Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121069 times)

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3075 on: April 06, 2013, 11:21:38 pm »

How exactly does one get on to the server? Google isn't being helpful, and I can't find anything on the Byond client. Is it not on Byond or something? Or am I just being an idiot and its right in front of my face?
go to beyond and click on add server and on page one of this thread get the ip address and paste it in. hope that helps.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: April 06, 2013, 11:33:30 pm »

How exactly does one get on to the server? Google isn't being helpful, and I can't find anything on the Byond client. Is it not on Byond or something? Or am I just being an idiot and its right in front of my face?
go to beyond and click on add server and on page one of this thread get the ip address and paste it in. hope that helps.
Welp, turns out I feel like an idiot. It worked like a charm.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: April 06, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »

Welp, turns out I feel like an idiot. It worked like a charm.
well i am glad it worked. i hope you have fun.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: April 06, 2013, 11:48:31 pm »

People need to learn to prioritise threats.

Example:
The space ninja is FAR more dangerous than the bloody wannabe chaplain!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: April 07, 2013, 12:48:20 am »

Well, actually I didn't arrest the Chaplain the third time I caught her doing something bad because I was occupied with capturing the ninja.

Which ultimately failed. I don't think you can strip the ninja suit off of the ninja.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: April 07, 2013, 12:49:46 am »

The difference between the space ninja and the chaplain is that we knew what the space ninja wanted. The chaplain... I still have no idea what she was doing.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: April 07, 2013, 10:13:10 am »

Question, something I can't seem to find general consensus in regards to: regardless of cloning being common and accepted practice in the 25th century or not; are clones in the station supposed to know they've been cloned?

If not, who's supposed to know the truth about it (I assume geneticists and heads, and maybe the rest of the medical staff)?

If cloning was meant to be a hidden practice, you'd think NT would take better precautions and move genetics to a more secluded place. Also, there's such a limited time frame available to bring a fresh clone out of genetics that they may wake up while being carried away and suspect what happened to them, even as incredibly confused as a newborn clone may be.
Or perhaps it's meant to be a secret hidden in plain sight; the average Joe may not even know what those machines in genetics are for, or be told that the cloning pod is for experiments on humanized monkeys.

There wouldn't be a problem with secrecy with the implanted heads of staff, and NT would hire as geneticists only people willing to keep it a secret, whether they find it ethical or not.
Then again, imagine a (non-implanted) geneticist not willing anymore to keep silent, maybe because they got cloned themselves and found out they're not able to accept it as they thought they would; plot for a Revolution round writing itself.

So, cloning in the 25th century: more like The 6th Day or more like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: April 07, 2013, 10:35:35 am »

Cloning is a well known practice, clones don't know they're clones and, should they be told, are supposed to go insane.

Also, you suffer from amnesia of events leading up to your death. We... haven't decided how far it goes.
Far back enough that no memories of the events leading to death remains, more than that is up to the player to RP

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: April 07, 2013, 10:40:27 am »

Wait, so why does everybody space or destroy bodies of non-targets if they're not allowed to remember who killed them.

Also, why would being told  you're a clone make everybody go insane. The original is dead, there is no identity confusion. Human minds aren't THAT fragile. I mean, you might have do some thinking over the next period of time, but shit; requiring people to RP going insane just because they're a clone? Especially when its a common practice? Why?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: April 07, 2013, 10:51:31 am »

I'm pretty sure it's the thought that you died that gets people. Since nobody in the real world has ever been killed for an extended period and brought back to life, nobody knows how people would actually react. It'd be a lot worse if you found your body, too.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:28 am »

I'm pretty sure it's the thought that you died that gets people. Since nobody in the real world has ever been killed for an extended period and brought back to life, nobody knows how people would actually react. It'd be a lot worse if you found your body, too.
What about people that drown and are resusicateted or have to have heart surgery where they are effectively dead for a period of time.  Or when people have heart attacks and are brought back by defibiulator's after a period of time.  I realize it's not technically an extended period of time but there are some cases of people being technically dead and brought back.
Nom nom nom

Inscribed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: April 07, 2013, 11:05:47 am »

The idea that people react badly to cloning makes even less sense then the whole 'No memory of what happened just before dying' thing. I mean, in most cases, you wake up naked with massive memory-loss in medbay, and cloning is well known fact of life, what conclusion are you supposed to make?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: April 07, 2013, 11:06:29 am »

Or you might just think "Hey, I'm alive right now. Kinda weird to have a dead 'twin' of sorts at my feet." I'd probably give my dead self a proper burial.

The Nanotrasen mythos goes with "they'd go insane" and "short term memory is gone due to trauma" so that seems to be part of the rules.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: April 07, 2013, 11:20:13 am »

I can accept that some people would go insane from knowing that they have been cloned because humans subconsciously perceive themselves as important or special.
This is a self deception that every healthy person have, but is aware of in varying degrees. Just like a person having their self devalued by others in his or her environment might take suicide because they think they are worthless and their life is not worth living.
An unconditioned mind or a person of weak mental fortitude might have that self image shattered and spiral into a mindset that it does not matter if they die, as a new one can be simply be made.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: April 07, 2013, 11:27:06 am »

well i die of carp mostly so not much problems there.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 1654