Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124752 times)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3810 on: April 17, 2013, 10:16:36 am »

But I'm pretty sure you can't get a bigger bang than what's already possible without superheated plasma, and supercooled oxygen. 

Yeah, that filter wasn't doing anything. Will it heat up all the way with just 1 pass through the heat exchanger loop?  If not, you could make a loop with pumps, to keep pushing it through, then once it's hot enough put it into a tank. 

What happens if you open a canister of superheated plasma in a room? Will it instantly explode, or just fill the room with super hot fire?  Would it be possible to open it and get away in time?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: April 17, 2013, 10:21:10 am »

we already created such a loop that keeps it heated, although it is very hard to go above 10K degrees with such a small room. therefore, it will most likely limited to mass production of small bombs ( can make them VERY quickly)

however, if the canister is opened in a room, it makes an huge fire. enough to break windows anyway, and melts through floor in few seconds. definitely more powerful than your usual fire.

I could do some experiments with partial combustion.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:04 am »

But I'm pretty sure you can't get a bigger bang than what's already possible without superheated plasma, and supercooled oxygen. 

Yeah, that filter wasn't doing anything. Will it heat up all the way with just 1 pass through the heat exchanger loop?  If not, you could make a loop with pumps, to keep pushing it through, then once it's hot enough put it into a tank. 

What happens if you open a canister of superheated plasma in a room? Will it instantly explode, or just fill the room with super hot fire?  Would it be possible to open it and get away in time?
You could only get away in full firesuit gear, because you can absolutely ignore high temperatures in a firesuit, unless you're walking right trough a fire.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:30 am »

Were you able to open a canister, and escape with your life?  If that's just at 10k degrees, I'd be curious what happens at higher temperatures. What if you remove the inner door and walls from the heating chamber? Then you can fit a lot more heat exchanger pipes in there.  I assume it has to be vacuum floor right? So you can't just build your own chamber somewhere else, or the floor will melt.

I think the cold oxy is unnecessary to be honest, but at least it's much easier than the hot plasma. Just put the HE pipes in space, and pump the oxy through.

It does sound like an ideal setup for mass production. Just fill 2 tanks and put them on a transfer valve. 

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: April 17, 2013, 10:32:48 am »

Yeah, we could remove it. Also, the "vacuum floor" you are talking about is just reinforced floor. Use rods on plating, done.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: April 17, 2013, 10:34:42 am »

we can't really use that extra space actually, since it has the pipes needed to refill the chamber. we could get at most one tile I think, with some rearranging.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: April 17, 2013, 10:39:55 am »

Oh, right. I forgot that you can't place the pipes over others. But yeah, it's soemthing that's really hard to build, because pipe dispesers don't give air injectors and such.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: April 17, 2013, 11:13:35 am »

Well, last night was interesting just because nothing happened. 10 people tops on the round before I went to bed. I was the roboticist with no miner and nobody wanting robots. MD Hector, the mime, CE, and I all raided xenobiology because Arturo was killed by a slime. After that, I chilled in medbay and learned that Hector loves sweets but hates the vending machine food. I need to hang with the civvies more, sitting around and talking is nice and calm. Something's always going on as the HoS.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: April 17, 2013, 11:16:04 am »

Do dispensers give vent pumps? It is a little silly that an open pipe doesn't just pump stuff out, I guess they're some sort of special self sealing pipes or something.

In that case, it's going to be hard to make a bigger heating chamber... you could expand it into the maintenance tunnels, and then build new tunnels further out.

On second thought, can you floor over the open space, replace the windows with walls, and then put heat exchanger piping over the shutters, and what used to be open space?  That'd double the size of your furnace.  In fact, if you're going to remove those windows anyway, why not extend the furnace into the R&D hall a little bit, and get even more furnace space.  2 tile wide hallway is plenty for Xeno..

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:23 am »

A bit outdated, but still pretty valid. Just ask the engineers for the subspace ansibles, transmitters, etc.

I have a list that gets to around those numbers in about twenty items, most within the R&D lab. Silver, gold, plasma, and diamond are needed but not in great quantities. Three items need to be made in robotics. The RD and one miner can do this fairly quickly. It's mostly down to getting acid.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A glorious ending for a glorious round.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: April 17, 2013, 11:47:23 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A glorious ending for a glorious round.

Pity our Psychedelic jumpsuits synched on red, we look like Redshirts.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:29 pm »

Also pictured towards the top of the screen: gibs of the adamantine golem, he planted C4 on himself because he could not shower himself.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:46 pm »

I'll be continuing temperature bomb testing until I'm capable of getting 97,000C pure plasma.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: April 17, 2013, 12:10:57 pm »

already have plans. but we will need to extend the chamber into maintenance, as previous people said. which means , we will need space suits.
either that or we steal a room from somebody else and build a whole new chamber.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 1654