, 06:52:10 am »

Decided to try some single player RPing in the current round as a detective investigating an abandoned station.

Here's the transcript from my recorder:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Got killed by a bluespace event that shifted me from the bridge to space.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: May 12, 2013, 06:58:07 am »

By the way, that AI did something that the wiki pretty literally said that you DON'T do, namely instantly broadcasting the name and job of the person that asked acces to AI upload trough the binary channel. You generally say "Unauthorized acces to AI Upload requested" or something like that. Or you just deny acces to AI upload in the binary channel andleave it at that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Inscribed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: May 12, 2013, 07:45:27 am »

Um it might have to do with IDs, not PDAs. I probably had my original ID in my hands still when I took Luna's form and spoke.. I'll look into that because that situation itself might be a bit meta  (at least in my own view)
Ok, I was thinking that. First of, sorry it got so 'public'. I did ask in Hologram for a reason, but you know, you were talking to people when I asked.
PErsonally, I think it makes sense that the AI knows this. Clearly, for the AI's benefit, some ID info is partially transmitted. But it might make it a little clunky for Antags.

In any case, I think I will assume changing shape is a nonhuman indicator, even with two conflicting views on it. No ones complained, after all, and I feel it make sense myself. If it is an issue, I hope someone actually lets me know :P

Edit: If someone asks me to open a door as AI, I always,, unless there is fire and gass on the other side, open. I will state that that door is open, otherwise nothing will be said. But I might look a little harder at someone requesting access to strange area...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:50:11 am by Inscribed »

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #5180 on: May 12, 2013, 08:41:48 am »

I think the serer may have died...
1=0

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: May 12, 2013, 08:42:09 am »

I... think I might have killed the server when I was editing a knife's stats. Whoopsie.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #5182 on: May 12, 2013, 08:45:18 am »

2nd Server time?
1=0

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: May 12, 2013, 08:59:53 am »

Dammit donuts.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:57 am »

Dammit donuts.
I know. At least it was time for me to take a break. :P
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: May 12, 2013, 09:37:05 am »

nvm, Server back on.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:47:05 am by GiantBadger »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:47 am »

I just restarted the main server.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: May 12, 2013, 09:52:56 am »

-snip-
Heh, I was a traitor who had to kill you. I went AFK in the dorms for a while and came back dead, bastard! At least I wasn't cooked into burgers.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: May 12, 2013, 01:34:20 pm »

I don't know when the server will be updated next, but all engineers should take note:
1)Magboots can now stop atmospheric pressure differences from pushing you around
2)Large enough pressure differences (the first few seconds of an exposed room or an open canister at max pressure, for example) can overcome the magboots
3)Magboots no longer hold you in place if you aren't standing on anything
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: May 12, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »

So. how long did last night's shift last?
the one that was 2.5 hours in at 12 PM EST.
or was it 1.5?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 1654