Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2126423 times)

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3960 on: April 20, 2013, 06:50:14 am »

Since when is it meta to get out of your hardsuit when you return to the station? Or, for that fact, to go get a snack at the vending machine when you're hungry.

You weren't hungry. The game hadn't been going on long enough for my character to get hungry yet, and you joined later than I did.

Edit: In any case, you specifically mentioned standing on a vent in your earlier message. That's pure metagaming - "almost as if" you knew you were going to get chestburst... and you knew that the creature could crawl through vents... and your character somehow wanted to die horrifically..

Kaitol - let me explain what happened:

- Find an alien on the asteroid. It doesn't attack me. I realise now that this is because of the hardsuit helmet but this is my first encounter with one as a human so I wasn't sure if it was bugged or something then.
- Call the others over supply channel
- Other miner comes along and suggests bringing it back / keeping it as a pet. I'm not sure OOC what he's going for here, but I go along with it. I suggest caging it with glass in the outpost, but he says we should take it back to the station
- We go back to the station. I'm still in my hardsuit. He takes off his helmet and gets attacked.
- I take the alien off him. The QM comes in and tells me to take him to medbay. I start dragging him there
- He stands up before we're out of cargo. The QM says to get to medbay. I go along with him. This seems to be what I'm getting abuse over, but I don't see another decent RP choice really. If your RL coworker was attacked by a dog, briefly passed out with shock and then got up and went to a hospital, would someone from your workplace not go with them?
- We go down the passage. He pauses briefly directly on the vent, then moves to the machines and gets some food and eats it.
- He asks me if I want some, then goes to the drinks machine to get a drink
- Then he chestbursts. I kill the alien.

Is this really what you'd consider "play to win meta"? To me I think I've RP'd my character fine and I'm not happy to be getting abuse over it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:03:48 am by Nick K »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: April 20, 2013, 07:10:30 am »

I'd generally say that if the round is being kinda boring and said player wants to be an alien, you can let them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: April 20, 2013, 08:05:03 am »

To be fair, if other people see you get attacked by an alien species, it should be standard procedure to see medbay. Hell, every contact with an alien species should be warrant for a medbay visit.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: April 20, 2013, 08:11:37 am »

To be fair, if other people see you get attacked by an alien species, it should be standard procedure to see medbay. Hell, every contact with an alien species should be warrant for a medbay visit.
Ehh, I guess so.

Well, provided someone else is with you when it happens. If you can't remember being attacked, then why would you visit medbay?

Blacking out, probably.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: April 20, 2013, 09:08:26 am »

Still, SOP for contact with an alien species without biohazard suit should be medbay check. Maybe the beast spreads airborne contaminants, or something.

Though I doubt many people would follow it.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: April 20, 2013, 09:19:03 am »

Could reckon you fell asleep or something. As I said, the aliens really should fall off, as they do in the alien films, and the amnesia would result in you getting simply freaked out by the alien that's sitting next to your head, and you reckoning you fell asleep or something.
Not to mention that the alien has a vice grip on your face and throat which would hurt afterwards and i would think that the victim would not think they fell asleep but rather hit their head. But a lot of people tend to brush off minor injuries or ailments so I guess that after recovery they would just get back to what they want to do.
In this case, I don't think its normal to stop hand head to a vendomat to get a snack after being dragged to the medbay and told to go there after waking.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: April 20, 2013, 09:41:29 am »

I dunno, I'd see a doc if I just suddenly woke up on the floor with no recollection of what happened and a spider thing next to me. But that's just me. But we do need to remember that this is supposed to be a medium roleplay server, so I figure a little leeway in how we handle the situation, as long as it isn't too meta (or if you are meta about it, you don't complain when someone else goes all meta, commenting in general and not about the fingerpointing that was going on) or out of character.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: April 20, 2013, 09:48:17 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You realise that after getting a face of alien wing-wang, you aren't supposed to know you're impregnated, a lot like in the alien films?

The facehugger ought to drop off, IMO (like in the films, again), and the people that get faceraped suffer a fair bit of amnesia. Also, if someone sees it, it's not reasonable to go 'OMG! YOU MUST HAVE BEEN IMPREGNATED! GET TO MEDICAL NAO!', because for all you know, it tried eating them, and failed miserably. If you see someone get facehugged then see them assplode, fine. You can link two-and-two together.

Assuming they have been impregnated is like assuming someone must be traitor because you saw them with a kitchen knife, then shouting 'X IS A TRAITOR!' over the radio.

