Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2122236 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2265 on: March 26, 2013, 03:58:04 pm »

Rules are kinda really important to a public server.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 26, 2013, 04:16:38 pm »

I really, really dislike the idea of having a public server. At least as of now. I also don't imagine our playerbase would jump up that much if we made it public anyways. Sure we might get an extra few people on at any given time, but I doubt we'd gain many players who would actual frequent the server.

Although if we really had to go public, we'd have to do a few things. We'd obviously need a very good rule set, that allows us to promote the playstyle that all players would enjoy (And this playstyle is also largely up for debate.) I imagine we'd also need a public forum of some kind that isn't Bay12. This thread is fine, but I think it'd be easier to redirect public players who go on the server to a new site rather than this one. The last thing we'd need is a very good admin-base, to ensure nothing goes wrong. Now, we can of course say the admins have been doing good so far. But we don't really know how most (If not all) admins handle the actual administration part of a public game server.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 26, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »

Rarely? We get twenty most afternoons and weekends now, which is pretty awesome. But yes, when there's not a lot of people, it gets annoying having 3 miners and no engineers.

I am not really enticed by the idea of changing a huge setting such as this when it would only be effective half the time, and the other half it might be limiting player choice.

As to our player base right now, yes we have 20 people on the server at once fairly often now, but how engaged are those people? We rarely get 15+ people readied up for round starts (this is what determines what gamemodes are playable in secret) even with admin forced delays. I am of the belief that we've peaked, in terms of playerbase that we will get, from this semi-public approach.

You're already limiting player choice. Not everyone can be an Engineer or Cook or Botanist. The station needs a balanced crew to some extent. TG is balanced for more than 20 people. We get about 20 on weekends. If people ready up and 5 people set their high to Doctor and Medium to Botanist, we get all Doctors because there are positions still open. We don't need 5 Doctors and no Cook or Botanist. If we had 40 people on, then sure 5 Doctors is needed. I Just think we need some scaling for our typical max pop.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:22:00 pm by BigD145 »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 26, 2013, 04:25:07 pm »

The only way we could make this public if we had a few responsible people willing to mod and a few of the higher ranking postitions locked to bay12 or trust players to prevent griefing.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 26, 2013, 04:30:03 pm »

You're already limiting player choice. Not everyone can be an Engineer or Cook or Botanist. The station needs a balanced crew to some extent. TG is balanced for more than 20 people. We get about 20 on weekends. If people ready up and 5 people set their high to Doctor and Medium to Botanist, we get all Doctors because there are positions still open. We don't need 5 Doctors and no Cook or Botanist. If we had 40 people on, then sure 5 Doctors is needed. I Just think we need some scaling for our typical max pop.

So how is that a limit on player choice? Your point is valid but I dont understand your initial argument.

As for needing a new forum, I would say we dont need that, just simply offer no avenue of appeals for bans and just never permaban someone.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 26, 2013, 04:49:18 pm »

NO public. PLEASE. I used to be on a public server. It was one of the most respected. Griefers and idiots EVERYWHERE. EVERY. WHERE. It attracts wannabe Cuban Petes and makes it less fun for the RPers here.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:59 pm »

I certainly prefer the speedyness we have in general compared to other servers.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 26, 2013, 04:55:32 pm »

So how is that a limit on player choice? Your point is valid but I dont understand your initial argument.

I dont know what kind of player choice you're talking about, but he seems to be advocating a more distributed job allocation at round start

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 26, 2013, 05:32:28 pm »

I dont know what kind of player choice you're talking about, but he seems to be advocating a more distributed job allocation at round start

Choice I am speaking of is you get to play what job you want.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 26, 2013, 05:59:15 pm »

Just to give a few metrics to this, in the last 24 hours we've had around 70 different players connect to the server.  Also I feel much more comfortable hosting a semi-public server rather than a full blown public one.  I'd prefer to not spend my evenings trying to track what griefers are doing.

It might be interesting to do an event each week, where we try to get a lot of people on for one evening for a big round or something.  I could see us reasonably getting 40 people on at the same time.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 26, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »

I agree with Vactor. We have a decently big player base, it's just people log on at way different times. There are obvious high points, but still. Plus, that base is constantly growing. When I started on this server, it was rare to even see fifteen on besides weekends. Now that number is nothing.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 26, 2013, 06:23:14 pm »

A big weekly event is actually a great idea to get players on. Usually admin's just run events on whims, but if we had people collaborating and setting a certain date we could have people know ahead of time that something fun was going to happen.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 26, 2013, 06:24:18 pm »

But what should the event be to start?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 26, 2013, 06:28:36 pm »

It could be a series of games with admin participation to make sure everything runs smoothly. Like a rev/cult round that actually isn't completely disappointing. Anything really, I'm sure we all could brainstorm something.
Welcome to Reality.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 26, 2013, 06:41:16 pm »

I would rather not go public myself, but of course it's not my server.  I have played on a few public servers, and... it's just stupidity and chaos.  It's cool playing with the same group of people, and there's a sense of accountability that way.

I also don't understand why engineers have full atmos access. Do Atmos techs have engineering access? Why even have the option to be an atmos tech? 

I'd agree that it might make sense to reduce the allowable number of some jobs, like scientists (2 max), engineers (1 or 2 max), shaft miners (1 or 2 max), cargo techs (Do we need cargo techs at all?)
We never have a huge amount of security, so I don't see an issue there.

HoP's could be a little more liberal in giving people more access, like if there's a chef, bartender, or botanist, just give them access for all of it.  People should be asking for more access too in many cases, since the population's so small. That could also create some interesting antag possibilities
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1654