Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2124599 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #3780 on: April 16, 2013, 07:46:52 pm »

I really need to stop being so by the book as security. I see a scientist with a bomb outside of research and instead of immediately shooting them like I should, I stop to try to talk to them first. And then get stungloved while I'm typing. How am I supposed to RP and give people a chance to talk their way out of it when nobody ever tries to talk.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:26 pm »

EDIT: not a traitor. Either neglect or RPed idiocy.

Yep. I was the only traitor that round.

I think that was the most robust round I've ever had.
Related: Stun shots are OP.  Captain's armor and laser gun, taken out with no effort by one shot.  It takes multiple lethal shots to down someone, and yet a single stun shot will knock anyone down.

The "Robust" part of combat is simply luck in being able to shoot first.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: April 16, 2013, 09:31:33 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. We've been over this.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: April 16, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »

Also, I've been vaguely debating trying to get into the code and make an entirely different game mode.  It would likely be a construction-oriented style, dropping the players on a ruined station with the task to get so-and-so systems functional.  It could either be pvp with an operative tasked to stop the repairs, or pve with threats like space carp, volatile canisters, leftover diseases, and hunger being an actual issue.  The traitor could have various tasks, like "plant this syndicate AI instead of Nanotrasen" or "prevent reconstruction" or "they're shipping in resources, instead you need to build a battle mech and escape with it."

Another style would be a "stranded" game, where you start in one or more crashed lifepods/shuttles, and need to get local resources, get the ship running, or get a distress call sent.  This could easily have rival factions trying to be 'the only ones to escape' or 'this is your chance to seize power'.

Of course, these would generally be much longer rounds, but I feel there's not enough construction dealt with normally.  Most rounds go to hell before robotics can even assemble a Ripley, much less handle resources and make repairs/additions.

It'd also be a lot of code-diving, which is likely beyond me...

Inscribed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: April 16, 2013, 10:08:15 pm »

Yep. I was the only traitor that round.

I think that was the most robust round I've ever had.

Yeah, I was cursing your name when that damned pod left! I could see you, watch you, but damned if I could get you. And how often did I feel the urge to kill my crew grow. Damned captain tried, repeatedly, to stun you through the damned windows! Very robust round, although I hate you a little bit extra for blowing up the Telecom. Damned annoying to get called everywhere by everyone. At some point, three people called for my hologram at once.

And Girlinhat, the Robustness of USEC_OFFICER's came through repeated victories and evasive action, outsmarting and outmanvouering a whole crew and friendly AI Marianne. He was quite robust that round.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: April 16, 2013, 10:47:44 pm »

Yeah, I was cursing your name when that damned pod left! I could see you, watch you, but damned if I could get you.

Bugger. I need to re-read the hacking guide then, since I thought I going around and disabling your cameras. Still, that does explain a lot though.

Very robust round, although I hate you a little bit extra for blowing up the Telecom. Damned annoying to get called everywhere by everyone. At some point, three people called for my hologram at once.

Did people really not grab any radios? It's usually the first thing on my mind when telecomms go down. I'm pretty sure a lot of the people I ambushed had them, but I didn't hear that much talking... Or did you change channels? Might have been smart.

Damned captain tried, repeatedly, to stun you through the damned windows!

I forgot that stun doesn't go through windows either, so I had an "Oh shit" moment when the Captain appeared. Luckily for me that second window was there, or things might have gone pear-shaped.

And Girlinhat, the Robustness of USEC_OFFICER's came through repeated victories and evasive action, outsmarting and outmanvouering a whole crew and friendly AI Marianne. He was quite robust that round.

Yeah, the element of surprise is a large component of robustness. So is luck, though I'm not sure which one is more important. Obviously having a ranged stun weapon is the greatest part of robustness. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:19 pm »

Yeah, I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere that stun didn't go through windows.  And there he was with the captain's recharging gun shooting lethal.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: April 16, 2013, 11:53:54 pm »

Right. So...

I probably should have called the shuttle first, but I thought that, just maybe, the experiment might be a success. I was wrong. The server should probably be restarted.

Ironically enough Engineering itself is still intact...

edit: Nvm, someone managed to call the shuttle. Then died.

Spoiler: Singularity Test 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Singularity Test 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Conclusions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:45:29 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:56 am »

Does anyone else think that the 7x7 singularity looks scary as shit? It reminds me too much of Giygas.

Actually, that would be a really really sweet alternative to Nar-Sie. Giygas. The entire station goes dark and the only thing you can see coming towards you is motherfucking Giygas, swallowing everything. One phrase, repeated over and over, in larger text in relation to your proximity to Giygas: "It hurts."
Also often called Boowells.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: April 17, 2013, 12:30:21 am »

That's the 9x9 one, actually. The 7x7 is a royal blue colour. You rarely see it because it's only one step away from doom, and most people turn off the PA before it gets there.

But yes, it is quite scary.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:33:46 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: April 17, 2013, 12:33:11 am »

This is most curious.  I've never looked too closely at the singulo, but it looks very interesting.  The fact that you can set one up in the bar is impressive!  I should think that the bomb range would be another ideal location, assuming no one fires bombs at it.  Nothing could go wrong at this location.

I've also heard of using Atmosia as a backup singulo.  This does of course beg the question, how many could we fit onto a station?  Easily, the normal singulo, the bar, the bomb range, the chapel, and probably the holodeck.  What would we do with the power of 5 singulo at once?  Aside from the obvious...

Wire them directly to the main grid and gib anyone who tries to open a door.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: April 17, 2013, 12:38:59 am »

Well, the engineering singulo itself, when wired directly into the grid, already provides far more power than the station could ever conceivably use. You'd have to deploy 6-8 power sinks (600k W per tick each) to 'use' all that power. Or create way more machinery than the station currently has available.

Also, the mention of the 7x7 singulo has got me thinking. Turns out I do need to do a fourth experiment.

Thing is...
I never actually *saw* the 7x7 stage this time around. It was a safe 5x5 (albeit one putting out a little too much power) before I went around the corner, then the next I saw it it was 9x9. Did it jump straight from 5x5 to 9x9? Intriguing...

This may require several experiments. First, verify that it does indeed skip the 7x7 stage; then, since the characteristics of the 5x5 and 7x7 are different (Notably, the 5x5 loses power much more quickly than the 7x7, so you can safely leave the PA on at 0 strength to sustain that stage. Doing so with the 7x7 usually leads to uncontrolled growth), does this mean we can have the sustainability of the 5x5 with the power output of the 7x7? And if so, how much power can we get from it?

Both might be doable in a single experiment.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:44:33 am by wlerin »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: April 17, 2013, 12:49:09 am »

Know what I think the game needs?  Something for research to do further on.  Particle Accelerators and Matter Generators would both consume massive power to use!  Potentially fantastic options as well, like using PA (the collision sort, not the Singulo sort) to generate strange matter and radiation and of course dimensional rifts.  Mass Fabs could be used to generate things like silver and diamond on less rational substances.  There's plenty of 'blue space' material unexplored yet.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: April 17, 2013, 01:05:57 am »

I've never seen anyone totally complete research in an average round. Generally something goes wrong first. Like getting murdered. Or the singularity. Or a server crash.

Speaking of I really need to figure out how to get farther in R&D. Always hit a wall.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: April 17, 2013, 01:07:46 am »

whenever I play RD I could max out research within an hour given the right materials, the only issue is getting the chemist to give you acid or having a miner.    On an average round that has people that do thier jobs somewhat reliably?  Hell yeah I can max out research halfway through the round...
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1654