Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2121546 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #810 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:46 pm »

What's the point of electrifying the exterior if you can simply disable carps from breaking glass?
It's the same concept as flooding a river with magma to kill off the carp in Dwarf Fortress instead of modding their damage to a reasonable level. We could make them less overpowered, or we could kill them with fire/magma/electricity. I just went for the more dangerous and awesome solution.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:39:51 pm by Leonon »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 05, 2013, 12:34:31 pm »

What's the point of electrifying the exterior if you can simply disable carps from breaking glass?
It's the same as flooding a river with magma to kill off the carp in Dwarf Fortress instead of modding their damage to a reasonable level. We could make them less overpowered, or we could kill them with fire/magma/electricity. I just went for the more dangerous and awesome solution.

I see your point, but that also makes you unable to break back into the station from space should you need to for whatever reason.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 05, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »

It's the same concept as flooding a river with magma to kill off the carp in Dwarf Fortress instead of modding their damage to a reasonable level. We could make them less overpowered, or we could kill them with fire/magma/electricity. I just went for the more dangerous and awesome solution.

The problem with carp, from my side as a semi-coder for this, is not their strength but their quantity. Each migration spawns a fixed number of carp at fixed locations. Nothing really random or unique about it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 05, 2013, 01:12:58 pm »

Would it be hard to make their locations semi-random? I don't really support electrifying all of the exterior grilles. Carps smashing the exterior windows and grilles and thus decompressing some maintenance shafts is pretty cool, imho.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 05, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »

I have another cunning plan. What if we just add some carp killing weaponry.

Ie, how about a lure, or some sort of decoy. Something that attracts them.
And a quick fix would be to reduce the chance of additionall carp migrating as the amount of carps reduces.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 05, 2013, 01:39:14 pm »

Btw, we are working on developing our own branch of this code, but what are we working towards, really?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 05, 2013, 01:42:58 pm »

Would it be hard to make their locations semi-random? I don't really support electrifying all of the exterior grilles. Carps smashing the exterior windows and grilles and thus decompressing some maintenance shafts is pretty cool, imho.

And also, not being able to get back into the space station via external windows makes quite a few things a WHOLE LOT HARDER. Like, fighting the AI, being an Operative, possibly being a Space Ninja, being a Traitor with a clever plan, etc.

Also, you can seriously just shoot the carp through the windows with laser guns. Just stay away from the window if you see a carp. o.o
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 05, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »

Btw, we are working on developing our own branch of this code, but what are we working towards, really?

Pretty much whatever we feel like, I guess. Though, truth be told, I kinda want to make an alternative power generation system, something easier to set up/use for a smaller crew. Plus overall safer, of course. Though the Singularity does a good job of everything, to tell you the truth.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 05, 2013, 01:49:52 pm »

Not really, but it may come with the risk of the event becoming meaningless if the rolls go a certain way. I have already taken a position just to reduce the frequency of which the event occurs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 05, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »

Pretty much whatever we feel like, I guess. Though, truth be told, I kinda want to make an alternative power generation system, something easier to set up/use for a smaller crew. Plus overall safer, of course. Though the Singularity does a good job of everything, to tell you the truth.
That really sounds intresting. The singularity is nice, but something simpler would be great. What does Goon use?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »

That really sounds intresting. The singularity is nice, but something simpler would be great. What does Goon use?

From what I can tell, a combustion-like system. It's comprised of a hot loop, a cold loop, and a generator that transfers heat between the two loops and produces power. Of course the hot loop needs to be heated, so they have a combustion chamber running (and something about furnaces). And the cold loop just seems to have extra ports to cycle the gas. Or something like that. The wiki page is here, if you're curious.I haven't played on Goon, so I can't tell you how effective it is.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 05, 2013, 02:32:59 pm »

Goon has experimental nuclear, only available if you have adminges spawn pieces.

It seems interesting, taking our own concept of that and running with it. Or maybe give solar a bit of a boost, make more panels, and so make it the station can be reasonably run with dilligant solar care?
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 05, 2013, 02:35:56 pm »

If we're going for a simple generation system, how about a nuclear generator. Fairly simple to wire, set up and go. Needs some cooling and uranium of course, to produce energy. Probably produces radiation too. And in order to make it more interesting, radioactive waste can probably be used by genetics/virology or recycled by a special breeder reactor. If you're a decent person, maybe you could tweak the reactor rates to get weapongrade, or poisonous gas, or stuff like that.

Generally, what you want is something simple with possible complexity.

Goon has experimental nuclear, only available if you have adminges spawn pieces.

It seems interesting, taking our own concept of that and running with it. Or maybe give solar a bit of a boost, make more panels, and so make it the station can be reasonably run with dilligant solar care?

How about solar micro sattelites away from the station, that can then beam power back?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 05, 2013, 02:41:12 pm »

If you add some other way of power generation, it must be weaponizable. 

BTW, what's wrong with the singularity? Just the upkeep?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:44 pm »

I'd rather have something with highish set-up and low upkeep. For those rounds where we have only one or two engineers who probably have more important things to worry about, not tending Solars the entire round. It'd still have to have a good opportunity for traitoring/chaos though. I'm still trying to work out the specifics. Or the generalities.

If you add some other way of power generation, it must be weaponizable. 

BTW, what's wrong with the singularity? Just the upkeep?

Mostly the fact that you rarely recover from it being released. Or at least that's why I'm thinking of replacing it.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 1654