Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120658 times)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2805 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:56 am »

The main thing we need to do is to make a habit of checking Crew Monitor Computers every couple of minutes, so if you die by accident in, say, Library, your corpse won't just be ignored (HAPPENED TO ME - I got slimed to death in Chapel, hauled off to Library and... promptly forgotten). If someone forgets to turn sensors to max, he's either an antag or gets on the wrong end of natural selection.
When I'm AI i tend to check the monitor quite often, but when half the crew dont have their sensors on its hard to discern if someone has gotten killed and stripped.
Second problem is to get someone to actually go retrieve the corpse.
It needs to be set up so that the CMO get's a PDA message whenever someone is injured or something. Also suit sensors should be on by default.

Well, it'd be damn hard to be antag if when you stun and kill someone the CMO gets a message saying someone was injured, and where they were injured.  That's almost like if you got an automatic radio broadcast giving your location whenever you get attacked.

Maybe if you put a 2 minute delay on it or something, but even still, assassinations are tough enough as it is.

If you make suit sensors automatically start at max, you're also making it harder for the antag.  Either they turn the sensor off, giving themselves away, or they leave it on, and the AI and CMO can see they're snooping around where they're not supposed to be.  With the current system, there's always a few people who forget to turn their sensors to full, or are RPing a desire for some privacy. (Blue alert does not require suit sensors to full).

I think from an RP standpoint, you would only put sensors to full if you knew you were going into a dangerous situation. 

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: April 02, 2013, 10:26:06 am »

The main thing we need to do is to make a habit of checking Crew Monitor Computers every couple of minutes, so if you die by accident in, say, Library, your corpse won't just be ignored (HAPPENED TO ME - I got slimed to death in Chapel, hauled off to Library and... promptly forgotten). If someone forgets to turn sensors to max, he's either an antag or gets on the wrong end of natural selection.
When I'm AI i tend to check the monitor quite often, but when half the crew dont have their sensors on its hard to discern if someone has gotten killed and stripped.
Second problem is to get someone to actually go retrieve the corpse.
It needs to be set up so that the CMO get's a PDA message whenever someone is injured or something. Also suit sensors should be on by default.

Well, it'd be damn hard to be antag if when you stun and kill someone the CMO gets a message saying someone was injured, and where they were injured.  That's almost like if you got an automatic radio broadcast giving your location whenever you get attacked.

Maybe if you put a 2 minute delay on it or something, but even still, assassinations are tough enough as it is.

If you make suit sensors automatically start at max, you're also making it harder for the antag.  Either they turn the sensor off, giving themselves away, or they leave it on, and the AI and CMO can see they're snooping around where they're not supposed to be.  With the current system, there's always a few people who forget to turn their sensors to full, or are RPing a desire for some privacy. (Blue alert does not require suit sensors to full).

I think from an RP standpoint, you would only put sensors to full if you knew you were going into a dangerous situation.

Why? The most privacy you can get is in the dorms, right next to Brig, it's not like you could go on a hike through the station. The sensors allow you to be found in case of emergency, and the station is a semi-legal research vessel, playing with highly flammable substances (plasma) and potentially murderous alien lifeforms (slimes). The only reason you wouldn't want them on full is if you worry about being spotted somewhere you aren't supposed to be.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: April 02, 2013, 10:29:42 am »

Don't forget that the station uses a black hole as power source.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: April 02, 2013, 10:37:57 am »

scrdest - Yes, If it had been in real life then there would be suit monitors because it would be safer for everyone, but its a game so we'll have to add some flaws.

Damiac - One thing that could be done is to have the crew monitor computers work like the atmos alarm computer, displaying a red dot on the screen if a suit is currently transmitting a deceased signal.

It is possible to tell if someone was killed and stripped, since they won't appear on the computer and won't respond when they kill them. However that doesn't actually help you find their corpse, so... eh.
Unless you remember who had their sensors on it's hard to notice that something is wrong when half the crew is not on the monitor, so you wouldn't inquire about their health. Not to mention that they might be afk or logged off.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: April 02, 2013, 10:47:58 am »

It is possible to tell if someone was killed and stripped, since they won't appear on the computer and won't respond when they kill them. However that doesn't actually help you find their corpse, so... eh.
Unless you remember who had their sensors on it's hard to notice that something is wrong when half the crew is not on the monitor, so you wouldn't inquire about their health. Not to mention that they might be afk or logged off.
I'm talking about the specific instance where someone you remember/wrote down suddenly doesn't appear on the monitoring computer. Though if someone doesn't appear on the computer, you should just bug them about it anyways, so eh. Plus if someone is AFK/Logged off someone should be able to tell you that they're SSD (and that player should have at least told you they're going in OOC as a courtesy thing).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: April 02, 2013, 10:51:56 am »

Making SS13 in source would be nearly impossible because it's so fun in part due to the destructible enviromment, and that is almost impossible in source. You may want to check out centration tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: April 02, 2013, 11:05:10 am »

Making SS13 in source would be nearly impossible because it's so fun in part due to the destructible enviromment, and that is almost impossible in source. You may want to check out centration tough.
Can theoretically do it with func_breakable or props, if you do it like halflife. but making a whole station like that is just a bad idea.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: April 02, 2013, 11:15:11 am »

I'm talking about the specific instance where someone you remember/wrote down suddenly doesn't appear on the monitoring computer. Though if someone doesn't appear on the computer, you should just bug them about it anyways, so eh. Plus if someone is AFK/Logged off someone should be able to tell you that they're SSD (and that player should have at least told you they're going in OOC as a courtesy thing).

