Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124535 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3735 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:30 am »

There's some interesting map changes on the tg git.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/364
It's decent, but to me looks a little wonk.  There end up with awkward looking 'bumps' in the station as maintenance dead-ends extrude into space.
I think it's supposed to look like that, to give lots of places for people to hide or something. Or maybe just to piss off the people running around outside the station. I will agree though, they are kinda ugly.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: April 16, 2013, 09:59:26 am »

It's decent, but to me looks a little wonk.  There end up with awkward looking 'bumps' in the station as maintenance dead-ends extrude into space.
I think it's supposed to look like that, to give lots of places for people to hide or something. Or maybe just to piss off the people running around outside the station. I will agree though, they are kinda ugly.

I actually ran into the thread that led to that change earlier today - the idea was to make Maintenance more interesting to explore. There was some talk about the loot possibly being randomized, but I don't know if they coded it in.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:20 am »

I actually ran into the thread that led to that change earlier today - the idea was to make Maintenance more interesting to explore. There was some talk about the loot possibly being randomized, but I don't know if they coded it in.

The chair and window combo above the chapel lets the janitor or engineers/atmos ponder the meaning of life in the tunnels.

I was looking at the metastation map and maintenance is far less interesting there. We should run that map sometime if we can get 30+ again just to screw around on a new station.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: April 16, 2013, 10:14:08 am »

............................. I JUST MERGED THE MAPS PRIOR TO THIS.

Unimpressed.

EDIT: Also, in my opinion, these map updates look kinda dumb...

EDIT 2: That round with the singulo on the derelict is still going. In the lobby, it says it's been going for 3 hours, but in the singulo notes, it suggests its been going on for at least 10 hours.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:25:46 am by Glloyd »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: April 16, 2013, 10:27:23 am »

The AI is supposed to be a literal, law-interpreting machine. pAIs are made to be human-like, cheerful assistants for their masters. It doesn't really matter how logical it is, from a gamplay point of view, it's logical. Also, if you want, you can play your AIs as empathizing as you wish, I guess. But some people like to play them very logical and literal.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: April 16, 2013, 10:34:20 am »

EDIT 2: That round with the singulo on the derelict is still going. In the lobby, it says it's been going for 3 hours, but in the singulo notes, it suggests its been going on for at least 10 hours.
That's the round where I appear to be bugged and unable to really connect to the server.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: April 16, 2013, 10:38:23 am »

That's the round where I appear to be bugged and unable to really connect to the server.

Weird. Your character's still alive.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: April 16, 2013, 11:31:24 am »

I love being the HoS who does nothing while the mime and clown fight to the death. I even helped the mime at times.
While I often disagree with your security,
Any reason why you disagree? Improving my tactics + RP is always nice.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:39:40 am by Jacob/Lee »

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: April 16, 2013, 11:32:16 am »

Multiple dimensions? :o
Also often called Boowells.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: April 16, 2013, 11:48:27 am »

The thing is, I know it's been going for almost 12 hours now. I was there when it started, went to bed, woke up and it was still going.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:24 pm »

The increase in player population recently, anomalous in itself, has led to space-time distortions, namely the perceived lengthening of the rounds. It's a known relativistic effect, described by Bunkus's Player-Roundtime Anomaly Curve, as the crew approaches full staffing, anomalies occur.

Also, permabrig. Violin. Or piano. And book making. Add it. I will keep lobbying for it. Otherwise I'm probably getting 'sneakily' banned again. Which I'd rather avoid. Thank you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:55 pm »

I think it's awesome. It makes the maintenance sections much more interesting.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: April 16, 2013, 12:22:31 pm »

The increase in player population recently, anomalous in itself, has led to space-time distortions, namely the perceived lengthening of the rounds. It's a known relativistic effect, described by Bunkus's Player-Roundtime Anomaly Curve, as the crew approaches full staffing, anomalies occur.

Also, permabrig. Violin. Or piano. And book making. Add it. I will keep lobbying for it. Otherwise I'm probably getting 'sneakily' banned again. Which I'd rather avoid. Thank you.

There's no bookmaking in the permabrig, but there is a check in/out computer, so convicts can read all the smut they want. A violin is a cool idea though, and I want to add the piano in, probably in the dining hall.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:49 pm »

What is the proper way to handle a power sink?

It's blatantly obvious when one's in use, but of course, IC wise, I should look to the obvious failure points of the system first.

This is the typical timeline surrounding a power sink:
1. Power starts dropping out around the station. Everyone starts yelling IC (and often OOC) about how the engineers are obviously incompetant, and all demand to be let in to engineering to 'properly' set up the singulo.
2. I run over to the singulo cam, to verify everything's ok. Then I check the SMES's.  Which are both fine, obviously. I relay this to the crew.
3. CALL THE SHUTTLE!!!
4. I recommend we investigate the problem before we abandon station. After some checks of a few APCs, it becomes apparent that the power grid doesn't have enough power.
5. Announce to the crew there is a mysterious power drain.  Let them know i'm working on it.
6. The station is in dark chaos. All doors can be crowbarred, almost nobody can do their jobs.  I'm running around checking the wiring, looking for the power sink.
7. The power comes back on somehow.

So my question is, what's the right way to deal with this?  There's a lot of possible places for the sink to be, and the only way I've found that even approaches being able to narrow down where it might be is to just cut cables out from engineering, hoping to find the area with the sink.  Every time i've tried this it ends up gone before I even find it.

If you could check current flowing through wires, it'd be easier, but all you can check is the power in the system, which is just the total output of the SMES's. 

I've heard if you connect the radiation collectors directly to the power grid, you'll blow up the sink, but I can't think of a reasonable IC justification for that, since my character shouldn't know about power sinks, in my mind.  I always play it IC as assuming there is a short or something somewhere, and putting more power to a short is likely to cause a fire, not fix it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:57 pm »

There's no bookmaking in the permabrig, but there is a check in/out computer, so convicts can read all the smut they want. A violin is a cool idea though, and I want to add the piano in, probably in the dining hall.
You can make plenty of bibles, though. Its always fun to walk into permabrig as a chaplain and start 'converting' people. Or get thrown in there.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1654