Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121850 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2160 on: March 25, 2013, 12:20:22 pm »

If you're a committer electronics, want to see if you can make my brig rewrites part of the UristMcStation code?

True, but in terms of small revisions to the map like these, that won't affect /tg/station compatibility for the most part. It's when we start adding our own tiles/code/objects that it starts to get dicey.

The biggest problem with making tons of map changes is that they are extremely hard to merge with map updates that TG pushes. The second biggest reason we havn't looked at the map very hard thus far is game balance.

I agree, though in the OP it says that we're running tg, potentially forking off our own branch in the future. I'd rather stick with /tg/ myself, but there are changes which should be made to the map, even just to make it more "our" station.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:24:32 pm by Glloyd »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:21 pm »

I can definitely see a bumrush jail break occurring since there is only one set of doors and no flash between the common area and the entrance.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:54 pm »

If you're a committer electronics, want to see if you can make my brig rewrites part of the UristMcStation code?

True, but in terms of small revisions to the map like these, that won't affect /tg/station compatibility for the most part. It's when we start adding our own tiles/code/objects that it starts to get dicey.

The biggest problem with making tons of map changes is that they are extremely hard to merge with map updates that TG pushes. The second biggest reason we havn't looked at the map very hard thus far is game balance.

I agree, though in the OP it says that we're running tg, potentially forking off our own branch in the future. I'd rather stick with /tg/ myself, but there are changes which should be made to the map, even just to make it more "our" station.

I guess part of this issue is determining where we want to go with the server. If we want to keep it semi-private as it is right now, map changes can be viewed more openly. But if we want to go fully public, aka putting our server on the game hub, we need to keep the map fairly balanced out of fairness to all.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 25, 2013, 12:28:47 pm »

From what I recall of my time way back when, you can make maps without effecting the code. I'm not sure if you can move them around between updates, though. As long as you don't add any text to the code strings, it should be perfectly compatible with any /tg/ updates.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 25, 2013, 12:29:27 pm »

I guess part of this issue is determining where we want to go with the server. If we want to keep it semi-private as it is right now, map changes can be viewed more openly. But if we want to go fully public, aka putting our server on the game hub, we need to keep the map fairly balanced out of fairness to all.

I agree, personally, I'd rather stay semi-private, because this is one of the few servers I can stand, mainly because of the people. But that's just my opinion.

I can definitely see a bumrush jail break occurring since there is only one set of doors and no flash between the common area and the entrance.

Hehehe, I had that in mind when making it. The whole point is to make it so that when people are permabrigged, they don't view it as the end of the game and just commit suicide or ghost.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:19 pm »

If nobody even bothers using the permabrig more than once, and we do have a small server pop, then it doesn't look like you can get a jailbreak.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 25, 2013, 12:36:21 pm »

I agree, personally, I'd rather stay semi-private, because this is one of the few servers I can stand, mainly because of the people. But that's just my opinion.

Hehehe, I had that in mind when making it. The whole point is to make it so that when people are permabrigged, they don't view it as the end of the game and just commit suicide or ghost.

I want to see the server go public, myself.

I've looked at the image you posted of your brig, and your wiring isnt ideal. The air alarm does not require a wire, and since this is the prison I would run the wire under the walls just to ensure a prisoner doesnt electrocute themselves *somehow*. Laundry room corner is borderline non-airtight with the missing wall. The reason the permabrig was made so inescapable is because, under TG guidelines, if you can permabrig someone, you can execute them.

Again, any time TG edits the map or changes the filepath of any object that exists on the map means we have to take time to merge those changes into our map, since maps are hard to automerge. The map vactor is running right now, in my opinion, shouldnt be running because some filepaths got changed and the items that were supposed to be on the map are not now, importance of said items aside.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 25, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »

From what I recall of my time way back when, you can make maps without effecting the code. I'm not sure if you can move them around between updates, though. As long as you don't add any text to the code strings, it should be perfectly compatible with any /tg/ updates.

That's what I thought.

If nobody even bothers using the permabrig more than once, and we do have a small server pop, then it doesn't look like you can get a jailbreak.

It's possible, unless the HoS is Axl. Then you're fucked. But it's also to encourage permabrigging as a viable alternative to just execution.

I've looked at the image you posted of your brig, and your wiring isnt ideal. The air alarm does not require a wire, and since this is the prison I would run the wire under the walls just to ensure a prisoner doesnt electrocute themselves *somehow*. Laundry room corner is borderline non-airtight with the missing wall. The reason the permabrig was made so inescapable is because, under TG guidelines, if you can permabrig someone, you can execute them.

I realized those mistakes after I posted the picture. Also, the wiring was originally intended to go through that wall, and that's why it goes under the air alarm. It was a first draft, and it's since been change. Also, for space law on the wiki it says execution can only be used for Syndicate collaboration or serial killers. Every other capital crime is permabrigging or cyborgization.

EDIT: Fixed those issues, and changed the wiring as per Androids ideas

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:53:06 pm by Glloyd »

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 25, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »

Also, for space law on the wiki it says execution can only be used for Syndicate collaboration or serial killers. Every other capital crime is permabrigging or cyborgization.

I've never really liked spess law as written because I've found it too lenient. And what space laws says and how admins (on TG) evaluate how it is executed are different things, as well.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:31 pm »

Also, for space law on the wiki it says execution can only be used for Syndicate collaboration or serial killers. Every other capital crime is permabrigging or cyborgization.

I've never really liked spess law as written because I've found it too lenient. And what space laws says and how admins (on TG) evaluate how it is executed are different things, as well.

I agree with you there. One minute in the brig doesn't seem like a viable punishment for distributing drugs, or two minutes a viable punishment for breaking and entering, especially when most of our games go on for a few hours. Personally, I'd like to aim for a middle ground between BS12 spess law and /tg/ spess law.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 25, 2013, 01:11:31 pm »

So when are these parts of the station even getting added? And should I change the Cargo bay to where Research was if we do change it?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: March 25, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »

No idea. We'd need someone who is a committer to actually add them to the UMcS source on the google code.

EDIT: Maybe try messaging KG and Vactor?

So when are these parts of the station even getting added? And should I change the Cargo bay to where Research was if we do change it?

Maybe, noone else uses Supply a whole lot. It depends though, is there a separate shuttle for the research station?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:28:21 pm by Glloyd »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 25, 2013, 01:43:12 pm »

There is a reason there are no public servers that are fun 90% of the time. I don't want this to go public.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 25, 2013, 01:44:10 pm »

Public servers are a bad idea. Once you make the server public, that's when the drama starts.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 25, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »

Snake exclaims, "Of course I am! I can't fucking walk normally! I have standards!"

This is pretty awesome.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 1654