Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117770 times)

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #17280 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:51 pm »

It supposedly works by having superheated gasses run through it like a standard engine.
Crack-a-lack-a

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17281 on: June 09, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »

There a new engine or something call r.u.s.t and it come in boxes but i cant figure out how to assemble them

It's actually a few years old. I didn't know you could get the equipment in-game besides admin spawn though. As HissinhWalnuts said, it's like a different version of the thermal engine. You need to power the RUST shards with emitters or something along those lines, while running a shitton of different gasses through the heating coils. I used to know how to do it, but I haven't done it in about a year.

I'll have to check that out now.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17282 on: June 09, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »

Sorry to just jump in like this, but I've found a lot of people talking about this and I'd love to get involved with a proper online community game thing.
However, I've had enough of wacky/crazy games right now, so can this be played 'seriously'?

If so, where's the best place to do that?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17283 on: June 09, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »

Sorry to just jump in like this, but I've found a lot of people talking about this and I'd love to get involved with a proper online community game thing.
However, I've had enough of wacky/crazy games right now, so can this be played 'seriously'?

If so, where's the best place to do that?

This can be played seriously, and most often is on our server. Here is as good a place to start as any, we're more serious than many. If you're looking for super serious "heavy RP" with little happening, then Baystation 12 is the place to go. In terms of seriousness and heavy RP, it's Baystation 12 and Hypatia, but that's only if you're willing to follow all of their roleplay rules to the letter. They're stricter than most in that regard, but definitely more serious than most. I think we (Urist McStation) hit a good middle ground between RP and gameplay.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17284 on: June 09, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »

I have a half-way sane idea for a map.

Namely, a station that "evolves", starts basic and gets added to. Old areas change purpose or get transformed totally...
I have a concept design, I just need to map now...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17285 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:56 pm »

This can be played seriously, and most often is on our server. Here is as good a place to start as any, we're more serious than many. If you're looking for super serious "heavy RP" with little happening, then Baystation 12 is the place to go. In terms of seriousness and heavy RP, it's Baystation 12 and Hypatia, but that's only if you're willing to follow all of their roleplay rules to the letter. They're stricter than most in that regard, but definitely more serious than most. I think we (Urist McStation) hit a good middle ground between RP and gameplay.
Thanks for that informative answer, I'll look into those.
Is there a steep learning curve with it (as in, will I disrupt Baystation 12/Hypatia if I go in as a newb) or is it something that can just be picked up?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17286 on: June 09, 2014, 03:11:26 pm »

Is there a steep learning curve with it (as in, will I disrupt Baystation 12/Hypatia if I go in as a newb) or is it something that can just be picked up?

It is quite steep, but no steeper than DF's. You wouldn't disrupt if you joined as a newb, just keep the wiki open in a tab, and let people know in OOC that you're a new player. There's some really good beginners guides on the wikis. I'd recommend starting at BS12's forum, as this thread is for discussion of the UristMcstation server. Other SS13 threads have had a tendency to get locked, so we generally steer clear of discussing other servers.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17287 on: June 09, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »

It is quite steep, but no steeper than DF's. You wouldn't disrupt if you joined as a newb, just keep the wiki open in a tab, and let people know in OOC that you're a new player. There's some really good beginners guides on the wikis. I'd recommend starting at BS12's forum, as this thread is for discussion of the UristMcstation server. Other SS13 threads have had a tendency to get locked, so we generally steer clear of discussing other servers.
For generally any server you go on, wiki is the way to go. I'l avoid discussing other servers, but I can break down the types here. There are a plethora of different code bases, on servers run by different groups. Some servers run the same code as the other, but generally 1 coder group codes for that code base and puts it on github? (Will need an actual coder to confirm) for other servers to pull from. Different servers have different rules, and run different code bases.  For example, Glloyd mentioned Bay and Hypatia. If I remember correctly, they both run Baycode, barring the minor changes that each server can make. I generally spew out a lot of verbal diarrhea, but long story short what you find on one server such as a feature may not be on the next. 

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17288 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »

The other thing is if you are good at rping, rping a person who cant do much and other people will likely help you, just dont pick head jobs or things like that. Most of the time if you join at the start someone will teach you if you ask them nicely. It depend on the situation though, if the station is under attack or there like alien aboard it might not be the best time
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17289 on: June 09, 2014, 08:32:58 pm »

in other news im really tired of stungloves and how ballsy it makes people to get their valids on. Can we get rid of them as we have improvised weapons like stunprods now?

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17290 on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »

They are also invisible to examines.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17291 on: June 09, 2014, 09:40:01 pm »

Why are people getting their valids on? Dont we have the "You need a really, really good reason to kill" thing going on?
And the "most people dont now the baddies" thing?

Thats confusing...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17292 on: June 09, 2014, 10:35:21 pm »

Why are people getting their valids on? Dont we have the "You need a really, really good reason to kill" thing going on?

Thats confusing...

To be honest I was being really overt that round and this has been the third time I have been stungloved as a traitor, but really that is besides the point. What I'm trying to say is that we have improvised weapons and that there's a fair amount of people who don't like them. I personaly never used them except one time when the captain was being a dumbass/greifer and was breaking down the window to the supermatter core because he "wanted to run into it". /tg removed stungloves for a good reason I feel and even bay is discussing importing improvised weapons to replace stungloves. Finally I'm just tired of having my plans ruined by some guy fearlessly saxxing around up to me despite me being armed and him injured and stungloving me because he knows all he needs is one hit while I need multiple and also the fact that its impossiable to know if those gloves are stungloves or not and makes me really tempted to just execute anyone wearing gloves.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:38:13 pm by Liction »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17293 on: June 09, 2014, 11:49:10 pm »

Thats confusing...

To be honest I was being really overt that round and this has been the third time I have been stungloved as a traitor, but really that is besides the point. What I'm trying to say is that we have improvised weapons and that there's a fair amount of people who don't like them. I personaly never used them except one time when the captain was being a dumbass/greifer and was breaking down the window to the supermatter core because he "wanted to run into it". /tg removed stungloves for a good reason I feel and even bay is discussing importing improvised weapons to replace stungloves. Finally I'm just tired of having my plans ruined by some guy fearlessly saxxing around up to me despite me being armed and him injured and stungloving me because he knows all he needs is one hit while I need multiple and also the fact that its impossiable to know if those gloves are stungloves or not and makes me really tempted to just execute anyone wearing gloves.

They're removed in the latest update, which should be live tomorrow or so. I just need to finish working out merge conflicts with BS12.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17294 on: June 10, 2014, 04:17:58 am »

Codebases are managed by a group of maintainers. By managing I mean: reviewing, accepting and perhaps denying pull requests. Code is made by everyone, not just maintainers, maintainers are just the ones that decide whether code makes it in or not. The merged code is then in a Git repo that anyone can pull from.

SS13's learning curve is quite odd. There's a few basics you have to learn first (inventory management, what things look like), but before you even get to that you have to get to terms with the interface, which is... Special. The combination of a full HTML text window and shitty tile-based graphics takes some getting used to. After that it's rather smooth and you just have to figure out how to play specific jobs, which has a fairly standard learning curve.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:21:19 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1654