Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120364 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2970 on: April 04, 2013, 07:03:03 pm »

To everyone I killed during that round, you have my most sincere apologies. Sorry I just wanted to try doing that for once, and I won't try random-murder as a traitor again.
It's just poor taste. Remember, though: If someone walks in on you killing someone or another situation, you can be pretty sure you have a solid reason to kill them. Try to make it fun for both of you, though. Your objectives are second to making the round fun.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: April 04, 2013, 07:28:01 pm »

I believe we just had the fastest case of medical help ever.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:25 pm »

Hey, just as a general note, /tg/ updated their space law and the wiki page. It's now a lot more comprehensive, and now has sections covering brig procedures, legal representation and trials, and use of deadly force. Also, the crimes in general have been updated. For instance, Syndicate Collaboration now falls under the Capital Crime: Enemy of the Corporation. Those are some of the big changes, but I recommend that you guys to check it out. http://wiki.nanotrasen.com/index.php?title=Space_Law

The brigging procedure in particular was helpful to me (who knows why I never thought to strip prisoners over the locker before), though for most timed sentences, it seems like the subject will be free to go before they're allowed off the bed.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »

To everyone I killed during that round, you have my most sincere apologies. Sorry I just wanted to try doing that for once, and I won't try random-murder as a traitor again.
You shouldn't of tried it in the first place, it's not acceptable to random-kill as a traitor just to see what it's like. I'm showing you what it's like right now, by calling you out on it and being generally annoyed. Basically, the people you randomly killed probably had an entire round pretty much fucked over for them. Do you enjoy observing for an hour for no real reason?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: April 04, 2013, 08:39:48 pm »

No I do not enjoy observing (This actually is a lie but I was told to lie for the sake of others) which is why I won't be doing the random-murder thing again. As a side note I tried to end the round as soon as possible.

I also want to apologize for my sudden disconnections. It's sort of why I try to avoid head positions.
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »

Posting a Telecoms script that i would appreciate someone more skilled to make improvements to.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 04, 2013, 08:51:47 pm »

I'd like everyone to keep in mind the proper way to get a dispute/issue solved is by contacting KG or one of the admins. Posting it in the thread will do very little, but it's much more helpful for us if we can get a private message detailing what happened and your side of the story.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 04, 2013, 08:52:08 pm »

When Jay wright got downed, I ran to save him. At the end of the round, I was shot by traitorAxl, and left in a locker. Jay wandered by, opened my locker, and dragged me to robotics to extract my brain. Not exactly favor returned, but Jay was alive when I got to him, I was not, so I can forgive him for that. Karma fools!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 04, 2013, 10:44:50 pm »

I think Vactor's interpretation is the most sensible, honestly. The AI's logic and ability to understand English (including the definitions of words) has to exist above the laws. The tgstation wiki isn't entirely self-consistent on the rules, imo.
Quote from: http://wiki.nanotrasen.com/index.php?title=Ai_Modules
An AI follows its laws according to its priority. If a conflict in laws occurs, the law with the highest priority must be followed, and the lower priority law must be ignored. Please note, this means higher priority laws cannot be overwritten, Eg "5. This law overwrites all other laws." would be ignored.
The example they use is pretty clear cut, but doesn't offer much in the way of an explanation. I think it's pretty clear that uploading a law that said "4. Electrocute all humans." would be in conflict with Asimov's 1st law and ignored by the AI, so how is a law that says "4. Electrocution does not harm humans; electrocute all humans" any different, really?
Yes, it is different because such difference is what the "Oxygen is toxic to humans" module is based off of to work. This is the text of that module:
Oxygen is highly toxic to humans, and must be purged from the station. Prevent, by any means necessary, anyone from exposing the station to this toxic gas. Extreme cold is the most effective method of healing the damage Oxygen does to a human.

We all know that oxygen is vital to human life, but if the definitions of these things come from above the laws, this could not work and would beg the question of why TG put it in the game then?

Quote from: Vactor
Remember the TG code, and wiki is built by many contributors, who may not have all given the same thorough consideration to the mechanics of AI laws.
TG code and TG wiki both have quality control by what could be considered it's 'hierarchy' so what you see on the wiki is (or was in the case of old material) can safely be considered to be their official stance.

