Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121557 times)

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2130 on: March 25, 2013, 11:02:56 am »

If there's any good coders out there they could make a new engine and for the time being I could put a magic SMES.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:43 am »

Hi all, I've not played Space Station 13 before, but I'd like to have a go. My internet connection's a bit flaky though so I'll have to see how well it works. Are the links in the first post on this thread still the ones to use?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:10 am »

Hm, do you have a download for the current thing? I guess I'll try to set up a semi-reliable atmos network. Also, what is that dark green thingy floating around in space? Oh, and you're still missing the toxins test area. I hope that part that sticks out is toxins.

And yeah, the links on the first page are still the ones to use. Pop on right now and there'll probably be someone there to show you around.

E: And what about genetics? Everybody considers it to be part of medbay, but it's technically part of RD.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:08:40 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 25, 2013, 11:08:03 am »

Also, please do not force R&D to work with mining. It's not fun for anybody when half of your potential job is cut off just so teamwork is enforced. Scientists end up sitting on their asses half the time, or miners end up sitting on wasted plasma half the time because one or the other is busy and/or incompetent. I mean, yes, generally, I see more teamwork on Urist McStation, but things happen. Not to mention that the low server-pop means that you might not get people to do certain jobs.
So very much this. As an example, even though Robotics is technically part of R&D, if theres no one actually doing R&D (they could be in toxins, accidentally blowing up toxins, or be in xenobiology, possibly die in there, or mucking about in the misc. research room, or the RD could be sitting around in their office for no raisins) and no QM the roboticist can't do a damn thing except make a couple medibots and be an engineer with a labcoat but without the access to anything worthwhile.

I'd actually like to see this changed in the future. Hydroponics has this same problem in being totally unable to do anything except make pumpkin masks, corn cob pipes, and get high without the assistance of other jobs, as does the chef. Honestly? It makes the job that much less fun to play. Come to think of it: why wouldn't roboticists get access to R&D? Hell, maybe R&D could be split up into two sections? After all, there is the server. Why couldn't roboticists contribute half the R&D? On top of that, why don't the engineers have a circuit imprinter? If all three jobs worked together, a hell of a lot of R&D could be done. Although, to be quite honest, R&D would have to be crimped and cut in certain places to ensure that the engineers don't end up with a bunch of Advanced Energy Guns. Maybe like 4 R&D sets: one in robotics, one in science, one in the bridge, and one in engineering, but with varying access to levels of tech. Only the bridge would have access to syndicate-type tech and the weapons-tech. Which wouldn't really change much in terms of the Research Director's power, since he still has access to the Bridge and thus access to all of R&D.

If there's any good coders out there they could make a new engine and for the time being I could put a magic SMES.

I'm not a fantastic coder, but I could certainly make it easier to run the existing engines. Not anything complex like Goonstation's combustion engine.

Actually, hmm. I wonder if I can make the otherworldly creature mob emit radiation? That would be amusing: having a horrifying abomination locked away in a dark room aboard the research station, fed only by a few spare monkeys, powering the entire research station.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:09:39 am by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: March 25, 2013, 11:10:06 am »

Thanks, I'm observing right now, but I'll have a go at playing next round if I'm still online when it starts

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: March 25, 2013, 11:13:45 am »

Oh, and you may want to change scientist, roboticist and RD spawn locations. And make sure they can actually REACH the research station with relative ease, before we have all of RD spawning in cold, hard vacuum and a research station noone can get to.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 25, 2013, 11:14:28 am »

How about a Biogenerator? I'll test to see if ti works. Biogenerator was not what I thought it was.

E: And what about genetics? Everybody considers it to be part of medbay, but it's technically part of RD.
The area from genetics is listed under medical, Therefore it is part of Medbay.

Oh, and you may want to change scientist, roboticist and RD spawn locations. And make sure they can actually REACH the research station with relative ease, before we have all of RD spawning in cold, hard vacuum and a research station noone can get to.
Already done.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:19:50 am by Nienhaus »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: March 25, 2013, 11:15:32 am »

Also, we should probably just revamp supply too. For the sake of scientists not having to go trough the supply desk every time they want a burger.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 25, 2013, 11:21:16 am »

Well there should be a whole new station being made, Anyone up for the task?

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:09 am »

Well there should be a whole new station being made, Anyone up for the task?

Another idea that's less intensive: just make a shuttle going from cargo bay to research.

If we actually do make a huge overhaul of the main station, though, might I suggest swapping the Supply areas to where Research currently is? Not only would the Cargo Bay be much closer to areas that commonly require supplies, but you can create a sort of shuttle docking area with the mining, research, and cargo shuttles all in one area. Only if we do a large change to the station. Otherwise, a shuttle running from cargo to research is just fine.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 25, 2013, 11:33:35 am »

Isn't the whole reason for not redoing a station is it would break the updates from tg? If not, I'd happily do engineering and atmospherics map wise anyway.

EDIT: It also wouldn't be too hard to set up an easy to start singularity generator. Just makes sure all the components are already fitted and all one has to do is turn on the emitters and the PA.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:36:13 am by Mono124 »
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:18 am »

Isn't the whole reason for not redoing a station is it would break the updates from tg? If not, I'd happily do engineering and atmospherics map wise anyway.

Ouch, although not necessarily, I think. It has certainly a lot of potential to break updates, which is... kinda bad, because then we'd be relying on our pretty much non-existent coder base to adapt tgstation changes to our station constantly. We don't have the necessary manpower to branch out on our own, I think.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 25, 2013, 11:38:56 am »

True, but in terms of small revisions to the map like these, that won't affect /tg/station compatibility for the most part. It's when we start adding our own tiles/code/objects that it starts to get dicey.

Edit: I'm pretty much done the permabrig, I'll upload a picture now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 25, 2013, 11:45:49 am »

I was poking around Derelict station and it would make for the perfect penal colony after a bit of cleaning. No space suits for all. Is derelict on another z-level? I have an idea for finding it using R&D.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 25, 2013, 11:51:43 am »

Is derelict on another z-level? I have an idea for finding it using R&D.
It is.
Also I'm going to take a small break and rest my head, And play Borderlands 2 with Jacob.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 1654