Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2122003 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #705 on: March 03, 2013, 03:34:08 pm »

Also, help intent.

Every time you run into somebody while having any different intent, CentComm kills a kitten.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 03, 2013, 03:58:07 pm »

Aww. Now where can we go and play.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 03, 2013, 03:58:40 pm »

How long are we looking at for server down-time?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 03, 2013, 03:58:57 pm »

I try not to metagame, but I think I still do.

For example following a guy with a hugger on his face into surgery and shooting the shit out of it with the HoS when it burst
Now that's not entirely metagaming, if some forlorn creature bursts out of a man's chest then its safe to say you can shoot it. What I mean is people yelling out over the radio at the beginning of the round, "HOLY SHIT I SAW THE ALIUM QUEEN, XENO'S ARE ON STATION!" as opposed to "What the fuck was that? I just saw some weird black thing running around maintenance!". Or seeing a man get attacked by a facehugger and saying "HOLY FUCK GET IT OUT OF HIM, HE'S GOING TO BURST OUT A LARVA!"

This. Every time I play Aliens, I'm like, "Uh, guys, what the fuck was the alien thing?"
"What alien thing?"
"It was like, eight foot tall, black, long head. No eyes. I don't know, it just ran off into the darkness. Maybe they're attracted to electricity or something?"

Then, get facehugged (If I haven't seen someone else get facehugged), "Man, I'm fucking hungry as shit. My throat's a bit sore too. Gimme them cheese fries."

Facehugged (If I HAVE seen someone facehugged/bursted) "Oh god. Does this mean it's gonna happen to me to? Oh fuck man. Oh god. (Then, if I'm a 'brave' profession, like security or Captain or something) Listen, you gotta seal me in this locker. So this thing doesn't get out. Take my gun and my ID and stuff, and just go. Weld it shut, brother. (Or, I decide to go homicidal batshit beserker on the Aliens and rush them)"

And also, something I think should be okay, there should be relative levels of meta. Obviously Assistant #22526 isn't going to know dick about the Syndicate or Aliens or the Blob. But the Captain, the AI, the Head of Security, they probably have a fair idea of what the Syndicate is and their methods/tools. I'd say the Captain might have a fair idea about what the Aliens are, e.g. An explicitly hostile alien lifeform, no more, no less. Obviously, the Heads/Captain/AI wouldn't share this information lightly with the crew, to avoid panic, because of security clearances, and because some people might get the wrong ideas/decide to help the traitors/join the aliens/etc.

I've always worked under this assumption in my roleplaying. As a Security officer, I know enough to worry that 'Maybe that big black creature isn't so friendly...' or 'I don't think that guy should have a revolver/card that can magically open doors.'
As the Head of Security, I know enough to be like, 'Xenos. Hostile ones. We need to arm up and take them out stat.' or 'That man is a Syndicate agent. That's an E-mag card!'
As the Captain, I know enough to be like, 'Shit, xenomorphs. Acid spitting, they have a queen and some sort of strange reproduction that involves us humans.' or 'Syndicate traitor. He has an E-mag. He could have an uplink somewhere, or maybe a power sink. This bears serious investigation.'

The same goes for Changelings or Cultists or anything else. A normal Sec-officer might not know lings exist at all, but he sure as hell is going to taze your ass if you are looming over an unconscious person with a four foot long needle thing coming out of your face.
Then the HoS might know, 'Oh shit, shapeshifter. Anyone could be someone other than who they are now.'
The Captain might be able to identify them by species, 'Oh no, that's a Changeling. Highly dangerous shapeshifters, they can take on anyone's identity, they have highly dangerous stingers, and they're masters of disguise and cunning predators. They're fundamentally invulnerable unless you completely physically destroy their bodies.'

