Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124265 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3645 on: April 15, 2013, 12:04:09 am »

I was the only sec onboard and there was no CE or captain. Plus you screwed me over by starting that tiny singularity and destroying the tools lying around. If I'd had a toolbelt I'd have figured out the AI wire to the doors and gotten out, then proceeded to murder the heck out of you.

Also, it wasn't pressure that pushed me, I moved. Door stun isn't long enough to kill you from full health and you have time to move out of it unless you manage to hit them again the split second they can move before they get up. Dunno how the engineer didn't get out of it. So tip for future Mal AI. Doors are not a guaranteed kill.

Oh. And the singularity engine has a station bounced radio by one of the emitters. It wasn't an intercom.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:12:38 am by Kaitol »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:52 am »

Hardsuits slow your movements down, and apparently your recovery times too. So if the engineer had just come back from wiring the solars, then stun-locking them with the doors should be entirely possible.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:05 am »

I had an engineering hardsuit on too.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: April 15, 2013, 12:14:19 am »

Then I have no clue. Sorry.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: April 15, 2013, 12:25:15 am »

I was the only sec onboard and there was no CE or captain. Plus you screwed me over by starting that tiny singularity and destroying the tools lying around. If I'd had a toolbelt I'd have figured out the AI wire to the doors and gotten out, then proceeded to murder the heck out of you.

Also, it wasn't pressure that pushed me, I moved. Door stun isn't long enough to kill you from full health and you have time to move out of it unless you manage to hit them again the split second they can move before they get up. Dunno how the engineer didn't get out of it. So tip for future Mal AI. Doors are not a guaranteed kill.

Oh. And the singularity engine has a station bounced radio by one of the emitters. It wasn't an intercom.

Door stun IS long enough to keep you in place, especially when I'm controlling the door and manually making it close and open as soon as it can. The pressure of atmosphere escaping DID suck you out a bit. You never stood up.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: April 15, 2013, 12:38:38 am »

I distinctly remember moving out of the way, then being able to immediately move freely. Although I stood still a bit to catch my breath and taunt the camera.

Also I was terrified of laser.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:44:42 am by Kaitol »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: April 15, 2013, 12:43:15 am »

Someone should have done a 2 minute appendix removal in the shuttle for me. I had a toolbelt and some glass. Tons of things to do the job. Although maybe missing a sheet. Not sure what all works other than bedsheets and surgical drapes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: April 15, 2013, 02:26:17 am »

So I've been dicking around in a round completely alone, and have a small handle on how solars work.

1: They start unwired, so adding the wires links them to the grid.
2: They start uncalibrated, you can set them to 'auto' to follow the sun.
3: The SMES (giant battery) starts uncalibrated.  The SMES has a power threshold and output.  If it receives more than X current, it begins storing, if it needs more than Y it starts discharging.  I don't know entirely how it works.  I do know that if the power ever reaches 0%, they break and someone has to go manually reset them to start sending energy again.  Instead, I got some wire cutters and simply rerouted power around the SMES, and into the main grid.

Routing solars into the main grid is slightly unstable, there's no buffer of battery to keep the station fed while the solars are eventually, temporarily dark.  However it requires entirely less upkeep or knowing what you're doing, and the APC in each room will suffice for keeping rooms lit during non-peak energy times.  Due to the way the solars are arranged, 2 panels are on the same effective side, and will shut down together, which drops power by half, so during these times certain high-energy areas can deplete their APC for a time.  However in casual use, they should never suffer real drops of power.

I've also learned that, in a pinch, you can replace an APC's power cell if you have engineering access/PDA, and instal a fully charged cell, letting you run machines via a battery.  This may be just enough to get atmospherics working again, keep medical bay functioning, keep Escape powered, or especially useful when handling newly constructed bases and/or refurbished derelicts, where you may want to run a protolathe briefly by bringing your own power.

Ghetto power, get used to it.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: April 15, 2013, 02:57:13 am »

So I've been dicking around in a round completely alone, and have a small handle on how solars work.

