Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120042 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #19140 on: October 01, 2014, 05:48:17 pm »

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19141 on: October 01, 2014, 05:49:15 pm »

Click on the Emitter.png emitter and let it fire FIVE shots at the supermatter. Click on it again to stop it from firing.

All I need to see to know the guide is outdated and won't work. You need ten to fifteen now to get any power at all.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19142 on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:52 pm »

It's still enough for you to figure out how to make sure the whole thing doesn't go boom. You literally can't fuck this up if you follow the guide (and as you mentioned, yes, you need more more shots now, but if you can't figure out that much then you shouldn't be near the engine anyway).

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19143 on: October 01, 2014, 06:15:39 pm »

It's still enough for you to figure out how to make sure the whole thing doesn't go boom. You literally can't fuck this up if you follow the guide (and as you mentioned, yes, you need more more shots now, but if you can't figure out that much then you shouldn't be near the engine anyway).

Seems so, what I got from the guide was 'Do this to set it up, and then zap it with the emitter cautiously until it hits this amount of power.'

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19144 on: October 01, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »

Basically. You should take any guide with a grain of salt anyway, as none of them were written with our code in mind.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19145 on: October 01, 2014, 06:47:15 pm »

Urist McStation code in particular doesn't change all that much, especially not in terms of major features like the supermatter engine. The issue here is that the Baystation wiki (or any wiki for a Space Station 13 server, really) is almost always dated because nobody bothers to update them. Following the wiki has a pretty good chance of triggering a catastrophic failure in just about any revision you try. At least the supermatter will either self-destruct or sit out in the middle of nowhere and blast out massive amounts of radiation, which is pretty tame compared to the perpetual engine of death and destruction that is the singularity moving the wrong way.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19146 on: October 01, 2014, 06:51:19 pm »

I've never gotten to play with the singulo, but the supermatter seems way less dangerous in general.

1) It takes a long time to explode if something goes wrong. Assuming the AI isn't messing with you, this makes it basically impossible to *not* eject, at which point you either order a new one or just go with solars. And even if it does go boom, it won't affect much beyond engineering and the nearby maintenance corridors. The rest of the station, and the solars, will still work fine.

2) It's output is currently low enough that you have to take some *minor* risks to get REALLY good power. This makes it more interesting for engineers: We actually have to watch it, and even when its output is good, it's not quite safe enough or high enough to make the solars useless, so we have a reason to do those as well.

3) There is no way to remotely cause it to fail (unless you are AI). As Antag, you MUST be present in engineering for a while sabotaging the supermatter, and your sabotage is either very loud or fairly slow at which point a diligent engineer can catch you or stop whatever you've set in motion.
Spoiler: Random Round (click to show/hide)

Compared with the singulo, where...
1) On a good day, the station is fucked. On a bad day, the escape shuttle is fucked.
2) It produces enough power that you might leave it unattended, which means...
3) The antag can get in, set a remote signal to the emitter console, and then trigger it later at any point. This can make it very difficult to stop, and kind of uninteresting for the engineers. Though if they see the console trigger in front of them, they'll know what's up.

Though in both cases, the AI is just ridiculous :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19147 on: October 01, 2014, 06:58:07 pm »

The last version of the singulo I've worked with actually couldn't me left unattended. If you kept the PA turned off, it would inevitably shrink, and if you kept it on, it would always grow. So you had to periodically wait for it to shrink before firing at it again.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19148 on: October 01, 2014, 07:15:48 pm »

Pretty sure you can set it to 0 and leave it on. I don't think they would change that.

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19149 on: October 01, 2014, 07:20:02 pm »

Supermatter if you know what you are doing is fairly easy. The only real danger from supermatter is the radiation and that can be negated with a radiation suit. The singularity engine on the other hand can kill you in a lot of different ways from just setting it up. On top of the radiation it gives out when its on, it pulls of anyone and anything not bolted down or wearing magboots and spews of emp every so often and likes to shock the airlocks among other things. There is also the danger of emitters shooting you in the back, containment field frying you if you are too close or pulled in, and even less common baycode/baymed dangers like forgetting to turn on your o2 and getting a ruptured lung from taking too long to turn it on or frying any prosthetics or pacemakers you have. This is just the dangers you get from regular operation.

When the supermatter goes critical you get a loud warning telling you engineering is about to get wrecked and the damage while large and creates a lagspike is often contained to just engineering and also irridating everyone everywhere, even on the asteroid, with atmos problems in the longer term if breaches are not sealed, which unfortunately is a common occurrence if there are no good engineers. The singularity on the other hand makes engineering a complete death zone when it grows to the SINGLOTH, it complete wrecks engineering with no hope of fixing it and depending on your luck it may either drift out into space spareing the station or become a atmos and /del lag filled vortex of death and destruction from which there is only pain and robusteding, while staring off into the uncomprehensible abyss of the SINGLOTH until everything you know and love to hate is sucked off into oblivion.

tl;dr singlo is probably much more dangerous then the supermatter, which is fine, but it can also be a lag filled ball of hate and lag and lag when provoked while the supermatter ejaculates most of its lag in one go and is not too bad to return from.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19150 on: October 01, 2014, 07:33:33 pm »

Pretty sure you can set it to 0 and leave it on. I don't think they would change that.
Nope, it did degrade. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed it back due to complaints, though.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19151 on: October 01, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »

Nope, it did degrade. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed it back due to complaints, though.

The singularity shrinks and grows when the power is set to 0. It can't sustain its size at three, but zero power is enough to make a size two grow.

Probably not what you meant though.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19152 on: October 01, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »

Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19153 on: October 01, 2014, 08:44:27 pm »

YES PLEASE

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile