Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126097 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #4320 on: April 25, 2013, 04:40:30 pm »

wait, is this station going? i was playing Apollo station but i think it crashed...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: April 25, 2013, 05:06:15 pm »

As I implied, that would be a situation where it wouldn't be allowed. I sincerely doubt someone legitimately thinks that's okay to do, and is most likely doing it just to fuck with people.
Jacob/Lee, aka A.X.L. did just so, got carded pretty quick.
But the point is the virologist wasn't working xenobiology and there were no scientists to do so, he just wanted to try to steal one of the starving, murderous slimes so he could experiment with it.
Now see, this seems fine to me. That's an actual reason to lock down xenobiology, but usually it'd be best to ask the heads first. Girlinhat, you presented to me the situation where the AI does it for no reason, and in this case this seems okay.
Problem is, that wasn't stated in the round.  He only ever said "Slimes are dangerous" and refused to open.  I agree with this logic, but that wasn't the logic in play during the round.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: April 25, 2013, 05:14:39 pm »

So if the AI's laws are so open to interpretation, what happens when the admins disagree with the AI's interpretation and an argument ensues? Or, for that matter, anyone. I think the idea is to get a more firm ruleset so that this doesn't happen. If the current rules don't fulfill this, we need to make a better set of them.
The point of Asimov is that they're meant for a certain purpose, but they're still exploitable and broken making the AI more susceptible to harm rather than being an omnipotent god-being that saves the station all of the time. So it's either we make a new lawset, and have people complain about having to follow a certain set of rules all of the time, or we leave it open to some interpretation and have the admins intervene when someone is straying very far from the original law.

Seriously, the majority of the time any admin has to talk to an AI about how they interpret their laws is when they're either purposely misinterpreting it or metagaming. Besides, admin decision is final. If enough people have an issue with an admin's decision, they can dispute it and have it overturned anyways. Leaving it open to interpretation is the easiest and frankly best option so far, and is the decision all of the admins have agreed on.
Can we at least agree, one interpretation that is not valid is locking down toxins, xeno, and viro?  These are valid work stations with jobs, that many AI insist be locked.  If there's no one working them, then locking them to prevent unauthorized access is fine, but when people are trying to do their job (and enjoy playing the game) and the AI says "I don't feel like you need to have fun this round" it's very lame.

Remember the First Law - You may not entertain a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to fun.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »

So. Images from the last week or so I want to post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lol, I'm actually in that first picture, I was so confused when I saw that, though I couldn't really say any thing about, so I just started drinking my bottle of nothing.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: April 25, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »

Serious question: What's fun about rev rounds?  I was having fun on /tg/ until a rev round.  Within 2 minutes I get flashed in the hallway and security beats me to death before I can stand back up.  This happens on /tg/ and B12, it's just less common for B12 because it requires a player limit we usually don't hit.  Every single round starts with security going apeshit and everyone getting bludgeoned.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: April 25, 2013, 05:46:06 pm »

So. Images from the last week or so I want to post.
That's a pretty bar you got there.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: April 25, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »

Serious question: What's fun about rev rounds?  I was having fun on /tg/ until a rev round.  Within 2 minutes I get flashed in the hallway and security beats me to death before I can stand back up.  This happens on /tg/ and B12, it's just less common for B12 because it requires a player limit we usually don't hit.  Every single round starts with security going apeshit and everyone getting bludgeoned.
The original few revolution rounds were very fun, not sure what happened though (Although what you described I'm pretty sure doesn't happen particularly often, at least not from what I've seen/heard.) But I do agree the general suggested guidelines for it should be changed. My preference of heavy roleplay involved in the revolution round isn't really for everyone (Most people, that is) and doesn't really work unless everyone wants to do it.

Really, I want to try out a few rounds where the revolution heads are allowed to covertly convert (They don't need to talk out their conversion, just make sure they can catch them unaware without alerting anyone to their presence. Similar to cult. Lolflashing would still not be allowed, of course.) That would pretty much provide the conflict, and security/command wouldn't have to create reasons to get people to revolt. Although without roleplaying involved, revolution feels to me more like cult without magic, but at least then we might have less shitty revolution rounds. I don't really know though, what do you guys think of it?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: April 25, 2013, 05:53:44 pm »

/tg/ security seems to do things differently no matter what the round is. That's what I've been reading.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: April 25, 2013, 06:04:51 pm »

Vactor's is back up!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: April 25, 2013, 06:20:47 pm »

For note, Jacob, whenever I play Janus, I always pick a few people to talk to throughout the round, randomly. Usually you and Hector are included, but even as GoodGuy-Janus, I do the same thing. It's just that as Evil-Janus, it's more memorable, because the Evil AI stopped to talk to you about philosophy and having children and such before he tried to violently dismember you/set you on fire.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:59 pm »

Serious answer: There is absolutely nothing fun about the Revolution game mode at all. It is a terrible mode and should be expunged from the code forever.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: April 25, 2013, 08:01:37 pm »

Though let's make sure we differentiate between opinion and fact. I very much like Rev rounds and wish we had more of an opportunity to play them.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:29 pm »

Rev is only as good as security/the heads/the rev heads are willing to make it. They're usually much better on B12.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: April 25, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »

I'd rather play Cult.  It's got similar recruit dynamics, but with more effort into finding who's a cultist or not.  Apparently Sec can just look at you and start doling the rev beatings, which turns out to not be fun at all.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: April 25, 2013, 08:08:35 pm »

After looking through the game modes on the wiki, I really want to try a blob round now.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 1654