Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121372 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2115 on: March 25, 2013, 10:15:17 am »

Nope. It's probably that I don't have that. I'll figure out how to get the source soon, but now I have to go study again.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 25, 2013, 10:15:32 am »

Personally, I still think the research station should be put on an asteroid, for easy access to minerals. Maybe even on the same Z level as the mining station, though I don't know how feasible that would be in terms of size.

The mining asteroid has two little mining outposts and the ruins of another outpost. It can definitively fit the research station, and would make the mining asteroid something more than just a place for the miners to hide.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:52 am »

Personally, I still think the research station should be put on an asteroid, for easy access to minerals. Maybe even on the same Z level as the mining station, though I don't know how feasible that would be in terms of size.

The mining asteroid has two little mining outposts and the ruins of another outpost. It can definitively fit the research station, and would make the mining asteroid something more than just a place for the miners to hide.

While I agree it'd be good to put it there, mapping-wise there's not too much space to put it in, unless it was added where those splintered off bits of little asteroids are right now, on the west side.

Edit: What do you think nienhaus?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:19:24 am by Glloyd »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 25, 2013, 10:20:24 am »

Hm, as long as I get to build an atmospherics place it's fine by me. Mayby we could have some sort of mass-driver to launch refined ores to the research part of the asteroid.

Smelt ores. Load them into a crate, put the crate in the mass driver (probably south of the current refining area). Mass driver shoots it to research.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 25, 2013, 10:23:06 am »

I can always fit it into the asteroid and maybe someone could code up a tram system to get from the mining station to the Research Station.
Also the map download might not work because I did make new areas, So here's all the code and everything.
http://www.mediafire.com/?lbsbtcmx48ap2th

Also this would be easier if we could all talk on Skype or steam in a group chat.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:37 am »

Theres also always using disposal pipes for fast-travel and sending resources.  Personally... I always enjoy riding disposal pipes to get around, having a pipe-travel network would be pretty fun now that I think about it....
Nom nom nom

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 25, 2013, 10:26:23 am »

But a tram network would be so much funner.+

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 25, 2013, 10:27:53 am »

I'd be interested in putting this on the asteroid as well, theres not much on the place right now besides the little mining stations, fucktons of metal and plasma, some silver/gold/uranium, and the occasional diamonds.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:33 am »

I'm putting it on the asteroid as we speak.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 25, 2013, 10:34:08 am »

Could this be a permanent thing or something?
Nom nom nom

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 25, 2013, 10:35:01 am »

I should note, Like 1/3 of the station is sticking out of the asteroid.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 25, 2013, 10:35:47 am »

I should note, Like 1/3 of the station is sticking out of the asteroid.

That just makes it all the cooler.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:06 am »

Well there is three things you could do for power.  One would be solar's and would be decently easy right up until a meteor shower.  Two would be a smaller singularity generator, you can actually make the current one half the size but still as effective if not more if you made a room with the singularity in the middle as a l2 singularity (2x2 size) with a building going around the outside of it containing radiation collectors on each side as opposed to the current 1 side only.  You'd then want a few extra layers of armor around the whole construct and you'd end up with a generator taking up slightly less space then the current, but overall more effective.   The last would be pacman generator based, and just hope that mining doesn't suck balls and can get you lots of plasma.  That or have a fucking lot of SMES's so you can make sure to store ALL the energy you don't use, until more plasma arrives.
Want to know something funny? I though of all those, In that order. And I ended up going with the Pacman Generator. Mainly because R&D should be teaming with mining and it will force them to be together even more.

Careful. The PACMAN generators are coded to both break down and overheat. Overheating causes explosions. Both upgrades to the generator require upgraded materials as well, although you can use upgraded base components to increase its stats, so I suppose it's not too bad. The SUPERPACMAN uses uranium for energy, and rather cleverly, the MRSPACMAN uses diamonds.

The regular PACMAN only has 5000 base power, but it seems to fluctuate depending on the reliability of the PACMAN and the quality of its components. You can set it to more power output, but that definitely increases the heat gain.

This is just from what I'm reading in the code, though. I should probably try messing around with the generator in-game.

Also, please do not force R&D to work with mining. It's not fun for anybody when half of your potential job is cut off just so teamwork is enforced. Scientists end up sitting on their asses half the time, or miners end up sitting on wasted plasma half the time because one or the other is busy and/or incompetent. I mean, yes, generally, I see more teamwork on Urist McStation, but things happen. Not to mention that the low server-pop means that you might not get people to do certain jobs.

Actually, a possible alternative is slime-fuel generation. If you give a bunch of plasma for research station to start off with, you can have the scientists make dark purple slimes. One dark purple slime core creates a 10-sheet stack of plasma when injected with 5 units of plasma. I might be able to create another sub-type of slime for uranium generation, too, branching off the dark purple sub-type path. I just noticed this, but slimes are not able to revert back to previous slimes. Purple slimes cannot become grey slimes, which seems kinda silly to me, and all the later forms like adamantine, black, etc. are unable to become any other sub-type.
Also often called Boowells.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 25, 2013, 10:42:34 am »

Here's what the mini map looks like.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 25, 2013, 10:46:44 am »

Also, please do not force R&D to work with mining. It's not fun for anybody when half of your potential job is cut off just so teamwork is enforced. Scientists end up sitting on their asses half the time, or miners end up sitting on wasted plasma half the time because one or the other is busy and/or incompetent. I mean, yes, generally, I see more teamwork on Urist McStation, but things happen. Not to mention that the low server-pop means that you might not get people to do certain jobs.
So very much this. As an example, even though Robotics is technically part of R&D, if theres no one actually doing R&D (they could be in toxins, accidentally blowing up toxins, or be in xenobiology, possibly die in there, or mucking about in the misc. research room, or the RD could be sitting around in their office for no raisins) and no QM the roboticist can't do a damn thing except make a couple medibots and be an engineer with a labcoat but without the access to anything worthwhile.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1654