Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124273 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3660 on: April 15, 2013, 10:34:01 am »

Solar's SMES should not be set to 90k in. That is the max the array can put out as is and when it drops to 89.999999k that smes will stop charging. Set it anywhere from 60 - 80 and it is fine. 50 out gives the station 200. 40 is also okay. Oh and try to wire it without knots. It looks nicer and only takes about 2 more clicks. I can teach if you want.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: April 15, 2013, 10:34:51 am »

This isn't an issue with solars, really.  This is an issue with "you've grabbed an exposed wire that's power the whole station".  The instability is with the power fluctuations, not the safety of electrocuting yourself.  ANY power source that's large enough to handle the entire station, is gonna be painful to route through your body.
Maybe. I have to admit I haven't personally tested either.

The whole station usually draws 120k or so, highest I've seen it go is 200k, but that's after everything was dead and it all needed to be recharged.
It's closer to 350k at peak. I've never seen it higher than 400k though. The Engineering SMES cap at 600k output, but I'm pretty sure the singularity is capable of more than that. I'm tempted to wire the singulo into the main grid to find out exactly how much it's capable of putting out at full power.

Oh and try to wire it without knots. It looks nicer and only takes about 2 more clicks. I can teach if you want.
This. You can easily wire the entire array without a single knot.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:39:23 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: April 15, 2013, 10:40:59 am »

The whole station usually draws 120k or so, highest I've seen it go is 200k, but that's after everything was dead and it all needed to be recharged.
It's closer to 350k at peak. I've never seen it higher than 400k though. The Engineering SMES cap at 600k output, but I'm pretty sure the singularity is capable of more than that. I'm tempted to wire the singulo into the main grid to find out exactly how much it's capable of putting out at full power.
I did that once. It's perfectly capable to charge all SMES'es on the station, though I don't know at what input I set them. Also, the Solars might have been operational.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: April 15, 2013, 10:51:43 am »

Oh and try to wire it without knots. It looks nicer and only takes about 2 more clicks. I can teach if you want.
This. You can easily wire the entire array without a single knot.

I'll give lessons in the bar or something. I see a couple spots where the floor can be pulled up and replaced easily. Engineering itself has way too many wires running everywhere.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: April 15, 2013, 10:59:45 am »

Wiring the solars with no knots at all takes 6 extra clicks, meaning 6 extra pieces of wire.  That's 2 clicks per intersection, but of course, they have to be super precise, since you have to click the actual wire.  The benefit is nonexistent, but then, it looks a little nicer.  Which in all likelihood, nobody is going to see.  Personally I'd rather just get it done faster, and live with knots on the intersections, but to each his own.  I don't understand why it takes extra wire to make a curve, but this is SS13...

If you wire it with the knots at the intersections, you are not doing it wrong.  But you could do it prettier.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: April 15, 2013, 11:01:15 am »

Take pride in your job! And get pissy when people look down on you.

Most of the intersections on the station have no knots.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: April 15, 2013, 11:28:04 am »

Intersectionknots are tolerable, but knots on the main line are a waste of wire.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: April 15, 2013, 11:35:41 am »

Wiring the solars with no knots at all takes 6 extra clicks, meaning 6 extra pieces of wire.  That's 2 clicks per intersection, but of course, they have to be super precise, since you have to click the actual wire.  The benefit is nonexistent, but then, it looks a little nicer.  Which in all likelihood, nobody is going to see.  Personally I'd rather just get it done faster, and live with knots on the intersections, but to each his own.  I don't understand why it takes extra wire to make a curve, but this is SS13...

If you wire it with the knots at the intersections, you are not doing it wrong.  But you could do it prettier.
Protip: Go into Windows and turn on the numpad accessibility.  Now, when you turn Numlock Off, then the numpad will be able to move the mouse by 1 pixel at a time.  Makes clicking wires LOADS easier when you can inch it over via numpad.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: April 15, 2013, 11:56:47 am »

Intersectionknots are tolerable, but knots on the main line are a waste of wire.

To chip in on this obviously controversial topic - I've never seen engineers run out of wire. There's loads of it all over the station and I think the engineering vending machine sells it too. If you want to make nice smooth wires and that helps you enjoy the game then go for it. If you have more fun speeding through the setup and leaving knots all over the place then do that instead.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:04 pm »

To chip in on this obviously controversial topic - I've never seen engineers run out of wire. There's loads of it all over the station and I think the engineering vending machine sells it too. If you want to make nice smooth wires and that helps you enjoy the game then go for it. If you have more fun speeding through the setup and leaving knots all over the place then do that instead.

Also, cargo bay can order electrical maintenance crates which comes with 2-3 electrical toolboxes which all have 2-3 coils of wire each. That's a lot of wire.
Also often called Boowells.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: April 15, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »

The benefit is nonexistent, but then, it looks a little nicer.  Which in all likelihood, nobody is going to see.
Er, I would think that less power wasted by knots == more time over 80k (or whatever limit you set it to), and thus more time spent charging. The difference is still very small, but not "nonexistent".

To chip in on this obviously controversial topic - I've never seen engineers run out of wire. There's loads of it all over the station and I think the engineering vending machine sells it too. If you want to make nice smooth wires and that helps you enjoy the game then go for it.
Eh. If the RNG hates you you might run out of red wire, though. And since aesthetics are a major motivation for doing this in the first place...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:16:32 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: April 15, 2013, 12:19:21 pm »

I don't worry about color at all, but if you merge fragments with partial coils you can change colors via spess magic. There are two machines on station that have 10 coils each.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: April 15, 2013, 12:26:24 pm »

The benefit is nonexistent, but then, it looks a little nicer.  Which in all likelihood, nobody is going to see.
Er, I would think that less power wasted by knots == more time over 80k (or whatever limit you set it to), and thus more time spent charging. The difference is still very small, but not "nonexistent".

I haven't looked at the code myself so i can't verify it, but I've seen a post on the tg forums where someone claimed that from looking at the code knots had no effect whatsoever on power wastage.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: April 15, 2013, 12:59:11 pm »

I don't worry about color at all, but if you merge fragments with partial coils you can change colors via spess magic. There are two machines on station that have 10 coils each.

Make a red/yellow alternating pattern for high-tension wires. Looks cautionary and aesthetic.

From other news, don't expect to see me online for at least a couple of days.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:07 pm »

Engineering borgs need to be able to pick up cable coils. It sucks to have to wait after running out of wire for it to recharge.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 1654