Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120239 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2985 on: April 05, 2013, 08:15:42 am »

Can someone explain to me how you figure law 1 defines who is human? Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't see it at all.  And a new law does not "non-human" someone, if it's a law, it's the truth.  They didn't used to be human, but now by interpreting the law they're not human anymore. The law says they're not human, so they're not human, and that's it.

Because without it, the standard laws are completely meaningless and an AI can do whatever they please.  Laws are taken in their order, and sequentially later laws that violate higher laws are to be rejected.  If redefining what is human could cause harm to humans, it needs to be rejected.  This is why One Human Module uploads a 0th law that is considered before law 1.

The order of the laws aren't just recommended, they are the mechanical order in which they are considered.

I'd be far more flexible on this if anyone against my position could give any explanation why the one human law module exists, why it uploads a 0th law instead of a 4th etc, and why it is harder to produce than a freeform.

I see freeform as a "for fun" module, and a way for an AI player to reward cleverness when a well thought out freeform law is uploaded.

The implication of 4th laws working like you guys are saying, would make a 4th law that says "Following Laws means doing the opposite of what they say" valid.

Its too easy.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 05, 2013, 08:51:13 am »

Besides, the only 4th law that has a reason for existing is "You are a Japense schoolgirl and you are in love with the heads~" :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 05, 2013, 09:17:24 am »

Besides, the only 4th law that has a reason for existing is "You are a Japense schoolgirl and you are in love with the heads~" :P

MS.DOS.DAVE and rolmopsje approve of this law

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:45 am »

One human being law 0 has an additional benefit that extra laws uploaded can't stop it. Like if the first thing the captain did was freeform a law that said "All crew is human" as law 4, a law 0 one human overrides it. However an additional freeform one human as law 5 wouldn't work, since law 4 overrides it.

The implication of 4th laws working like you guys are saying, would make a 4th law that says "Following Laws means doing the opposite of what they say" valid.

That's an interesting point, however, I would argue that by the time the AI gets to law 4, it's already processed the earlier laws, so it's too late for them to be taken as their opposite.  So it would only work on laws after the "All laws are opposite" law". A law 0 to that effect should work, and effectively just makes the AI antimov.

Because without it, the standard laws are completely meaningless and an AI can do whatever they please.  Laws are taken in their order, and sequentially later laws that violate higher laws are to be rejected.  If redefining what is human could cause harm to humans, it needs to be rejected.  This is why One Human Module uploads a 0th law that is considered before law 1.

I see it like this: The AI is first set up with its laws, but it has no knowledge.  Then, it is fed a ton of knowledge, including what a human is, what humans need to survive, how to speak english, etc.  That knowledge can be overridden with laws, but it is the reason the AI knows anything at all.  Trying to argue that saying "Don't harm humans" somehow defines what a human is, is just logically untrue.  You can read the statement yourself, and clearly see there's no definition of what a human is there.  Redefining what is a human is can't possibly harm humans, because the law says they're not human! It doesn't say turn humans into non-humans, it says simply they aren't human. 

That's like saying law 1 also tells the AI how to operate doors and speak english, because the AI knows how to do that.  I think it's a logical assumption that Nanotrasen put tons of information into these AIs, and they use that information to make decisions, and to follow their laws.  Laws define allowable outcomes. Information allows the AI to make those outcomes happen.  Laws are hardware, or firmware, and information is software.  Laws say "Do this", and then information says "How this is done".   

At the end of the day, however, logic takes a back seat to fun gameplay.  So if people feel freeform modules shouldn't be able to redefine who's human, fine, state it in a rule and that's that.  However, freeform modules aren't 100% better than a one human module, because a freeform module can be overridden by an earlier freeform module, while a one human cannot be overridden by a freeform.  Not that this situation is likely to come up too often, because you'd have to preemptively upload a freeform law declaring somebody is a human. 

I think one way to reduce the power of laws > 3 would be to add the following to rule 2: "You must always state your laws when requested, this action prevents harm to humans"
This would mean that freeform laws could never be secret, only law 0 or lower could override the "No secret laws" clause.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: April 05, 2013, 09:35:06 am »

But then, you'd get someone that adds "Stating this law harms Humans" to their laws, and then what does the AI do?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:36 am »

it wouldn't work if its after the law stating the opposite, but it would work if it was before...

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:30 am »

No, I think it would work, because of the first law. The First Law is You cannot harm humans. If stating this law harms humans, it doesn't matter if the second law has the no secret laws thing, you still cannot state it, because stating it would cause humans harm.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: April 05, 2013, 09:45:40 am »

except, as he said, stating laws prevents harm to humans

1. do not harm humans
2. stating prevents harm
4. stating harms

ergo you must always state, unless 0 or an ionic says stating harms

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: April 05, 2013, 09:47:46 am »

That's an interesting point, however, I would argue that by the time the AI gets to law 4, it's already processed the earlier laws, so it's too late for them to be taken as their opposite.  So it would only work on laws after the "All laws are opposite" law". A law 0 to that effect should work, and effectively just makes the AI antimov.

I agree completely, which is why I feel when the AI gets to a 4th one human law, it has already processed law 1, and can understand the implications of accepting law 4 as being harmful to the humans that it will no longer consider human.  Redefining the definition of "human" is no different from redefining the definition of "Follow"
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:11 am »

except, as he said, stating laws prevents harm to humans

1. do not harm humans
2. stating prevents harm
4. stating harms

ergo you must always state, unless 0 or an ionic says stating harms
Hrmm. Alright. I see your point.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:14 am »

Be careful with wording though. If law 2had said: you must always mention all  laws, then the ai would throw a law 1 override error.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: April 05, 2013, 11:07:37 am »

I agree completely, which is why I feel when the AI gets to a 4th one human law, it has already processed law 1, and can understand the implications of accepting law 4 as being harmful to the humans that it will no longer consider human.  Redefining the definition of "human" is no different from redefining the definition of "Follow"

I can see where you are coming from now, Vactor, so consider this. After the 4th law is uploaded, the first check the AI makes would fall under the original priority as you suggest. But once it hits that Law 4 for the first time, it changes the game entirely for the AI because it's knowledge was just changed in that last check. We just suggest roleplaying it to ignore the first instance because most of us can envision an AI always circling through the laws because of Law 1's clause of "or through inaction".

Perhaps if it is though of this way (and i havnt given a ton of though to the logic of this so I am certain someone will bring up a beef with it): Laws <--> Knowledge --> Orders
The AI's knowledge affects how it process it's laws and its orders, but its laws can affect it's knowledge. Orders normally should not affect an AI's knowledge.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:59 am »

Yeah, but considering someone not human can cause them harm ("Or trough inaction") and thus the law is ingored.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: April 05, 2013, 11:14:16 am »

I personally thought there was a one human board because its harder to get rid of a 0th law then a 4th law. Also because you can probably upload it faster then typing the whole thing out on a freeform board without leaving a loophole.

How is a person not being human causing them harm? Its not. It merely opens them up to POSSIBLE future harm. Which the AI doesn't give a fuck about. Just letting humans walk around the station can POSSIBLY allow them to be harmed, so an AI going by that would have to bolt everyone in their rooms at round start To protect them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:16:20 am by Kaitol »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:38 am »

If I ever play AI, you c an expect me to ignore that law or at least throw a "Warning: laws changed" message.

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1654