Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2125438 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #4815 on: May 04, 2013, 11:55:26 pm »

Even if it's technically within the rules, killing absolutely everyone as an antagonist (without a good reason to do so, of course, sometimes you're justified with wanton murder) is generally really really assholish. When people do stuff like that it makes me want to outright quit playing.
Nothing important here, move along.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: May 05, 2013, 02:02:26 am »

Even if it's technically within the rules, killing absolutely everyone as an antagonist (without a good reason to do so, of course, sometimes you're justified with wanton murder) is generally really really assholish. When people do stuff like that it makes me want to outright quit playing.
If the objective is "escape alone" then often that's the only way to do it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: May 05, 2013, 03:31:39 am »

If the objective is "escape alone" then often that's the only way to do it.

I believe the objective in that is to hijack the shuttle. Escape pods are allowed. Now, you can do that easily if you PREPARE.

Firstly - There are /three/ paths onto the shuttle. Pick /one/ of them.

On the others, open the external airlock's panel. Cut all the wires. Once done, weld the lock shut. Close the panel.

Move outside the path. Do the same to the internal airlock.

At this point, you cut the power in the escape wing. Set everything to off, break the main breaker, cut every wire.

Call the shuttle.

Rush back to escape wing. Hide in the open path. Crowbar to open INTERNAL door, crowbar to shut it, open its panel, cut every wire on it, weld it shut, cut your flashlight off.

People will most likely wait outside escape wing or even further away until later. At this point, you crowbar the last door open, emag the cockpit open, emag to launch early, and quickly buckle up.

There you go. Escaped alone, not having to kill everyone.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: May 05, 2013, 03:44:07 am »

Often you have people in escape hallway up several minutes before shuttle arrive. And they will spot either you, or the locked airlocks.

furthermore, unless you caused some big damage, or removed the heads/ communication computer, shuttle might be recalled. Leaving you sitting in escape hallway, doing nothing.

an engineer can repair the APC in no time, unless you destroy it.

it is a decent plan, but it is not perfect, by far.

Also, it assumes you haven't been discovered while doing your primary objective, which is not necessarily true. although I can grant that. depending on the objective, it is fairly easy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:36 am »

I think Jacob/Lee got it right: It depends on luck.
And killing everyone is the most foolproof way to make sure nobody except you gets away.

By the way, why is it that EVERY time I play a cult round I have to go a few minutes after getting converted? :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: May 05, 2013, 08:15:39 am »

Escaping on the shuttle alone is nigh-impossible as long as someone is still alive.  Everyone will try to use the shuttle.  The only way to keep common fools away is to literally destroy the entire escape wing so that there's no oxygen.  Even THEN, there's always that engineer who's going to hardsuit over, fireaxe through the shuttle's windows, and get inside.  And THEN there's assistant freaks who put on their emergency tank and jump through space to take the broken-in window and hide in the corner of the shuttle's still-pressurized cabin.

People really have a hardon for the shuttle.  Keeping people off is TOUGH.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:35 am »

you have a whole two minutes to kill everyone who got on, though, and they do only have 10 seconds to board if you emag it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: May 05, 2013, 09:53:17 am »

it IS a fine strategy. But all you need for it to fail is an engineer arriving at the dock a couple of minutes earlier. even with lights down, he will spot you. and the crew will happily bash the windows to gain access. If you manage to keep everyone away until shuttle dock, you most likely win. the point is keeping people away.
a chamaleon projector may help being stealthy. if doors are locked and nobody is inside, crew may decide to use pods.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: May 05, 2013, 10:27:09 am »

I think the murderous rampages the Escape Alone objective brings forth are a nice change of pace from the server's norm (most of the time I'm on the antags don't need to escape alone, so from my perspective it's an uncommon and unusual happenstance). Plus, it makes for some fun RP if people decide to RP. And if people stop being bitter about dying (until they know the objectives at the end of the round, then be bitter all you want if your death was totally unnecessary) then maybe they could enjoy observing their murderer as (s)he goes about their crime spree.