I'm usually pretty good about it for the first half hour, hour of the round. But once shit starts hitting the fan, it gets hard to keep track of everyone that's dying and where. But another thing ti take into consideration is that when you're on the asteroid, you don't show up on suit sensors either. Also, it's not just CMO's that should be using the suit sensors, they're also pretty useful for an HoS trying to track suspicious people or finding murder victims. Either way, it's usually a good announcement for a CMO to fire off a message from their desk about turning suit sensors to full, then following it up with a statement over the common channel saying that we'll never find your corpse.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: April 02, 2013, 11:23:50 am »

Guys. That wiki isn't for Urist McStation. Its for /TG/. Please don't take it as the word of god. This is a medium RP server or so I'm told. Not OMFG YOU MENTIONED ONE TINY DETAIL IN OOC, BAN BAN BAN. If you want that go to Baystation 12. Iirc our policy is to keep egregious ic out of ooc. Like saying who the traitor is or where they are.

Aside from that, I've never seen people direct people to their corpse with ooc. I've seen people mention they died to spess karp. Sometimes with a vague location. But that isn't exactly helpful when they could be anywhere in maintenance, an airlock, or deep space.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:30:58 am by Kaitol »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24:17 am »

I have devised the ultimate way to  burn places in sandbox! Woo! We burned the chapel, the courtroom, the fitness room and even the bridge!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: April 02, 2013, 11:26:46 am »

What I'm reading on the Centration forums makes me more than a bit worried that they want to go all "OMG SO GRIMDARK! WE SO DARK AND EDGY GUISE!".

That, and no matter what you're going to lose SOME functionality (think DF artifacts - it would be borderline impossible to include them as-is for a graphical game, because it's way harder to render random, meaningful pictures than random, meaningful descriptions)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: April 02, 2013, 11:33:06 am »

I dunno. Some guy was doing something about random culture art in a roguelike wasn't he? Was it ultimo ratio regum?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: April 02, 2013, 11:35:25 am »

Guys. That wiki isn't for Urist McStation. Its for /TG/. Please don't take it as the word of god. This is a medium RP server or so I'm told. Not OMFG YOU MENTIONED ONE TINY DETAIL IN OOC, BAN BAN BAN. If you want that go to Baystation 12. Iirc our policy is to keep egregious ic out of ooc. Like saying who the traitor is or where they are.

Aside from that, I've never seen people direct people to their corpse with ooc. I've seen people mention they died to spess karp. Sometimes with a vague location. But that isn't exactly helpful when they could be anywhere in maintenance, an airlock, or deep space.

TG wiki isn't for Baystation 12 either. I thought they had pretty similar description, medium roleplay, although I think they're on the lighter end than Urist McStation, which is closer to TG than Baystation, but nowhere near goon. 

Either way, this once again suggests we need some defined rules.  Obviously rule 1 covers most of it, don't be a dick.  But there are legitimately differing viewpoints on the allowed level of IC in OOC. 

I guess it would be nice to see a definite list of 'This is OK in OOC, this isn't'.  So at least I'm not complaining about something that isn't even against the rules. 

Anyway, this is just a few examples of what I've seen, and how severe I think they were.

"Hey guys, I was spaced due to lag, and my body is now at X" - This should be totally fine, lag isn't a gameplay element.
"I was killed by carp! Check the suit sensors to find me" - I don't think this is really OK, but it's unlikely to really mess up the round.
"Holy shit! That's crazy! Stay away from arrivals" - This was when I was murdering the captain in a bomb crater that used to be tool storage.  While nobody mentioned me or the captain, this still totally gave away that something was happening, and even gave a nearby location. Really not ok.
"The CE killed me in the armory!" - This should be obvious.  OOC doesn't get any more IC than that.

In my opinion, only the first should be ok.
I really wouldn't mind that much if people want to say the second is ok.  It's unlikely to mess up the round, and that might be worthwhile to keep people in the game.
The third one seems like the current gray area, whereas I think it should be totally not allowed at all.
The last one is blatant... it shouldn't have to be said that that's not allowed...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:51:20 am by Damiac »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: April 02, 2013, 11:39:26 am »

Is Vactor's server down or what? Can't seem to connect.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40:24 am »

Is Vactor's server down or what? Can't seem to connect.
Yup, and he isn't home for a few hours yet.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1654