Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117498 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #14670 on: March 06, 2014, 12:45:12 am »

Alt server (byond://kyengineer.dyndns.org:56789) is functional.
Also I barely remember how things work in this game so I'm going to just ghost.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:55 am »

That's not how you learn. Play the damn game. Participate.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: March 06, 2014, 12:56:55 am »

Be a doctor and accidentally malpractice someone to death trying to remove their appendix. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:17 am »

That's usually what I do, I'm just not sure if I have the time at this moment, though, and it's less awkward to leave when you're not part of the game.

Also I'm likely doing something wrong because in the server I'm on everyone's dead.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:48 am »

Playing the game is the best way to learn, hands on experience gives you a feel for the server, controls and player interaction.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:00 am »

server is back up
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: March 06, 2014, 08:30:12 am »

That's usually what I do, I'm just not sure if I have the time at this moment, though, and it's less awkward to leave when you're not part of the game.

Also I'm likely doing something wrong because in the server I'm on everyone's dead.
Follow someone more experience around to learn how to do things like set up the engine and surgically remove brains.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: March 06, 2014, 10:24:25 am »

/tg/ is deading

/tg/ has a giantass clusterfuck every year, whether it's 2boogyman or coderbus. It'll be fine unless Erro escalates it further. As Inti said I think,

"Basil has 40 people on, Sybil has 55 people on, Terry has 12 people on. The byond listing's show a max of 40 on the most populated server."

/TG/ isn't dying any time soon.

I presume the headmin nuking boards is bad right?

Is it too late to wish people weren't such huge dicks and made the previous head quit.

Fucking hell.

Erro is an admin that runs the forums.

I'm not sure he is even an admin, just a coder who was kind enough to host and fund the website.
That said I feel bad for him, hes been hated as long as I have been playing and gets a load of shit from certain shitlords like Aran and snapped.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: March 06, 2014, 10:38:41 am »

Yeah, that I can agree with, but fucking hell, that saying about not doing something you'll regret applies just as much in this situation than in any other.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:50 am »

I'd be willing to try and merge /tg/ somewhat regularily if Glloyd gives me acces to the repo.

Ahem:
Erro is hardly even a coder.
Here's Rock's version of the story:
<[Rock]> I've been around for most of it.
<[Rock]> Erro disrespected muskets a lot.
<[Rock]> Did whatever he wanted.
<[Rock]> Was pushing hard to become head coder.
<[Rock]> I join the project.
<[Rock]> The bahvior continues.
<[Rock]> Carn joins the project 6 months after I.
<Jalleo> so really I should ask muskets for the start of it?
<[Rock]> They argue.
<[Rock]> No.
<[Rock]> Carn and Erro argue a lot.
<[Rock]> Erro takes it out on muskets and Carn.
<[Rock]> Erro reverts peoples code without asking.
<[Rock]> (Abused his power as a committed on SVN)
<[Rock]> muskets gets tired of his shit when we move to github and just outright bans him.
<[Rock]> He isn't a maintainer.
<[Rock]> He requests maintainer status.
<[Rock]> He is denied.
<[Rock]> He tries once again.
<[Rock]> Denied.
<[Rock]> He threatens the administration.
<[Rock]> He gets a honorary title.
<[Rock]> Fast forward to now.
<[Rock]> AKA you know the rest.
<Jalleo> not much really until aran got bant for the honk stuff
<[Rock]> The very first thing erro asked me to do was to dismantle #coderbus and to create a new channel.
<[Rock]> The FIRST THING when I became head coder.
<Jalleo> really why dismantle #coderbus
<[Rock]> He told me to get RID of mustets and numbers.
<[Rock]> Muskets owns the channel.
<[Rock]> She does a fine job.
<Jalleo> she does nothing and just keeps it running really
Erro got a LOT of shit, but he's not the pure and innocent victim here.

Goofball has made a hypothetical list of coders for a closed-source version of tgstation, but the code is licensed under the GNU GPL license:
When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things.
So he can't. Then again that's entirely hypothetical.

Jalleo is going to host coderforums with a better development process sometime soon.

And honestly, I'm sort of happy that all the coder boards were deleted. The players are a bunch of spoiled ungrateful smartasses that don't like ANY changes and just fucking moan and moan about how fucking terrible the coders are and boo fucking hoo. Their rants about how we are all terrible annoy the fuck out of me.

Remember that SoS and Sleepingpills are still the server hosts, so nothing changes except for the fact that all the oldfags (best term there is for it) will have to go to a different forum to complain that their favorite exploit got fixed.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:18 am »

Gah. I feel guilty for changing my viewpoint multiple times, but goddambit this fence padded with new information is comfy.

Translation: Sorry for changing my position frequently, I prefer to stay in a neutral position.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:50 pm »

THREAD RULES:
  • No discussion of admin-ing style of other servers.
  • No personal attacks.
  • No ban discussion, except as directly related to Urist McStation.  Please discuss bans of other servers somewhere else; the bruised feelings tend to get the general discussion thread locked.
Just a friendly reminder, guys. I'd love to add my two cents, but this is a touchy subject.

So, I was going to hop back on the other day, but I kind of wussied out. I'm curious to know though, are any of the GMs still running events?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:57 pm »

And honestly, I'm sort of happy that all the coder boards were deleted. The players are a bunch of spoiled ungrateful smartasses that don't like ANY changes and just fucking moan and moan about how fucking terrible the coders are and boo fucking hoo. Their rants about how we are all terrible annoy the fuck out of me.

That said, I personally am not looking forward to some of the upcoming changes that are getting a lot of flak on the forums. Globally reducing move speed for everyone in particular seems quite over-the-top. That's going to add more tedium to moving around especially if you're in a hardsuit/hungry/injured/cold/whatever and AFAIK it was added to combat saxing.
This seems like a bad approach because it's a change that will negatively impact most characters every round, in order to fix a problem that only affects a minority. After all, most characters won't engage in combat at all in any given round and when they do it will often be the sort that starts and ends with a single surprise attack, so not where people dodging taser shots will be an issue.

I agree that trying to arrest someone who keeps dodging is a huge PITA, but it's surely possible to come up with a solution to a combat issue that only applies during combat and doesn't affect movement all the time for everyone.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: March 06, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »

Outrunning taser bolts was retarded and GOOD RIDDANCE.
It was literally the sole fucking solution for saxxing. Saxxing was caused solely by the insane movement speed, and only reducing the movement speed fixes it.
Also, hyperzine actually has a use now!

Slowdown by other effects can be reduced.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: March 06, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »

That said, I personally am not looking forward to some of the upcoming changes that are getting a lot of flak on the forums. Globally reducing move speed for everyone in particular seems quite over-the-top. That's going to add more tedium to moving around especially if you're in a hardsuit/hungry/injured/cold/whatever and AFAIK it was added to combat saxing.
This seems like a bad approach because it's a change that will negatively impact most characters every round, in order to fix a problem that only affects a minority. After all, most characters won't engage in combat at all in any given round and when they do it will often be the sort that starts and ends with a single surprise attack, so not where people dodging taser shots will be an issue.

I agree that trying to arrest someone who keeps dodging is a huge PITA, but it's surely possible to come up with a solution to a combat issue that only applies during combat and doesn't affect movement all the time for everyone.

Plus, BS12 has reduced movement speed in comparison to /tg/ and it is not a problem. Try using the new Walk speed on our server, too. It's actually nice and smooth, and less affected by lag.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1654