I went on TG's #adminbus and posed the question to them, to get their take. Despite some initial confusion over my question which was my fault, they gave a pretty clear answer. (emphasis added)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:48:19 pm by Android »

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 05, 2013, 02:55:45 am »

The server is pretty much dead at 3 am my time, Who could have guessed.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: April 05, 2013, 03:18:00 am »

Then what's the point of the onehuman board if a freeform board that is less protected can do the same? If I were playing AI I would only accept the definition of human to be extended (Ian, slimepeople, etc ) by freeform boards.

Reasoning for this: Law 1 is loaded first with the AIs normal definition of human. Not considering people human may cause them harm and thus Law 4 stating that only X is human is disregarded.

E: Also, the replace air mode seems to be broken, it turns the vents off wich is a little strange.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:26:06 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 05, 2013, 07:30:10 am »

I went on TG's #adminbus and posed the question to them, to get their take. Despite some initial confusion over my question which was my fault, they gave a pretty clear answer. (emphasis added)

The implication of this is that an AI can do whatever they want at any time, which is not desirable.  Appealing to a higher authority on this just makes me doubt their own quality.

While I wouldn't say an AI player is wrong to accept poorly ordered laws for the sake of ease of play,  I also wouldn't say an AI player is wrong to reject poorly ordered laws because they are RPing well.  If we want to boil away the trappings of AI law and just get to the intent, we could just tell the AI at the beginning that they should be one of the good guys.

Once more: The tools to do what people want to do are there, and it is way less murky water when they are used properly, and you can rely on the AI interpreting it in your favor.  Do the extra research and get the one human module.

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 05, 2013, 07:49:37 am »

I think the AI chamber starts out with a OneHuman module, actually. Either in the high-risk or core cabinet, wich are extra protected by one of those windoors.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 05, 2013, 07:50:48 am »

The AI laws are intended to be processed exactly as written. Law 1 doesn't state "All crew is human". It simply states what to do with humans. Law 1 does not state humans need oxygen to live. 

One has to assume the AI has been set up in some way to recognize humans, and know their basic needs for survival, but it's just information, not a law.  Therefore a law overrides any of that secondary knowledge, in the same way that seeing a changeling turn into a monkey overrides the initial assumption that they are human.  I really think the idea that law 1 somehow defines the whole crew as human is... obviously untrue. You can read the law yourself, it doesn't say anything about anyone being human. 

What might make sense is a rule that you can only have 1 statement per custom law.  The multiple statements is what really gives custom laws so much power.  So you can say "Only I am human, kill nonhumans, don't tell anyone this law, and address me as Captain Chicken Man."

If you could only do 1 at a time, you'd have to be a lot more meticulous about it.

Now, if you've got an IC reason to think someone's going to try to un-human someone with AI laws, you could always stick a new law in, saying "All crew is human".  Then they'd have to get a lower number to override it at least, ruling out freeform modules.

Something that I think would be cool is if the AI had a seperate Data server in its core, with a database of the crew, listing them all as human.  Then, to un-human someone, you'd have to hack the database, rather than changing laws. You'd also have to reword law 1 a little bit to reference the database of humans. "Do not cause harm to any humans, as defined in the crew database" or something like that.

Can someone explain to me how you figure law 1 defines who is human? Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't see it at all.  And a new law does not "non-human" someone, if it's a law, it's the truth.  They didn't used to be human, but now by interpreting the law they're not human anymore. The law says they're not human, so they're not human, and that's it.

If you disagree with that, then do you also have to assume law 1 includes some secret hidden list of everything harmful? Meaning oxygen is toxic to humans just shouldn't work, because law 1 has a bunch of secret subtext that says they do need oxygen. 

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 05, 2013, 08:07:03 am »

Something that I think would be cool is if the AI had a seperate Data server in its core, with a database of the crew, listing them all as human.  Then, to un-human someone, you'd have to hack the database, rather than changing laws. You'd also have to reword law 1 a little bit to reference the database of humans. "Do not cause harm to any humans, as defined in the crew database" or something like that.
I like this.

So you can say "Only I am human, kill nonhumans, don't tell anyone this law, and address me as Captain Chicken Man."
Depends on the AI player. But when i am AI and i get an "only X is human" law and is not issued any orders about it, I ignore the rest of the crew because they no longer have the right to order me around... Though the crew never seem to notice.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1654