Equally, if you get impregnated, do your job. If you want to, you can work near to air vents at all times, just do your job, else other people suffer as a result, and your meta-ing is as bad as the meta of the person that stalked you to kill the alien.
There was a lot of chatter and I was going off what I remember from Lamarr's text if you are anywhere near the victim of his facehug which involves being violated in the throat or something. I was right there when it happened. Besides, in Alien the guy is taken straight to the ship and directly to medbay. I was also going off of that. You have just been attacked by a strange organism. Get your ass to medbay. I felt I RP'd that properly, including encouraging my miners to not bring that thing over to the station but wanting to humor them because they work in isolation on the asteroid.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:54:30 am by BigD145 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45:32 am »

Still, SOP for contact with an alien species without biohazard suit should be medbay check. Maybe the beast spreads airborne contaminants, or something.

Ideally.  Nanotrasen employees are not particularly known for following protocol.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: April 20, 2013, 10:54:37 am »

What the fuck were you guys doing in that sandbox round? I walked into maintenance and a bomb blew up right next to me while I was shooting space carp. Arrivals was blown up completely. If you need a bomb-testing range, use the BOMB TESTING RANGE or the courtroom, fitness room or chapel. (in sandbox)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: April 20, 2013, 11:00:17 am »

I suggested the use of the courtroom, but someone said the vacant office.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: April 20, 2013, 11:06:28 am »

Just in case somebody didn't know: You can send space cash back on the supply shuttle for points. 25 credits = 1 supply point.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: April 20, 2013, 11:08:26 am »

Ideally.  Nanotrasen employees are not particularly known for following protocol.
Do you know what confuses me? Why Captains don't sentence people to public floggings for some crimes. I mean, what else is The Chain of Command for, anyway?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: April 20, 2013, 11:12:55 am »

There was a lot of chatter and I was going off what I remember from Lamarr's text if you are anywhere near the victim of his facehug which involves being violated in the throat or something. I was right there when it happened. Besides, in Alien the guy is taken straight to the ship and directly to medbay. I was also going off of that. You have just been attacked by a strange organism. Get your ass to medbay. I felt I RP'd that properly, including encouraging my miners to not bring that thing over to the station but wanting to humor them because they work in isolation on the asteroid.

Actually, in Alien, they try to take Kane to the Medbay but Ripley refuses to let them on the ship because he should be quarantined for a minimum of 24 hours IIRC. They even point out that he will probably die, but, and I quote, 'If you bring him on the ship, we ALL might die.' Then Ash lets him on board anyways because Ash is a douche.

Also, the only reason the crew didn't jump on the 'burster and killmaimburn it is because Ash stopped them.

[rant]One thing for space vines. CLOSE THE DAMNED FIRELOCKS. FOR FUCKS SAKE. Nothing is worse than clearing a room, moving on to the next one, and finding that someone passed through, and didn't close the damned firelock, letting the vines in again! And the chef didn't help, opening the locks in the kitchen, after I had cleared it, allowing the vines to get back in. I quit trying then, because fuck space vines, and fuck their tiny little hitboxes.[/rant]

Dude, get the QM to order a Weed Control crate. It has Weedkiller grenades and a Scythe. The scythe will kill FOUR squares of weeds, INSTANTLY per click. Vines are seriously not a big issue if you order Weed Control Crates. Scythes are fucking bosslike. And also, they make the Chaplain look awesome.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:14:51 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: April 20, 2013, 11:29:13 am »

Actually, in Alien, they try to take Kane to the Medbay but Ripley refuses to let them on the ship because he should be quarantined for a minimum of 24 hours IIRC. They even point out that he will probably die, but, and I quote, 'If you bring him on the ship, we ALL might die.' Then Ash lets him on board anyways because Ash is a douche.

Also, the only reason the crew didn't jump on the 'burster and killmaimburn it is because Ash stopped them.

Ship --> medbay
Yes Ash overrode everyone, but still.

The miner was already on station when he took his hardsuit helmet off and was facehugged. I was not about to seal off cargo.

[rant]One thing for space vines. CLOSE THE DAMNED FIRELOCKS. FOR FUCKS SAKE. Nothing is worse than clearing a room, moving on to the next one, and finding that someone passed through, and didn't close the damned firelock, letting the vines in again! And the chef didn't help, opening the locks in the kitchen, after I had cleared it, allowing the vines to get back in. I quit trying then, because fuck space vines, and fuck their tiny little hitboxes.[/rant]

Dude, get the QM to order a Weed Control crate. It has Weedkiller grenades and a Scythe. The scythe will kill FOUR squares of weeds, INSTANTLY per click. Vines are seriously not a big issue if you order Weed Control Crates. Scythes are fucking bosslike. And also, they make the Chaplain look awesome.

I did order a weed crate. The weed crate was emptied by botanist and I figured that was that until round end when the central hallway was full of vines. 'lings were active so I'm not even sure how many people were around by then. Nobody asked for another weed crate so *shrug*. I didn't even know there were vines on that side of the station. I think the only random event we didn't have was blob that round, unless it did and nobody said anything. Crew communication had broken down.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:31:29 am by BigD145 »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 1654