1: They start unwired, so adding the wires links them to the grid.
2: They start uncalibrated, you can set them to 'auto' to follow the sun.
3: The SMES (giant battery) starts uncalibrated.  The SMES has a power threshold and output.  If it receives more than X current, it begins storing, if it needs more than Y it starts discharging.  I don't know entirely how it works.  I do know that if the power ever reaches 0%, they break and someone has to go manually reset them to start sending energy again.  Instead, I got some wire cutters and simply rerouted power around the SMES, and into the main grid.

Routing solars into the main grid is slightly unstable, there's no buffer of battery to keep the station fed while the solars are eventually, temporarily dark.  However it requires entirely less upkeep or knowing what you're doing, and the APC in each room will suffice for keeping rooms lit during non-peak energy times.  Due to the way the solars are arranged, 2 panels are on the same effective side, and will shut down together, which drops power by half, so during these times certain high-energy areas can deplete their APC for a time.  However in casual use, they should never suffer real drops of power.

I've also learned that, in a pinch, you can replace an APC's power cell if you have engineering access/PDA, and instal a fully charged cell, letting you run machines via a battery.  This may be just enough to get atmospherics working again, keep medical bay functioning, keep Escape powered, or especially useful when handling newly constructed bases and/or refurbished derelicts, where you may want to run a protolathe briefly by bringing your own power.

Ghetto power, get used to it.

Keep in mind that APCs do not work properly on constructed areas unless they have been designated as areas of the station via the CE's blueprints.
Also often called Boowells.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: April 15, 2013, 03:24:06 am »

Routing solars into the main grid is slightly unstable,...
It's not just unstable. Sometime when there's a geneticist onboard and you have done this, try touching a live wire without gloves. Preferably after letting the geneticist know what you are doing and where you are.

Granted it's not quite as bad as routing the singulo directly to the main grid, but I expect it's still more than enough to kill.

And battery chargers work via magic, so if someone is willing to keep changing them out, batteries can keep the station alive indefinitely.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:26:31 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: April 15, 2013, 03:53:20 am »

Basically you just set the solar batteries to input at 80-90k and output low enough that they wont empty out completely during the dark times, probly 40-50k is fine.  The only trick is you should let the batteries charge up for a while before allowing them to discharge into the grid.  I dont know how much power the station pulls but my guess solar power alone is sufficient and the singulo is like as unnecessary as it is awesome.

Is the safety hazard really that much worse if the solars are outputting 90k instead of the SME's 50k?  Most of the electricity people are going to mess with will be coming out of the local APC's at safe levels anyway, while the direct lines to those APCs are mostly under the floor anyway.  Wiring straight into the grid sounds way more convenient.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:13:38 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: April 15, 2013, 06:00:50 am »

The whole station usually draws 120k or so, highest I've seen it go is 200k, but that's after everything was dead and it all needed to be recharged.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: April 15, 2013, 07:31:34 am »

Routing solars into the main grid is slightly unstable,...
It's not just unstable. Sometime when there's a geneticist onboard and you have done this, try touching a live wire without gloves. Preferably after letting the geneticist know what you are doing and where you are.

Granted it's not quite as bad as routing the singulo directly to the main grid, but I expect it's still more than enough to kill.
This isn't an issue with solars, really.  This is an issue with "you've grabbed an exposed wire that's power the whole station".  The instability is with the power fluctuations, not the safety of electrocuting yourself.  ANY power source that's large enough to handle the entire station, is gonna be painful to route through your body.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: April 15, 2013, 09:55:49 am »

Well, normally getting shocked by an electrified door doesn't kill you outright if you weren't hurt before, but I've heard that wiring the singularity directly into the grid makes door shocks fatal. Obviously that's very nasty if there's a traitor/subverted AI. Don't know if solars generate enough to do the same

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: April 15, 2013, 10:00:29 am »

Also, Andrea, I have to say one thing about that cult round yesterday. You were the sec officer that told me about that Axl and the captain found tomes on the CMO and the HoP, so they were arrested etc. If you were wondering why I didn't instantly post it on the newsfeed, it was because I was a cultist too :P . Quite a shame, really, because that was very well RPd.
The mime asked help with "Binding a book", but flashed me and dragged me on a convert rune hidden under a secret door. She also was the only cultist that I had some decent communication with in the part of the round that I played, but as she was the mime, it obviously was a little hard. I was trying, but Dr Horrible just didn't seem to give any fucks. I wish I could've kept playing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 1654