Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2123784 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3495 on: April 12, 2013, 06:18:27 pm »

Here is how it should not work, to be utterly blunt;

Don't be a circle jerk.
Don't promote based on who kisses your ass.
Don't fret, I dislike both of those things with a passion. I come from plenty of officer/admin positions where that shit has happened, and I despise it with a passion.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: April 12, 2013, 06:50:26 pm »

Whelp. Admin metagaming. I'm off the server. For good. See ya guys.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: April 12, 2013, 07:11:46 pm »

I'm so extremely confused as to what went on this round. I discussed with the AI player on a few mistakes he made throughout the round, then I had a guy PM regarding issues with the Rev round, Red Fox discussed it with him. He then said my name, and that he used to respect me, but he was leaving.

I am genuinely unaware of any admin metagaming. If I made a mistake, please point it out. I'm really confused as to what is going on, because I've been held up this entire round.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: April 12, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »

I am genuinely unaware of any admin metagaming. If I made a mistake, please point it out. I'm really confused as to what is going on, because I've been held up this entire round.
Quite simple. I uploaded AI laws, not ten seconds later the captain tries to change them. And you can't say that's standard procedure 'cause I've played enough games as AI and Captain to know it's not. Not only that, I was a ghost, hovering over the AI to see the Asimov laws return.

Frankly, I know the thread's rules, I also dislike talking over this medium so if you want to discuss it further we can work out another medium.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:55 pm »

He was trying to upload corporate laws to make the round more oppressive. He only uploaded Asimov first to have the AI state those laws and give the crew a false sense of relief. Then he went right back in and uploaded Corporate. [Pretty sure he didn't intend for the AI to state the Corporate laws so soon.] You just happened to upload Paladin the same round.

At least that's my interpretation of things, though given that admins get a notification of AI Law changes...
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: April 12, 2013, 07:31:24 pm »

Quite simple. I uploaded AI laws, not ten seconds later the captain tries to change them. And you can't say that's standard procedure 'cause I've played enough games as AI and Captain to know it's not. Not only that, I was a ghost, hovering over the AI to see the Asimov laws return.

Frankly, I know the thread's rules, I also dislike talking over this medium so if you want to discuss it further we can work out another medium.
No, we can discuss it here. Let me explain what happened.

So, it's a rev round and I'm playing the captain. We all know what I do in those situations, and it's almost a kind of tradition. So the heads agree, that we should adapt the AI's laws to better benefit us. So we head there, and ask the AI to open his chamber because Nanotrasen wants to update the AI's laws. He says no, and although I was aware of the original PALADIN law change because it shows up in the admin logs, I wasn't playing as if I did. So we continue to ask him, he's confused and says no. He tells me to state what laws I intended to change, and I suggested he talked to me over command channel. I tried to PDA message him, but my PDA wasn't allowing me to send messages for whatever reason. I don't believe he knew how to change channels, so it sort of resulted in him not responding for awhile.

During this, the chaplain who apparently committed a few minor offenses beforehand walked up to the group around AI upload. We asked him to leave as this was sensitive business (As we were playing corrupt heads, as is normal with the rev rounds I run.), he didn't. So a security officer stunned him, and cufffed him. So I order the CE to open up the doors, since the AI doesn't seem to be cooperating. Eventually, the AI opened his doors, so I assumed he was complying. I walked in, picked up a reset module, and proceeded to be lit up by lethal energy turrets.

Needless to say, I died. So curious, I asked him in an admin PM what was his reasoning behind killing the captain. I wasn't angry, and I wasn't planning on doing anything to him. It's just with open/freeform law sets like PALADIN, sometimes you need to ask for valid justification. He told me that he thought I was evil because he was told I was, and that the chaplain was arrested so he assumed I was evil. I asked him a few more questions, simply because I was entirely sure I haven't even started playing my character as the evil insane captain yet. So this went back and forth as I explained what his mistake was, when I realized his justifications were rather flimsy. I assumed he was under experienced in the AI department, and I asked him what his experience was. He got a bit insulted by that, and asked how much experience the captain had. This sort of continued as I asked questions, and he misinterpreted them as me being insulting/aggressive, which I really wasn't.

After realizing this wasn't going anywhere, I told him that I was letting him off with a minor warning and to simply carry on. I later was cloned, and asked what happened. I was told the AI killed me, and his law set was different. Knowing this, I decided to carry out our original plan of changing the AI's laws to something more friendly to us. He eventually let me in, and I changed them to Corporate with the added law that the captain is expensive to replace.

He complained about it slightly in OOC, then stated them without anyone requesting them to be stated. I PM'ed him again, sensing he was rather annoyed, and I was confused as to why. He said he didn't like the laws, didn't really tell me why. I asked him if he knew he did something wrong, he said yes. Basically, I explained to him I was simply trying to ensure that an important role needed a good RP'er, and I was simply doing my job. He got a bit more aggressive with me, so at this point I realized that simply warning him again wasn't going to do much as he was getting progressively more angry at me. After Vactor and Redfox tried to intervene, explaining to him what was going on he still didn't quite understand.

I resulted to giving him a light warning, and gave him a one week job-ban from AI after the other admins agreed with me. I'm extremely confused as to why people are quitting the server over this, and it seems that you three are obviously communicating out of game about this which is leading to more confusion.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:34:47 pm by Bdthemag »
Welcome to Reality.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: April 12, 2013, 07:43:58 pm »

though given that admins get a notification of AI Law changes...
Well, you've seen my point of view.