Stuff like that. Does this make sense to everyone else? In the world of SS13, there's probably varying levels of knowledge about all the stuff in the universe. I would assume the man they put in charge of a station (or woman.) and the Station AI would both a fairly complete knowledge of most threats to the station, the knowledge of such things might percolate down through the command structure. At the very bottom would be Janitors, Assistants, Librarians, and Clowns, who might be telling tall tales to each other about 'Giant invincible black monsters' or some such thing. And also, they might be directly contradicting the Captain/HoS/etc, trying to say they're being 'Overly extreme for wanting to incinerate that body!' or 'These creatures could be completely peaceful for all you kn-*Chestburst*' or 'Traitors? Criminal Syndicate? What the fuck? Who made a conspiracy theorist the Captain/HoS?'
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 03, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »

I'm bringing it back up now.  It seems my upload bandwidth is lower than normal today, and the saturation was causing massive latency problems.  I'm seeing if I can QoS a bit to keep that from happening.

KG

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #710 on: March 03, 2013, 04:02:28 pm »

Now that's not entirely metagaming, if some forlorn creature bursts out of a man's chest then its safe to say you can shoot it. What I mean is people yelling out over the radio at the beginning of the round, "HOLY SHIT I SAW THE ALIUM QUEEN, XENO'S ARE ON STATION!" as opposed to "What the fuck was that? I just saw some weird black thing running around maintenance!". Or seeing a man get attacked by a facehugger and saying "HOLY FUCK GET IT OUT OF HIM, HE'S GOING TO BURST OUT A LARVA!"
I think it's fair that the future parent of the little alien knows that something has been put into his body and should be able to ask/demand that it be removed. After all, being the first one to get facehugged and dying just because no one knows IC what to do when a facehugger gets you is pretty lame. There's a surgery for it for a reason.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 03, 2013, 04:05:57 pm »

Hanslada summed up my thoughts perfectly, and the Heads of Staff should have a basic knowledge of what's going on. Captain will have knowledge of traitors and possibly their items (Not full knowledge granted, just that it is a traitor item) along with a few other enemies of the station, depends on how you want to roleplay it really. Just really, if you're playing a Head of Staff and it makes ABSOLUTE SENSE for you to know some of the basics of the enemy you're facing, then you can use that knowledge. Otherwise, if you're just a normal rank and file crewman, you don't know jack shit.

I think it's fair that the future parent of the little alien knows that something has been put into his body and should be able to ask/demand that it be removed. After all, being the first one to get facehugged and dying just because no one knows IC what to do when a facehugger gets you is pretty lame. There's a surgery for it for a reason.
Again, unless you've seen someone else getting face-hugged and having an alien burst out of their chest, it could be the flu or some stomach sickness for all you know.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 03, 2013, 04:07:08 pm »

My connection is failing, argh!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:14 pm »

So is it a bug when we're able to walk with facehuggers wrapped around our head? Shouldn't the character pass out or something?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:01 pm »

So is it a bug when we're able to walk with facehuggers wrapped around our head? Shouldn't the character pass out or something?
Nope, you can walk around and even try to tear it off I believe.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:48 pm »

Nah, at that point the facehugger is dead and can be removed from your face, since you're in the incubation phase.   They don't fall off automatically, which would be nice.

KG

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 03, 2013, 04:10:42 pm »

That's Lamarr. She's been de-uh... De-burster'd.

Real facehuggers should make you pass out instantly for a few minutes.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #717 on: March 03, 2013, 04:11:33 pm »

I've never seen any of the alien movies to see how people normally react, but you've just had an alien baby injected into your throat and into your digestive system. That's got to be uncomfortable enough to warrant some surgery.

I think alien mode needs a major overhaul before it actually becomes fun for everyone, though. At the moment, it's not bad for a quick round where everyone knows they're going to die, but I don't see why it's as popular as it is.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 03, 2013, 04:17:00 pm »

Actually, Hans, lings are entirely unknown, and even Research only has hypotheses about them.

Obvious edit: okay so maybe that's only true on BS12, but still.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 03, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »

Still laggy, back offline while I work with it.

KG
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 1654