Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120646 times)

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #2025 on: March 24, 2013, 05:54:57 am »

Is there something about SS13 that automatically makes you a complete psychopath? Just curious because whenever anyone I know talks about (or when I play it for that matter) everyone is nuts. Even if they're trying not to be.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: March 24, 2013, 05:55:36 am »

If there is, I wouldn't know.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 24, 2013, 06:14:57 am »

I dunno I try and be mostly sane in game, and like to think I am... but unlike real life I drink like a fish and smoke non-stop... so yeah there is something about it.  Space sickness maybe
Nom nom nom

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 24, 2013, 06:16:30 am »

I try to be sane, often.
But in the end, I think I just come off as a tyrant.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: March 24, 2013, 06:47:03 am »

I think people aren't that insane in general, but rounds would be boring as fuck without insanity.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 24, 2013, 07:37:00 am »

Is there something about SS13 that automatically makes you a complete psychopath? Just curious because whenever anyone I know talks about (or when I play it for that matter) everyone is nuts. Even if they're trying not to be.

Well, first of all, this is Bay12 you are talking to, the community that gleefully builds mechanisms that rely on mermaid sex slaves and drowning the resulting babies. Second, in terms of fun, SS13 is very unstable, so it's either 'OMFG SO EPIC' or '...meh', if you are playing with all-normal crew (BS12, looking at you). If you want to keep a stable, high level of fun, the station has to pretty much become an episode of Sealab in all but name.

GOD I love sociopathic sadistic CMO with a temper that leads to bloodshed. I did ghetto surgery, plain torture, stabbing out his eyes, gender bending, trying to blow him/her up and all with extremely creepy quotes. While doing ghetto surgery and screwing up: "This is just like Operation. With consequences."

I... think I like you. Well, at least as Maximilian Kepplinger, although he's more of a SCIENCE!!! guy with a side of extremely weird. In fact, in the previous cult round people thought he was a cultist even though he wasn't, he just was treating surgery on the humanized monkeys as one part experiment, one part modern art. Oh, and the entire floor of the Operating Theatre, the room leading to it, and the medicine storage were painted with blood. Although I admit to being slightly inspired by a certain character
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: March 24, 2013, 07:55:17 am »

Perception bias. You just don't get epic rounds with normal people, and of course nobody talks about the regular old boring rounds. So the rounds where a couple of people act psychotic are talked/discussed about a lot, though obviously not everyone was acting as crazy or chaotic. Plus people tend to have a few personalities they like to play as, and those people can be eccentric at times. The normal people fade into the background while the interesting/crazy people are more obvious/memorable.

Then again it might be the servers you were on. From what I've heard most of general the servers tend towards general chaos and mayhem, while BS12 and to a lesser extent Urist McStation tend to focus more on the RP, and its own brand of chaos and mayhem (Also I'm certain that other servers focus on RP, I just haven't heard anything about them yet).

But then again it's just a game, so people are free to do what they normally wouldn't do. And since people like awesome/epic/cool things to occur each round, a positive feedback loop can form which encourages crazy behaviour.

But then again it's a game about 2D Spacemens, so maybe that's just what happens with 2D Spacemens. Who knows?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 24, 2013, 08:20:34 am »

Perception bias. You just don't get epic rounds with normal people, and of course nobody talks about the regular old boring rounds. So the rounds where a couple of people act psychotic are talked/discussed about a lot, though obviously not everyone was acting as crazy or chaotic. Plus people tend to have a few personalities they like to play as, and those people can be eccentric at times. The normal people fade into the background while the interesting/crazy people are more obvious/memorable.

Then again it might be the servers you were on. From what I've heard most of general the servers tend towards general chaos and mayhem, while BS12 and to a lesser extent Urist McStation tend to focus more on the RP, and its own brand of chaos and mayhem (Also I'm certain that other servers focus on RP, I just haven't heard anything about them yet).

Really good point here, the perception bias leading to self-selection bias perpetuating the cycle.

Although I wouldn't exactly fit BS12 and UMcS into the same category of RP-focus. In BS12, every single thing you do is supposed to have an adult, sane, safe and tolerable reason for doing that, and if there isn't one, fun be damned. In UMcS, you are pretty much free to do whatever you want as long as you don't violate the 'Don't be a dick' rule (well, too hard, at least :P), and that lends itself to more eccentric characters.

I dunno I try and be mostly sane in game, and like to think I am... but unlike real life I drink like a fish and smoke non-stop... so yeah there is something about it.  Space sickness maybe.

You got infected by Spess Noir. When you start monologuing uncontrollably, report to the Chemist for your dose of LSD.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: March 24, 2013, 08:23:05 am »

Woo, we have an abbreviation now! UMcS ftw!

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31:01 am »

Although I wouldn't exactly fit BS12 and UMcS into the same category of RP-focus. In BS12, every single thing you do is supposed to have an adult, sane, safe and tolerable reason for doing that, and if there isn't one, fun be damned. In UMcS, you are pretty much free to do whatever you want as long as you don't violate the 'Don't be a dick' rule (well, too hard, at least :P), and that lends itself to more eccentric characters.

Like I said, to a lesser extend UMcS. We're definitively not as focused as BS12, but we do have more RP focus than some of the other SS13 servers.

Note to self: Play some of the other SS13 servers and stop going off of hearsay.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:31 am »

You got infected by Spess Noir. When you start monologuing uncontrollably, report to the Chemist for your dose of LSD.
But but... I did start monologuing uncontrollably when I decided to be a chef/lawyer... oh god I was also smoking liberty caps at the same time...  you sir are psychic.
Nom nom nom

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: March 24, 2013, 10:22:12 am »

The big problem with BS12 is: what adult and sane person would accept money from some shady orginazation to steal something or kill someone and potentially ruin their entire life and job and make a bigass and powerful company hunt them down. Or is every NT employee a hitman? Lings at least make sense in that regard, as they are hitmen and they got on board by absorbing a guy.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 24, 2013, 10:26:22 am »

I wish there was a mode without random events. It's so annoying to have to deal with gravity shit and the like.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 24, 2013, 10:32:11 am »

I wish there was a mode without random events. It's so annoying to have to deal with gravity shit and the like.
That event should normally be off, and isn't the frequency fixed? Also, it would be fuckboring without random events. Especially if you're in extended or traitor and the traitor's objectives are steal a salt shaker and escape alive.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:02 am »

Other than one gravity and one ion storm that round had no random events. It was so boring cargo ordered a hat crate and started replacing metal floors with wood. So boring.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 1654