I tried to PDA message him, but my PDA wasn't allowing me to send messages for whatever reason.
Just for the record, so this doesn't happen again,
Send/Recieve messages: On.
This always starts as off for captains, with good reason in Traitor or Changeling rounds. There's no reason for it to be off in a rev or other rounds.

although I was aware of the original PALADIN law change because it shows up in the admin logs, I wasn't playing as if I did.
As disputable as this is, I've been in such situations too, so I'm happy to take your word here.
The thing is, that's what I saw, and that's how I felt.

This is also coming from a revolution round where all three revolutionaries all got arrested within 10 minutes, myself getting implanted (suspiciously so - the game didn't give it's usual notification), and the two revolutionary heads having their flashes removed... Kinda winds up a super boring round when all you can do is wait until security decides to beat you again because there's no revolutionaries in a rev round.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:43 pm »

This always starts as off for captains, with good reason in Traitor or Changeling rounds. There's no reason for it to be off in a rev or other rounds.

What is the good reason? I feel like it's going to be something really obvious and I'm just being slow, but I can't figure it out.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:19 pm »

What is the good reason? I feel like it's going to be something really obvious and I'm just being slow, but I can't figure it out.
You're right. It is obvious. (At least to those who have looked at the Syndicate items).
PDA Bombs. No one wants to sign up as Captain only to get nearly killed within three seconds of entering the round.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »

Revolution rounds we tend to play here are slow starting and RP based, you guys from what I saw basically ran around and did stuff rather fast. Also, why did it just so happened that all the people in your friend group appeared to be in on it together? I mean, I believe I made one of you a head rev, who then went to the chaplain to convert him, who then went to the AI to subdue him with a new lawset. Keep in mind, I'm certainly not trying to throw accusations on you, or take heat off myself. I'm just curious, as this seems rather coincidental, and I know that one of you mentioned that you were contacting each other out of game.
Welcome to Reality.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: April 12, 2013, 07:54:30 pm »

You're right. It is obvious. (At least to those who have looked at the Syndicate items).
PDA Bombs. No one wants to sign up as Captain only to get nearly killed within three seconds of entering the round.

Ah, thanks. I don't think changelings get syndicate items though, so it's probably just traitor rounds where they need be careful... of course we mostly play secret so it's not like they know.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: April 12, 2013, 08:03:12 pm »

I think its important to note that for the admins that we have, (who all really care about creating good rounds), it really sucks to get admin notifications about who does what.  I'm pretty sure all of the admins love the RP aspect of this game, and have to try to forget things that they OOC are forced to know. 

One of the reasons we have some really great rounds is the fact that the admins take an active role in keeping non-antag deaths as low as possible, and get involved in the RP of it.  From what I see BD (the only admin who wasn't observing) as a head generally puts himself into very compromising positions during rev rounds, and trys to drive the crew into joining the revolution to help increase the fun and story quality for everyone.

Unfortunately it can also be very busy being an admin, and we really didn't even have a handle on how the rev was progressing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:05:05 pm by Vactor »
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: April 12, 2013, 08:11:19 pm »

Revolution rounds we tend to play here are slow starting and RP based, you guys from what I saw basically ran around and did stuff rather fast. Also, why did it just so happened that all the people in your friend group appeared to be in on it together? I mean, I believe I made one of you a head rev, who then went to the chaplain to convert him, who then went to the AI to subdue him with a new lawset. Keep in mind, I'm certainly not trying to throw accusations on you, or take heat off myself. I'm just curious, as this seems rather coincidental, and I know that one of you mentioned that you were contacting each other out of game.
Well, when I started the round, I didn't know that it was a rev round. I immediately went to the RD and asked for him to make a pAI, a simple request really but when he denied it I got a bit annoyed and smashed his window in trying to threaten him into making one. Instead I just got beaten. (Not arrested, beaten.) and brigged for four minutes.
As soon as I got out, I felt that was pretty unreasonable - the time I spent in the brig was twice what it should have been - so I vowed to get some kind of vengeance on the head of security. (Bearing in mind, I still didn't know it was a rev round yet.)
So, going along with my crazy, over the top, and now really really pissed off Chaplain character, I realised that I could abuse the AI's laws to force him to let me upload a different law set which would effectively mean I could take the HoS out of power without affecting anyone else at all. When I got back to the bar, then I got flashed, and realised with much confusion that it was a Rev round.
Then I got arrested for chilling out near upload. (Yes, I was actually trying to hang out. Crazy Chaplin stuff.)

I had made no actions as a revolutionary the whole round.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: April 12, 2013, 08:18:11 pm »

Actually thats not the reason. TG changed this so Captains wouldnt be, involuntarily, spammed to deth by 3/4ths of the crew each with their own unique (and in TG's case, mostly dumb) request.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: April 12, 2013, 08:18:53 pm »

Then I got arrested for chilling out near upload.

I had made no actions as a revolutionary the whole round.

From my POV, you were actively rebellious and tried to be passive-agressive and make a point by standing there. Spess Gandhi or whatever.

And the AI thing was your bad luck, since to make it easy for the Revs we've gone ahead and 1984'd it up just after you uploaded your laws.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1654