Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120220 times)

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2955 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:54 pm »

It's based off a story about someone a dwarf who killed the other 6 and did everything by herself back in 2d times. It's kinda really old.

Damn, I remember that.

It was a funny story as well, wasn't there a cat that she loved, or something?
I need to put something interesting here.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: April 04, 2013, 04:37:19 pm »

Also, you can't command the AI to not consider someone human.

i'd like to hear the explanation/rationale for this, as i don't understand it exactly. since theres a onehuman standard board, shouldn't the inverse also be allowable?

I believe by command he's referring to actually telling the AI that someone isn't human. Doing it through rules should definitively work, since the laws pretty much trump everything.

I don't get it either, at no point does defining a human go against any of the laws (well, besides the fact that AI should resist attempts to upload such law due to it causing harm to de-humaned person). The laws simply tell the AI to protect humans, the definiton of humans is not stated by default and as such cannot supersede any other definition.

A few things about this:

The order of the laws isn't just to show priority, it is the mechanical order in which they are processed.  Remember laws like this are based in the old days of computers that could only handle a single argument at a time.

If we presume that the AI has no definition of what a human is or what harm is, then the laws are meaningless, and a non-corrupted AI can just go nuts and kill the crew all the time, in any round.

There is a reason the "One Human Law" creates a 0th Law.  It needs to be processed before Law 1 in order for it to work as intended.  If you try to  use a free form law and make it 4th or 5th, it would be overridden by law 1, unless you are in fact the only human.

If you want to do one human + other stuff, use the One Human Module to create a 0th law, then freeform in your additional laws as 4th 5th etc.  This is the best way to do it and it makes it very clear for the AI player how they should behave.  Making a freeform one human law just creates confusion.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: April 04, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »

Making a freeform one human law just creates confusion.
So a 4th or later freeform One human law would not work as a 'presumed' definition of human comes with law 1?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: April 04, 2013, 04:55:37 pm »

A few things about this:

The order of the laws isn't just to show priority, it is the mechanical order in which they are processed.  Remember laws like this are based in the old days of computers that could only handle a single argument at a time.

If we presume that the AI has no definition of what a human is or what harm is, then the laws are meaningless, and a non-corrupted AI can just go nuts and kill the crew all the time, in any round.

There is a reason the "One Human Law" creates a 0th Law.  It needs to be processed before Law 1 in order for it to work as intended.  If you try to  use a free form law and make it 4th or 5th, it would be overridden by law 1, unless you are in fact the only human.

If you want to do one human + other stuff, use the One Human Module to create a 0th law, then freeform in your additional laws as 4th 5th etc.  This is the best way to do it and it makes it very clear for the AI player how they should behave.  Making a freeform one human law just creates confusion.

What about Oxgyen is Harmful to Humans law? I thought it doesn't upload as a zeroth law. Might have to double check that.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: April 04, 2013, 05:14:37 pm »

Isn't that an event law? those gets added before 1 and after traitor/malf

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: April 04, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »

Isn't that an event law? those gets added before 1 and after traitor/malf
"Oxygen is harmful" sits in the high-risk modules glass box next to the cyborg upload. The wiki claims it's added into sector 9, which I believe is after law three. I'm really not sure how it would work.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: April 04, 2013, 05:28:56 pm »

Oxygen is toxic to humans would find its uploaded priority to be in front of freeform laws, but after core laws any other misc ones. I think this, among other ideas, makes Vactor's argument invalid. The TG wiki acknowledges that such laws would be valid:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think that we have more or less decided we would look to TG's rules for the basis of our rules already too.

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: April 04, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »

Anyone else having difficulty connecting?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: April 04, 2013, 05:55:08 pm »

I think Vactor's interpretation is the most sensible, honestly. The AI's logic and ability to understand English (including the definitions of words) has to exist above the laws. The tgstation wiki isn't entirely self-consistent on the rules, imo.
Quote from: http://wiki.nanotrasen.com/index.php?title=Ai_Modules
An AI follows its laws according to its priority. If a conflict in laws occurs, the law with the highest priority must be followed, and the lower priority law must be ignored. Please note, this means higher priority laws cannot be overwritten, Eg "5. This law overwrites all other laws." would be ignored.
The example they use is pretty clear cut, but doesn't offer much in the way of an explanation. I think it's pretty clear that uploading a law that said "4. Electrocute all humans." would be in conflict with Asimov's 1st law and ignored by the AI, so how is a law that says "4. Electrocution does not harm humans; electrocute all humans" any different, really?

EDIT:
Oxygen is toxic to humans would find its uploaded priority to be in front of freeform laws, but after core laws any other misc ones. I think this, among other ideas, makes Vactor's argument invalid. The TG wiki acknowledges that such laws would be valid:
I think that we have more or less decided we would look to TG's rules for the basis of our rules already too.
I guess the point is that it's pretty clear what the result is if that law is uploaded with the Hacked AI Module (which uploads an ionic law), but less clear what happens if you use a Freeform module.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:09:22 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: April 04, 2013, 06:03:26 pm »

And that is why the robots in the book hang so much.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: April 04, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »

I take that statement to simply be that if someone manages to upload the one human law, an AI player would be considered to be a poor sport to state: "Laws successfully changed, there is now one human on board"

I think it far from invalidates my argument.  Remember the TG code, and wiki is built by many contributors, who may not have all given the same thorough consideration to the mechanics of AI laws.

The tool to do what people want to do is there, just use the One Human module, and create the 0th law.  0th laws are part of the game for a reason.  Using a 4th law to freeform one human is arguable either way, and not a good situation to put your AI player in.

Just for the record, I think that the additional lawsets are a bit silly, but I don't particularly mind because it adds variety and enjoyment.  I take them as less laws, and more personalities and goals that you can give the AI.  Functionally they don't work like the Asimovian Laws.  (again going back to the machine can only handle a single argument at a time idea)  Asimovian Laws to me are lines of code that are written in English.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Vespulan

• Bay Watcher
  • HARRRRRRRR Vespulan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »

Three rounds playing Head of Personnel in a row, three rounds getting violently or hideously murdered in a row.  One of these days I'm going to be the traitor and take this bottled up rage out on the whole station - kitchen-knife style. 

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:16 pm »

Hey, just as a general note, /tg/ updated their space law and the wiki page. It's now a lot more comprehensive, and now has sections covering brig procedures, legal representation and trials, and use of deadly force. Also, the crimes in general have been updated. For instance, Syndicate Collaboration now falls under the Capital Crime: Enemy of the Corporation. Those are some of the big changes, but I recommend that you guys to check it out. http://wiki.nanotrasen.com/index.php?title=Space_Law

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2968 on: April 04, 2013, 06:52:05 pm »

[vent]
That round was very frustrating for me. First time I've played in months, and the HoS immediately lures me into a hallway and kills me. Then I spawned as an alien, sat around trying to figure that out, and by the time I knew what to do the Emergency Shuttle had been called. I get killed again by the same guy because he's in the shuttle and I can't get to him, so I missed everything that happened afterwards for nothing, basically.

Not anyone's fault in particular. Just very frustrating.
[/vent]
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: April 04, 2013, 06:58:09 pm »

To everyone I killed during that round, you have my most sincere apologies. Sorry I just wanted to try doing that for once, and I won't try random-murder as a traitor again.

Ivefan, you asked why people are polite when they give orders because maybe the AI won't get upset from being ordered around all the time. Besides what's wrong with being polite?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:00:53 pm by Kalemyr Skyfire »
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1654