"By the Lizard Christ, did you hear about what happened to the HoS?"
"No, what happened?"
"His body was found brutally mutilated in his office!"
"Woah! Crazy!"
"Yeah! Hey, what are you-"
STABSTABSTABSTABSTABSPACE

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: May 05, 2013, 10:30:37 am »

"By the Lizard Christ, did you hear about what happened to the HoS?"
"No, what happened?"
"His body was found brutally mutilated in his office!"
"Woah! Crazy!"
"Yeah! Hey, what are you-"
STABSTABSTABSTABSTABSPACE
I want to sig all of this. i just do.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: May 05, 2013, 10:33:41 am »

Often you have people in escape hallway up several minutes before shuttle arrive. And they will spot either you, or the locked airlocks.

furthermore, unless you caused some big damage, or removed the heads/ communication computer, shuttle might be recalled. Leaving you sitting in escape hallway, doing nothing.

an engineer can repair the APC in no time, unless you destroy it.

it is a decent plan, but it is not perfect, by far.

Also, it assumes you haven't been discovered while doing your primary objective, which is not necessarily true. although I can grant that. depending on the objective, it is fairly easy.

it IS a fine strategy. But all you need for it to fail is an engineer arriving at the dock a couple of minutes earlier. even with lights down, he will spot you. and the crew will happily bash the windows to gain access. If you manage to keep everyone away until shuttle dock, you most likely win. the point is keeping people away.
a chamaleon projector may help being stealthy. if doors are locked and nobody is inside, crew may decide to use pods.

Okay. How's this for a refining of the strategy - locking down the entire escape wing. Power down the chapel, cut the wires, etc. Power down the hallway, cut the wires, etc. Turn on the fire alarms, if you don't have an enemy AI.

Yes, they can get through. This is all delaying tactics. That's the point.

RE the recall - just deconstruct the communications computers and take the circuit boards. Unless they have an AI, they won't have the time to recall the shuttle until it's too late. At that point, they've got 5 minutes to get through two layers of doors to get to the escape wing. Including the welding fuel (which, remember, is limited in the welder), they're going to have to rush most of it. Yes, it's not a perfect strategy. But it's damned well effective, especially when they're not expecting it.

If you have a friendly AI, it's even easier, and virtually impossible to fail.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: May 05, 2013, 10:46:45 am »

And if people stop being bitter about dying (until they know the objectives at the end of the round, then be bitter all you want if your death was totally unnecessary)

This. Oh my GOD, just SHUT THE FUCK UP WHEN YOU DIE. SERIOUSLY. DO NOT SAY, "WOW, DICK KILLED ME!" OR "JERK MOVE!" OR FUCKING ANYTHING IN OOC. SHUT THE FUCK UP. YOU HAVE GHOST CHAT FOR THAT. GODDAMN. YOU SERIOUSLY FUCK UP AN ANTAG'S WHOLE GAME WHEN YOU BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT DYING.
SERIOUSLY. DON'T DO IT.

If it was griefing, or you even SUSPECT griefing, adminhelp it. But do NOT OOC ABOUT IT. That shit fucking pisses me off to no end, alongside the whole, "Gee, antags need to step it up." Every time someone says that when I'm an antag, I'm minutes away from ruining their fucking day. Just be patient, people. It's really not that hard. That round where I blew the whole Escape wing to hell? "Gee, antags need to step it up... *N2O comes out of vents, Escape blows up, AI is subverted, things are stolen*"

I understand it is up to the antags to make the round fun, but saying literally anything about making it fun does not help at all. You're not going to make the Antag suddenly decide, "Wow, he's right, I should stop making rainbow clothes and do my stuff!" You just MIGHT make him go, "Huh, I guess I better start murdering the fuck out of people then. That's 'fun' right?"

Then the flip side of this is where I'm a Captain Antag, and I make the round fun, yet people put me down for being the Captain, like it's some instant win button. I've only got a 45-50% success rate as the Captain, just so you all know. More often than not, I either get spotted and then have to run around trying to hide, or someone notices something I did and reverses it, or I get bogged down dealing with random crap until too late. Or some combination of all three.

*Deep breathe* Okay, just wanted to get that off my chest. Whining about dying is not cool in OOC. Telling the Antags to step it up is not cool unless you're BD, but then everything he does is cool. Bitching about the Antag winning is highly counter-intuitive. "Hey, stop winning and doing what your supposed to do in your game role! I don't like that you managed to do so!" Captain's are just as easily tazed and beaten to death as anyone else. Back to your regularly scheduled gloating about being an evil bastard.

