Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121222 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #1395 on: March 14, 2013, 10:35:24 am »

If the server's going to move to vactors server, can you post that on the first page? Just so I don't have to search through the pages to find it.
I agree.

Also, I don't know if some divine force was preventing me from managing flour correctly or what, but I couldn't figure out how to put one unit of a solution at a time into a microwave. I had it explained to me step by step, but it wasn't working. Since I like the bragging rights of feeding the station, and it's a simple job, I need to have that explained to me again. I imagine I'd also need it for other things. I figured out how to take a donut out of a donut box by myself, but for some reason this isn't working.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: March 14, 2013, 10:35:59 am »

it is in the first post, just underneath KG's server
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: March 14, 2013, 10:45:52 am »

Well I was on one of the two servers when no one else was so I decided to try and figure out how to get the sigularity running.  Managed to get all the emitters turned on, the accellerator wired and wrenched down, and I turned on the containment field... and then it turned itself off.  I went out to try and reset it but it kept just shutting back down, so thinking that maybe it was working I turned on the accelerator... and ate the station.  Anyone able to tell me what I may have done wrong with the field emmitters?  I saw the beams of light between them for awhile, before they all shut down.
Nom nom nom

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: March 14, 2013, 10:48:30 am »

sounds like low power.  Unless you get to it right away you might want to wire up and set up the solar collectors before you start the emitters up.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: March 14, 2013, 10:52:05 am »

ah yeah it took me awhile to figure everything out, I suppose that was probably what happened.
Nom nom nom

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: March 14, 2013, 12:10:43 pm »

Yeah, I've been complaining about the tight time limit to set up the singularity first.

If you join the round a little late as engineer, you're better off to just start on the solars.  Their SMES's are connected to the emitter power too, so they'll allow you to power up the singularity.

OR, if you want, you can use the pacman generator.  It's just a little trickier than a normal startup.  You'll need to get the pacman wired into the SMES output circuit somewhere(Just a tile down from the terminal works). Load up all your solid plasma into it (There's some in the secure storage in a crate).  Wire a node into the SMES output circuit, and put the pacman on that node. Wrench it down, then get everything you can set up (Everything but the containment field).  Once you're ready to turn on containment, turn on the pacman, and give it a good output value, 20k seemed to work for me.  Then go out, turn on containment. Once the containment ring is up, go ahead and fire off the accelerator.  When the SMES start charging, you're golden, and can disconnect the pacman.

This worked for me, although I don't understand why the pacman wasn't trying to power the whole damn station.  If that was the case, 20k shouldn't have worked.  Maybe someone can explain that to me. Do closer devices get priority or something? Or was I actually charging all the APC's in the station, and powering the emitters, with just a 20k output?  It ended up being a close call, after the SMES's started charging, I noticed the pacman had run out of fuel.  So it was a close one.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: March 14, 2013, 12:20:38 pm »

OR, if you want, you can use the pacman generator.  It's just a little trickier than a normal startup.  You'll need to get the pacman wired into the SMES output circuit somewhere(Just a tile down from the terminal works). Load up all your solid plasma into it (There's some in the secure storage in a crate).  Wire a node into the SMES output circuit, and put the pacman on that node. Wrench it down, then get everything you can set up (Everything but the containment field).  Once you're ready to turn on containment, turn on the pacman, and give it a good output value, 20k seemed to work for me.  Then go out, turn on containment. Once the containment ring is up, go ahead and fire off the accelerator.  When the SMES start charging, you're golden, and can disconnect the pacman.

This worked for me, although I don't understand why the pacman wasn't trying to power the whole damn station.  If that was the case, 20k shouldn't have worked.  Maybe someone can explain that to me. Do closer devices get priority or something? Or was I actually charging all the APC's in the station, and powering the emitters, with just a 20k output?  It ended up being a close call, after the SMES's started charging, I noticed the pacman had run out of fuel.  So it was a close one.

Um, I am not certain on this, but like the powernet as a whole, it tries to power what it can first (ex SMES dont charge if input is set higher than the powernet has). APCs can accept a fairly high amount of charge per tick, but the emitters have a lower power requirement so they get power first. Not positive, because powercode is pretty dense and I dont care to get into it.

As for the fuel for the pacman, thats your own issue because I can set it up and get safe power outputs before it even uses a third of the fuel.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 14, 2013, 12:44:56 pm »

Heh, well the first time I did it, I think I did a lot of setup after starting the generator, which was unnecessary.  So I used more fuel than I should have.  20k may have been overkill too.  But I do know that 5k is not enough, it'll only give you 2 emitters...

So anyway, it's possible to start the singularity from a dead start, but the only truly safe way to start it is with the solars producing power.  Anything else and you're on a time limit.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 14, 2013, 01:01:59 pm »

Or just turn the output from the SMESs off at round start.
All APCs come with a battery that should be plenty until you get it set up.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 14, 2013, 01:24:15 pm »

Also, people don't really need power.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 14, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »

Also, people don't really need power.
Yes. You fucking need power. If you can survive on the station with all batteries on zero, I'd be surprised.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 14, 2013, 01:38:16 pm »

For how long?

Oh, and dieing out of boredom doesn't count.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 14, 2013, 01:40:23 pm »

Yeah, you can survive. But nevermind all the computers failing, chem dispensers running dry, not being able to do anything intresting at all, doors having no power (aka mass looting of secure areas)...

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 14, 2013, 01:45:12 pm »

What if there was a random event called "Station Reboot" or something and all the power went out (doors maybe bolted?) for 10-30 seconds (if its too long than too much looting will occur) Just a thought with all this discussion of power.  :P

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 14, 2013, 01:47:24 pm »

Actually, the Chem dispensers were working fine last night with no power.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 1654