Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124676 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3795 on: April 17, 2013, 01:22:28 am »

A bit outdated, but still pretty valid. Just ask the engineers for the subspace ansibles, transmitters, etc.
Also often called Boowells.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: April 17, 2013, 01:27:57 am »

Pfft. Robbing electronics storage is so easy I don't even bother asking half the time. Nobody really cares unless you try to break into the secure part.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: April 17, 2013, 01:32:22 am »

Try it some time. Preferably after I've built an autolathe and stolen a shotgun.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: April 17, 2013, 01:53:50 am »

Hey, is anyone on right now?

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: April 17, 2013, 01:57:45 am »

What would we do with the power of 5 singulo at once?  Aside from the obvious...

I'd like to see what would happen if we allowed several to merge. The comments in the code are cryptic but suggest doom would shortly befall.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: April 17, 2013, 04:21:45 am »

What would we do with the power of 5 singulo at once?  Aside from the obvious...

I'd like to see what would happen if we allowed several to merge. The comments in the code are cryptic but suggest doom would shortly befall.

If I'm reading this right, one of the singularities would absorb about half of the other's energy. Two size 5x5s would become a 7x7, and then explode, exactly as if it had been hit by a bag of holding. Since a bag of holding also destroys the singularity with an explosion, I'm going to assume that two singularities would end up also cancelling eachother out if they consumed eachother, only with slightly more devastation if they're at the least both at the least 5x5. No big deal. Not much different from using a bag of holding.
Also often called Boowells.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: April 17, 2013, 05:50:15 am »

Wait, you can install the emitters within the containment field?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: April 17, 2013, 05:54:58 am »

Did more testing with plasma loops in toxins. sadly, I died and with server empty round is locked.
the thing works, but I didn't ignite the chamber correctly, resulting in low temperature plasma ( 7k degrees) , but as a proof of concept it works.

sadly, to assemble the new loop I had to dismantle part of atmospherics pipe network, but I suppose there might be a way around that. it is not as compact as it could be.

pure plasma at 97 K degrees without that annoying CO2  and in enormous quantities is within our reach!
and then, it will be time to set up a cld loop as well, to cool down oxygen.

edit: small note: bomb suit doesn't protect from point blank bombs. I really shouldn't have opened that valve

edit2: here is pipes. I don't even know if what I did made sense, but it worked much better than previous experiments.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:06:18 am by andrea »

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: April 17, 2013, 06:36:20 am »

edit: small note: bomb suit doesn't protect from point blank bombs. I really shouldn't have opened that valve
Actually from the looks of it, it did. Bomb suits don't stop you from dying, they simply keep you together.
If you hadn't been wearing that suit the chances are that you would have just painted the walls with your guts.
Yep.
Toxins is fun!
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:18 am »

If you're on right now, I could come and save the round. Mayby we could restart in sandbox and find a less restrictive location to do it, the telecomms sat would make an excellent place, actually. This line of research is genius and I can't miss out on it, with calling myself the at-master and all that :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: April 17, 2013, 08:45:26 am »

If I'm reading this right, one of the singularities would absorb about half of the other's energy. Two size 5x5s would become a 7x7, and then explode, exactly as if it had been hit by a bag of holding. Since a bag of holding also destroys the singularity with an explosion, I'm going to assume that two singularities would end up also cancelling eachother out if they consumed eachother, only with slightly more devastation if they're at the least both at the least 5x5. No big deal. Not much different from using a bag of holding.

Except that the last two times we've tried using a bag of holding it didn't destroy the singularity. One of those times I was wearing it though, so that might have been the problem.

Wait, you can install the emitters within the containment field?

Yes, Grek established that in a much earlier experiment:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
IT BEGINS.

In fact what I'm doing now is basically just an improvement on his experiment.

On the far side I also had radiation collectors under the containment field, and they seemed to work fine. All the other electronics within about 10 squares of the singulo wasn't working fine though, so if anyone wants to run other tests they need to give it a lot more space.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:01:47 am by wlerin »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: April 17, 2013, 09:20:09 am »

Expiriments of the APHD (Advanced Plasma Heating Device) have not proven succesfull yet, we may need a larger combustion area to increase temperature to high-explosive levels.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: April 17, 2013, 09:39:21 am »

Hmm, it seems like people are OK with just hooking the singularity up to the power network to deal with power sinks.  That seems a little meta to me, but it also seems like the only way to reliably deal with the stupid things.  I'd escalate it in IC for a bit, to at least allow the traitor a chance to use his sink, otherwise that technique just makes power sinks totally useless.

Although I suppose it's a good way for the traitor to make deadly shocked doors, so he doesn't completely lose out on the deal.  I'd probably cut the connection after a while, and if power stayed up, I'd leave the singularity disconnected. 

What are you maniacs trying to do with that superheated plasma? Also, what's the point of that filter going into the yellow canister? Isn't it pure plasma anyway?

If you got that into the atmos loop, I really feel like that's gotta be a server crasher.  Explosions coming out of the vents? How's that going to work?
And if you're just going to put it into containers to make regular tank transfer bombs, you're just going to hit the same cap as you can hit with regular old mostly hot c02 bombs.  89%oxy, 11%plasma in one tank, 50 kpa plasma, the rest hot C02 in the other tank already gives a capped explosion anyway.  I suppose with all that super hot plasma you could make a lot of bombs really fast. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:44:34 am by Damiac »

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: April 17, 2013, 09:41:37 am »

Hmm, it seems like people are OK with just hooking the singularity up to the power network to deal with power sinks.

Honestly I've been connecting it just so I can get accurate numbers on power output, since the main out line goes through the power monitor, which is also linked to the CE's PDA. Normally though, yes, it should only be done as a last resort.

Could maybe rearrange the wires somehow so there can be two power monitors, one before and one after the SMES, as it's a good way to gauge the health of the singularity.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:52:43 am by wlerin »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:01 am »

Hmm, it seems like people are OK with just hooking the singularity up to the power network to deal with power sinks.  That seems a little meta to me, but it also seems like the only way to reliably deal with the stupid things.  I'd escalate it in IC for a bit, to at least allow the traitor a chance to use his sink, otherwise that technique just makes power sinks totally useless.

Although I suppose it's a good way for the traitor to make deadly shocked doors, so he doesn't completely lose out on the deal.  I'd probably cut the connection after a while, and if power stayed up, I'd leave the singularity disconnected. 

What are you maniacs trying to do with that superheated plasma? Also, what's the point of that filter going into the yellow canister? Isn't it pure plasma anyway?

If you got that into the atmos loop, I really feel like that's gotta be a server crasher.  Explosions coming out of the vents? How's that going to work?
And if you're just going to put it into containers to make regular tank transfer bombs, you're just going to hit the same cap as you can hit with regular old mostly hot c02 bombs.  89%oxy, 11%plasma in one tank, 50 kpa plasma, the rest hot C02 in the other tank already gives a capped explosion anyway.  I suppose with all that super hot plasma you could make a lot of bombs really fast. 
We're not pumping it into the atmos sytem. We're trying to make bombs with only superheated plasma and supercooled oxygen. More plasma gives a bigger bang, and we're not burning any of the plasma that goes into the bombs.

Also, on my advice, we got rid of the filter. It's mainly Andrea and Girlinhat working on it tough.

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 1654