Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1213 1214 [1215] 1216 1217 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2123229 times)

Gale212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #18210 on: August 13, 2014, 03:36:01 am »

so, when did cults become so robust? also, curse that brain dead chef meat shield

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18211 on: August 13, 2014, 03:45:54 am »

I'm not sure if they've become any stronger, these ones were just being very careful and using some of the hidden-wall chambers. I was over most of the station and maintenance tunnels before they turned me and never saw a single rune or blood until they noisily took down the detective. Usually they seem to end up kind of littered all over the station.

What I want to know is what you guys did to get the detectives attention earlier :P

Gale212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18212 on: August 13, 2014, 03:58:03 am »

As the AI i was board and watching people and figured the detective would be interesting. I was trying not to meta do hard since we knew what the gamemode was (which i hate) and eventually watched Jericho give the CMO a talisman which she handed back nit knowing what it was. Went back to the detective and saw Jericho take him to interrogation and i listend in. I tried to just free the detective when i ssaw and realized what happend. I had also warned the detective via pda about sketchy activity but got no replies.

Also, we need more dolls/customization for dolls.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:03:35 am by Gale212 »

Vakothu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18213 on: August 13, 2014, 04:04:08 am »

I'll give it 24 more minutes, if it hasn't restarted by then, I'll assume auto-restart doesn't work.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18214 on: August 13, 2014, 04:18:12 am »

hmm, let me fiddle with the auto-restart, see what it's turn around is on my system. I imagine it should be less than a couple minutes, depending on the mechanism its using to detect failure. I would guess that either its not working or its not on.

Vakothu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18215 on: August 13, 2014, 04:28:29 am »

It's now been a little over an hour, so I assume the script failed, somewhere.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18216 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:40 am »

Good assumption, I think I might know why as well.

So, the scripts turn around time is 30 seconds. However, it assumes that a server crash will result in a Dream Daemon crash, and seems to be relying on the Dream Daemon process either hanging or crashing in order to detect the failure.

So now question time for Vactor: Does one of our server crashes result in a Dream Daemon crash or hang?

If it is, then the script should work. Otherwise, the script isn't making the right sort of check, and we need to figure out a way to more directly ping the server for a response.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18217 on: August 13, 2014, 04:43:10 am »

If you can't connect to the server, DD has crashed. There are no other reasons for DD to refuse connections that I know of.

Of course, there could be an issue somewhere further up the line. Internet connection not working properly, something like that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18218 on: August 13, 2014, 05:02:02 am »

Yeah, the question is *how* does it crash. I don't know, maybe someone else does?

It could crash 'cleanly', which would mean DD kills the server, closes the connections, and then sits there with an error log. In this case, DD itself never hangs or crashes, its still open, happily informing Vactor that the server has stopped for some reason. The script won't work if this is how the server is crashing. The script would handle anything more catastrophic.

And yeah, it could be a general net failure, but then it should just sort of come back up without Vactor, unless it won't dynamically re-hook into the BYOND hub and has to reboot just so it can do that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18219 on: August 13, 2014, 07:03:36 am »

i just said it, I have never seen or heard of DD crashing "cleanly". If it encounters an issue that it can't get over it crashes, simple as that.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #18220 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:12 am »

So, the scripts turn around time is 30 seconds. However, it assumes that a server crash will result in a Dream Daemon crash, and seems to be relying on the Dream Daemon process either hanging or crashing in order to detect the failure.

So now question time for Vactor: Does one of our server crashes result in a Dream Daemon crash or hang?

Every once in awhile a crash will be because of too many errors, or a recursive loop in the code, which DD will shut down the server on its own, and remain running.  (we've had a few of these lately, I think it might be from cargo trains, not sure).

However, most of the time it crashes the machine, causing a restart, which hangs during bootup as the SSD the OS is on isn't found during the POST until I do a full power down/power up.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18221 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52:00 am »

Guess I was wrong :V

(Not like DD handles infinite recursion/loops very consistently, sometimes they'll cause a crash, sometimes they wont)

Vakothu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18222 on: August 13, 2014, 01:51:15 pm »

Hmm, if the entire machine crashes, the auto-restart script won't actually help.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:54:32 pm by Vakothu »

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18223 on: August 13, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »

Well, we can easily add the script to the machines list of things to start on boot, which will work since the script starts by booting a copy of the server, but that doesn't help if the machine can't restart on its own.

Vakothu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18224 on: August 13, 2014, 01:55:01 pm »

Aye, it doesn't seem like there'll be any easy way to stop the server crashing.  Unless, you know, we know exactly what causes it to crash, and fix that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:11:09 pm by Vakothu »
Pages: 1 ... 1213 1214 [1215] 1216 1217 ... 1654