Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121210 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2730 on: April 01, 2013, 08:03:17 am »

Machines that we can't make but should be makeable:

(Disposal) Pipe Dispenser (Engineering 3 Data Theory 2)
Microwave (Data Theory 2) - Electromagnetic Spectrum 1/2 would make more sense, it's a goddamn MICROWAVE, we've had them since 1937. 2 fits with Temperature Gun.
Grinder (Data Theory 2) - plus Materials 2, (analyze Scythe - blades for the Grinder :P)
SMES (Power manipulation 2 Data Theory 3/4) - additonally Materials 5, Engineering 3, Power up to 5 (on par with supercapacitors)

Chemmaster
Chef's Chemmaster
Chem dispenser - Materials 3, Engineering 3, Biology 2, Data Theory 2 - Chem Sprayer with Combat swapped for Data, basically, for all three.

Mech charger (Power Manipulation 2 Data Theory 2) - Power Manipulation up to 3, with mech power circuit, Engineering 3, Materials 3
Gun chargers (Power Manipulation 2 Data Theory 2) - Power 3, Combat 3, Data Theory 2, Materials 3
Cell chargers (Power Manipulation 2 Data Theory 2) - again, up to 3 seems more in line with other discoveries there, perhaps 4 - it needs to work with things that already are power-based, Materials 3

You heavily overuse Data Theory, it's supposed to be about, well, information storage and transmission and AI-related tech. Added suggestions for replacements.
Err, no? Data Theory is about making circuit boards.  Every circuit board has a data theory requirement. And most machines are built by data theory, altough I guess that would only count for the chemmasters, mech chargers and chem dispensers as cell chargers and gun chargers and microwaves and grinders aren't exactly machines.

That's why I left the DT requirement for most of them. Circuits are, in fact, data processing. Still, Microwaves shouldn't need a circuit more advanced than an arcade one. And the dispensers need higher requirements since they are pretty damn useful for everyone.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: April 01, 2013, 08:12:37 am »

Ah, I tought you ment I shouldn't make all of them require data theory. I actually didn't look at them because I'm a lazy fuck. Either way, good that that's cleared up. Cell chargers and gun chargers aren't all that advanced tough.

E: That moment when you come out of the cloning pod after a while and notice that you're female all of a sudden. FFFFFUUUUU-
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:19:25 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:02 am »

I just want to make a comment on something that's been happening a bit too much lately, hopefully before it gets out of hand. This is directed at nobody in particular.

No IC in OOC.
Just got killed by someone? Don't say anything in OOC.
Got killed by a carp, and don't think anyone's going to find your body? Don't tell anyone you're dead in OOC.
Shitcurity buckle cuffing you "For No Raison!" Too bad! No IC in OOC!
AI breaking its own laws? It could be an antag! No IC in OOC!
Some non-antag just griefed the hell out of you? Adminhelp it, don't say anything in OOC. (Something I have to remember myself)
Someone's doing a terrible job at their job? Wait till the end of the round, no IC in OOC!

I think this point has to be made, because it seems like it's getting worse and worse.  If someone tries to get themselves cloned using OOC, their corpse should get gibbed.
If someone gives out IC information in OOC, they should be excluded from a couple rounds.
We've had rounds where the radio went out, so some people just start using OOC as the radio.  (Even saying the radio is out is IC in OOC)
This game does not work if people give away IC information in OOC.  Even seemingly unimportant reactions to events in the current round can give IC information away. 
If you jump on the few people that do it now, you can control it. 

Talk about the last round in OOC. Talk about what you want to do next round. Ask about how the hell you do some aspect of your job that confuses you. Talk about how delicious the combination of hot pockets and mountain dew is.  But don't say a damn thing about the current round, except maybe the round type (Since everyone who started the round got to see it, and it's available before you join)

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. 

aaron32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:14 am »

I hopped on and changed the gamemode to secret. A round has started.
(Probably Ex)Admin on Urist McStation, A space station 13 server.
Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123140.0

It's pretty cool. Check it out.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: April 01, 2013, 08:55:53 am »

I just want to make a comment on something that's been happening a bit too much lately, hopefully before it gets out of hand. This is directed at nobody in particular.

No IC in OOC.
Just got killed by someone? Don't say anything in OOC.
Absolutely.

Got killed by a carp, and don't think anyone's going to find your body? Don't tell anyone you're dead in OOC.
No.

Shitcurity buckle cuffing you "For No Raison!" Too bad! No IC in OOC!
AI breaking its own laws? It could be an antag! No IC in OOC!
Some non-antag just griefed the hell out of you? Adminhelp it, don't say anything in OOC. (Something I have to remember myself)
Someone's doing a terrible job at their job? Wait till the end of the round, no IC in OOC!
Absolutely.

Why the singular exception? Because it's the mechanics that killed you/messed with you, not a player. Mind, I'm not saying a player should say anything, but he should be able to. If X only affects his enjoyment of the game, and not anyone elses, I don't see what the problem with mentioning it (albeit subtly, or not at all, if you're a purist) in OOC is.

Now, this is obviously a grey area, and grey areas are, imo, perfectly fine. If you just got killed by the very first carp attack ever, stfu. Letting people know there are carp before the announcement will affect their experience. ... I really can't explain this further, I just know that while I refrain from IC in OOC 99% of the time, there's a 1% that, for whatever reason, due to the limitations of the engine or the low population, seem to me not only fine but necessary.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:38 am »

I don't see how getting killed by carp is a limitation of the engine. There are plenty of IC things you can do about it. 
Turn your suit sensor to full.
If you know there are carp out there, stay away from the windows.
There's usually time to yell out that carp are attacking you before you pass out.

But if you don't manage to do it, in universe, nobody knows it happened.  If the HOS gets himself killed by carp, that's to the antag's advantage.  So it does have an effect on how the round plays out.

While that's really the least problematic version of IC in OOC, to me, there's no difference. If everyone was supposed to know that a carp killed you, and where, the game would broadcast that information itself.  If an antag cleverly knocks the radio out during a carp attack, nobody can yell out where they are being attacked. You'd ruin his cool plan if you just told everyone where your body is (or even that you're dead) in OOC.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: April 01, 2013, 09:44:54 am »

I think there have to be exceptions too. I mean, setting suit sensors to full is all well and good, but sometimes the crew are just too preoccupied to do anything about it or even notice it. Sure the AI might, but if it's something that they should have noticed, it seems dumb to have to leave a round because of some massive spess-fish murderising you (unless it was traitory. Then it's kinda fairer).
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:11 am »

If you think your death is lolrandom and you want to keep playing, admin help it, don't OOC it.  (i'm sure i've been guilty of this too)  I've been willing to move bodies in dead space from a wormhole event to near station locations.  Remember that people randomly disappearing can play into an antagonists hands, and if you OOC every time you die from non-antag issues, then whenever you disappear without comment, it becomes apparent that an antagonist killed you.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:36 am »

Hey, could you try keeping an eye on "Michael_Almeida"? He's just been on in this sandbox round, not saying anything. The bridge got bombed and plasma pumped without explanation. So I think he's behind it. He didn't even ever say anything, but he stayed on the server for a long time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:56:09 am by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:15 am »

Any anti-carp sanctions are all fair in my mind. I hate carp and gravity with a PASSION

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:33 am »

Just keep in mind that a well timed carp attack might be the work of an antagonist.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:32 am »

Antags can summon carp? Wow.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:08 am »

If you think your death is lolrandom and you want to keep playing, admin help it, don't OOC it.  (i'm sure i've been guilty of this too)  I've been willing to move bodies in dead space from a wormhole event to near station locations.  Remember that people randomly disappearing can play into an antagonists hands, and if you OOC every time you die from non-antag issues, then whenever you disappear without comment, it becomes apparent that an antagonist killed you.
Eh, suppose that's true. I'll remember that for the future.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:02 am »

That moment when you have to assasinate an engineer, he accidently sets loose the singulo and dies. Incompetence ftw.

I injected some grey extract in the escape hallway just to be sure.

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:35 am »

Hey, could you try keeping an eye on "Michael_Almeida"? He's just been on in this sandbox round, not saying anything. The bridge got bombed and plasma pumped without explanation. So I think he's behind it. He didn't even ever say anything, but he stayed on the server for a long time.

Sorry I was quiet the entire round, but it wasn't me. All I did was set up some of the solars and then I pretty much holed up in Hydroponics for the rest of the round. Though I did spend a part of my time spawning equipment and dumping anything I wasn't going to use into disposals. But I didn't make any bombs nor did I mess around with atmospherics. That stuff is way out of my league.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 1654