Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121599 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3165 on: April 08, 2013, 04:10:24 pm »

Useful tip: you can fit oxygen tanks (maybe even emergency ones) to oxygen canisters and fill them up extra. I think you can even do this with jetpacks. Not that you generally need to do this, of course, since an oxygen tank should last nearly forever on its own, but if you know you're going to be using it for, say, 4 hours straight, it might be beneficial to keeping you alive.

A fully full tank should last an hour, maybe two. I haven't really timed it. But guess what. There's tanks everywhere and most fit in your backpack and pockets. It's finding a refill that can be difficult depending on your job.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: April 08, 2013, 04:15:32 pm »

IMO, hand tele is the best jetpack. Creating a portal stops you as if you were near actual turf. Then you can just walk the way you want to go. Also can be used for teleporting, which is quite handy. There was one time where I got parapenned and spaced, but they didn't empty my pockets. I hit the derelict and tele'd back, much to the surprise of my opponent.
If you can't get a hand tele, carry around a stack of metal bars (or just metal + a few bars, build new ones as needed), and lay down a square of ... whatever the metal supports under the station are called, and push off that in whichever direction you wish to go. Of course this leaves a thin trail, so might not be the best idea if you are trying to escape someone. You can also just throw a bar with the same effect, though try to avoid throwing the entire stack...

If it holds air and can be held in your hand, it can be filled with a canister. Useful.
Just make sure you fill it from the white or blue canisters, not the red or orange ones.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: April 08, 2013, 04:18:03 pm »

Best to refill with blue canisters. White canisters will cause you to have to set internals pressure higher, which means you use your air supply a lot faster.
Nothing important here, move along.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: April 08, 2013, 04:41:39 pm »

I think the default pressure for the regular tanks is around 20. You can preserve oxygen and still be good if you lower it to 16.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: April 08, 2013, 06:38:05 pm »

Well, I found emergency air tanks hold less air, so they run out much faster than the larger tanks or jetpacks.

What are you talking about? They all max out to the same pressure.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: April 08, 2013, 06:39:57 pm »

Yeah, but emergency tanks have less volume. They hold less air than the larger air tanks.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: April 08, 2013, 07:04:14 pm »

EDIT2: Lily, the chef that serves nutriment.
Axl, the chef quartermaster that serves parapen toxin-spiked Caukwell-burgers :P

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: April 08, 2013, 08:26:48 pm »

Love these kinda games heavy on the roleplay, and would very much like to get involved but looks intimidating as all hell xD will go through a bunch of tutorials and resources online on playing the game before I play

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: April 08, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »

Don't really need to do that before you play, it'll just confuse you. Join as an assistant and keep the wiki up in your browser for guides.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: April 08, 2013, 09:04:32 pm »

Yeah, I started a few weeks ago and it's not too bad. Start as assistant so you have no responsibilities while you learn the controls. Once you've figured that out, see who needs help in their department and get them to mentor you a bit. I've found the experienced players very helpful to new people - just make sure to mention you're new in the OOC chat so they know to go over things from the basics.

Bikari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: April 08, 2013, 09:05:36 pm »

I'd rather have a better idea of the professions and their roles on the station first than join up and 20 minutes into my job as an assistant I've set the station on fire and accidentally unleashed a horde of undead alien xenobabies on the crew >: ... IT COULD HAPPEN WE DON'T KNOW. I have really bad luck with going in blind.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: April 08, 2013, 09:12:46 pm »

Botanist is a good job for learning the interface. It's low stress, especially if there isn't a chef.
Also, try bothering an Assistant to hack the seed vending machine. Then you can grow Plump Helmets like a real dorf!

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: April 08, 2013, 09:35:57 pm »

I'd rather have a better idea of the professions and their roles on the station first than join up and 20 minutes into my job as an assistant I've set the station on fire and accidentally unleashed a horde of undead alien xenobabies on the crew >: ... IT COULD HAPPEN WE DON'T KNOW. I have really bad luck with going in blind.
I know the feeling but personally, I'd suggest just jumping in as Janitor then learning from the tutorials as you go. Janitor is a pretty tame job so it'll get you wanting to progress into the more interesting jobs, but will let into the game easily, as no one's surprised or annoyed when a janitor just ignores them.

The reason I suggest Janitor is simply because Assistants are boring as hell, and Botany, while not having much responsibility on the ship, has a massive amount of responsibility to their plants. (And plants can be damned needy.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: April 08, 2013, 09:36:53 pm »

Love these kinda games heavy on the roleplay, and would very much like to get involved but looks intimidating as all hell xD will go through a bunch of tutorials and resources online on playing the game before I play

Once you grasp the basics, it's just learning individual jobs. I recommend starting as a cargo tech. It's a low stress job, where you're actually doing something, and you can get a handle on how to play. (Also, people hate assistants))

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: April 08, 2013, 09:40:57 pm »

And that is why I generally try to assign a security guard to research, and tell him to watch Toxins like a hawk.

Of course, actually having a regular sec officer and a HoP whos doing their job at the SAME TIME, is no simple matter.

Of course, the one time I was paranoid and made sure the scientist never left the lab with bombs, he got all pissy and bombed the station after everything went to hell.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:47:55 pm by Kaitol »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1654