I want to be a changeling again. That round was... A feeding frenzy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: May 05, 2013, 11:37:53 am »

Okay. How's this for a refining of the strategy - locking down the entire escape wing. Power down the chapel, cut the wires, etc. Power down the hallway, cut the wires, etc. Turn on the fire alarms, if you don't have an enemy AI.

Yes, they can get through. This is all delaying tactics. That's the point.

RE the recall - just deconstruct the communications computers and take the circuit boards. Unless they have an AI, they won't have the time to recall the shuttle until it's too late. At that point, they've got 5 minutes to get through two layers of doors to get to the escape wing. Including the welding fuel (which, remember, is limited in the welder), they're going to have to rush most of it. Yes, it's not a perfect strategy. But it's damned well effective, especially when they're not expecting it.

If you have a friendly AI, it's even easier, and virtually impossible to fail.
Well, sorry,  it's only effective in a ghost town:
Unless you've already subverted the AI (or there isn't one), you've already lost. The first room you cut power to sends an alert to the AI and all borgs that there's a power fault. If the Engineering crew is half competent, they too will notice the power fault. This is an awful lot of sabotage, that will take a good amount of time, that you're assuming nobody will stumble across and announce over the radio "Hey, somebody's wrecking up the escape wing". You'll never lock it down with more than a skeleton crew on board.

As far as getting through your "delay tactic" on the miracle nobody actually noticed it before you called the shuttle; they have 10 minutes. People rush to escape right away. People do not wait until the point of no return to rush down there. There is plenty of time to get inside. The station was designed to have weak points, to allow people to break into virtually everywhere in little time. There isn't enough wall between Escape and the rest of the station to slow any kind of competent crew down. Especially if there's an engiborg - again, without subverting the silicons, this tactic does not work.

So, even if by some chance it takes the crew five minutes to get into Escape so that they can't recall, what then? Doors to the shuttle have been welded? So what? They are surrounded by glass. They will smash into the airlocks, and when they find you hiding in one, they will kill you, as you are obviously the one who sabotaged everything, hiding in the airlock as you are. So now you have to kill people after all. Besides, any half competent engineer can build a serviceable "safe" tunnel to the shuttle's windows in plenty of time before it arrives, with materials right there in escape. And again, if you didn't subvert the silicons, an engineering borg can build a new passage to the shuttle in essentially no time, with doors and everything.

But provided somehow that you manage to go unnoticed or talk your way out of being murdered before the shuttle arrives; It takes no time to smash through to the shuttle - it has windows facing the escape arm's windows. Competent crew, upon seeing the welded doors, use the lattice that leads out to the end of the airlocks to break into the shuttle's windows. By the time you've emagged into the shuttle's bridge and shortened the launch time, you've already got people inside the shuttle's windows, and they're a-coming with ya. Not to mention any who've followed you on board through the door you used. And if you weren't planning on shortening the time, well, you lost.

Escape alone is only easy when there are less than 10 people aboard, and all but you have never played before. Try this tactic on any station with more than a skeleton crew, and you can look forward to a lovely vacation in the permabrig.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:41:56 am by Man In Zero G »
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: May 05, 2013, 11:55:13 am »

Actually, it's not that hard to create good reasons to not go to the shuttle. People might be stupid, but they're definitely not stupid enough to walk into an obvious deathtrap. Fill the escape wing with plasma and be ready to ignite it. Arrange for the singularity to cut a swathe through the escape arm. Have half the laser/energy guns on the station and openly shoot everyone who tries to get on. If there's still some idiot who tries to get through, they'll either be dead or you've already fucked up. If, somehow, there's enough stupid people that they manage to force their way through anyway, you shouldn't be on that server. They're all idiots.

Not that these things aren't hard as hell to do, of course, but they can be done. I've never done it myself, but I've seen all of them done in one form or another, and they worked.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:56:46 am by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: May 05, 2013, 12:12:28 pm »

Actually, what's the rules on escape?  I'm thinking that if you let people on the shuttle, then you release and light plasma in the main area, you could roast everyone during the 2 minute flight.

How to accomplish this?  Get a Ripley.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 1654