Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2120934 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #11115 on: October 27, 2013, 09:48:12 am »

The logic of the Three Laws in Asimov's books isn't particularly easy to define outright, as most of his whole Robot sequence was intended as an exploration of what those seemingly-simple three laws could actually allow/imply - which would seem to indicate that there's isn't necessarily a 'correct' interpretation of how the laws would cause an AI to act.

On the whole 'doing a small bit of harm to prevent a larger bit of harm' logic, it's definitely not clear cut:

But, as others have implied, gameplay and enjoyment might be greater considerations anyway.  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:49 am »

But the AI(Assuming it is Asimov) isn't allowed to cause any harm at all, even if causing harm can prevent greater harm.
Honestly, I think it needs a bit of flexibility with that. The AI is weak enough as it is.
Well, its not like hostage situations are particulary annoying for the AI anyway. It can afterall just turn off the radios in its chamber, therefore not knowing what the hostage taker is saying, which means the AI doesn't know if he is going to cause harm to the hostage if the AI doesn't do so and so.

This solution bumps up against the "or through inaction" clause of the law, though.

Right here. Nail on the head.

Letting someone go who might, hell gives you good reason to believe he will, cause more harm is inaction. At that point its attempting to minimize the amount of harm. If its trying to stop all harm possible then the A.I. would just never let anyone out of the damn dorms. Shocking a hostage-taker seems like a reasonable route to take if you believe he has a good chance of inflicting greater harm on other humans.

As for orders. I believe in a Issac short story (If anyone knows which one, I would appreciate the title. I want to say 'Evidence', but I am not sure if that is right.) It was established that figures of authority hold a higher priority for the follow through of orders.

Ill admit, I only play on TG but generally I find playing Asimov as literally as possible to be the most fun, I will follow every order given that doesnt conflict. As for shocking the door, I personally think that should be a silicon jobban.

For me my biggest peeve with AI's are those that bolt things like EVA because Hurr Durr Spacesuits are harmful to humans Burr.

I would have just followed the hostage takers orders and kept security in the loop.

We had a game a few months back where an A.I. (non-traitor or malf) decided to bolt every door to the armory and security office because they would cause harm while a traitor was running around after killing someone(s?). One of the admins on at the time gave him a warning about it in OOC. So typically an obnoxious A.I. player will be warned or at least checked on this server. I think it is likely that the A.I. you dealt with had a malfunctioning law that caused him to at as if spacesuits were harmful to humans and had to be barred. I actually malfunctioned once and got the Law "Computing is harmful to humans". That was so very much fun.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11117 on: October 27, 2013, 10:09:14 am »

No its just one of those things that used to be a regular occurence on TG and still somewhat common for AI's to bolt down EVA, Tech Storage and the teleporter.
I find its much more fun for an AI to follow every request from every crew member where its not an obvious breach.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11118 on: October 27, 2013, 10:17:17 am »

IMO, the policy should be that AI has free rein in interpreting the laws as either 'ABSOLUTELY NEVER LET ANY HUMAN HARM' by-the-book AI or 'Minimize human harm in any way possible' AI. It gives them some flexibility instead of forcing them into One True Arpee To Rule Them All.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: October 27, 2013, 10:18:03 am »

If I hadn't been personally involved (I was the HoS/hostage taker), I would have backed BD's decision. In hindsight, I don't think it was entirely unreasonable.

What is frustrating, though, is going out of my way as a traitor to cause chaos and take a risk like holding someone hostage (especially in an AI round, which cuts my chances of escape), and then be caught because the AI went for the "through inaction" subclause despite the fact that to its knowledge I had not killed or seriously harmed anyone, after I had repeatedly stated that my intent was to leave free and alive without killing anyone, and after I had gone out of my way several times to not follow through on ultimatums (because BD was RPing a conflict breakdown and reboot rather than just being a dick and ignoring the laws).

Frankly, it's at least partially my fault for not putting on insulated gloves before checking the door. I had them, knew that it was a possibility, and knew that the AI had told the other crew to back away from the doors. But I decided to be trusting, and it bit me on the ass. Funny thing was, I pulled the Sith traitor box, so I could've gone balls-out murderboner, but I decided to do something less boring and self-indulgent. :/

It was justified, from BD's perspective. Sort of a dick move from mine, but not the sort of thing I would have ahelped over. It'd be rather hypocritical of me to get on him for using the "through inaction" clause when I've always been a big proponent of AIs using the flexibility in Law 1 to minimize harm, rather than blindly NO HARM NO HARM-ing based on the situation of the moment. I tried to manipulate the AI, wasn't cautious enough, and paid the price for it.

What I /do/ have an issue with was when you recalled the shuttle the first time, despite me being very clear that I would kill him if you did. With a lot of people, that would have been a dead hostage right there, and a clear violation of the laws.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11120 on: October 27, 2013, 10:18:29 am »

No its just one of those things that used to be a regular occurence on TG and still somewhat common for AI's to bolt down EVA, Tech Storage and the teleporter.
I find its much more fun for an AI to follow every request from every crew member where its not an obvious breach.

ais who interpret "open door" as "open door and leave it open because i didn't tell you to close it" for nanotrasen ceo

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: October 27, 2013, 10:25:31 am »

So how many of you guys are going to be online for All Hallows' Evening?

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: October 27, 2013, 10:29:14 am »

So how many of you guys are going to be online for All Hallows' Evening?
Maybe me.
Anyways, anyone wanna join now?
I'm on kinda.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: October 27, 2013, 10:35:03 am »

If I hadn't been personally involved (I was the HoS/hostage taker), I would have backed BD's decision. In hindsight, I don't think it was entirely unreasonable.

What is frustrating, though, is going out of my way as a traitor to cause chaos and take a risk like holding someone hostage (especially in an AI round, which cuts my chances of escape), and then be caught because the AI went for the "through inaction" subclause despite the fact that to its knowledge I had not killed or seriously harmed anyone, after I had repeatedly stated that my intent was to leave free and alive without killing anyone, and after I had gone out of my way several times to not follow through on ultimatums (because BD was RPing a conflict breakdown and reboot rather than just being a dick and ignoring the laws).

Frankly, it's at least partially my fault for not putting on insulated gloves before checking the door. I had them, knew that it was a possibility, and knew that the AI had told the other crew to back away from the doors. But I decided to be trusting, and it bit me on the ass. Funny thing was, I pulled the Sith traitor box, so I could've gone balls-out murderboner, but I decided to do something less boring and self-indulgent. :/

It was justified, from BD's perspective. Sort of a dick move from mine, but not the sort of thing I would have ahelped over. It'd be rather hypocritical of me to get on him for using the "through inaction" clause when I've always been a big proponent of AIs using the flexibility in Law 1 to minimize harm, rather than blindly NO HARM NO HARM-ing based on the situation of the moment. I tried to manipulate the AI, wasn't cautious enough, and paid the price for it.

What I /do/ have an issue with was when you recalled the shuttle the first time, despite me being very clear that I would kill him if you did. With a lot of people, that would have been a dead hostage right there, and a clear violation of the laws.

On TG code, AI's cannot recall the shuttle.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: October 27, 2013, 10:47:37 am »

All Hallows? Is this some event people refuse to tell me?  :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: October 27, 2013, 10:56:11 am »

Oh right, I finally realized where do I recognize you from. TG. Duh. Well, that and your nick being a name of a character in Priest.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11126 on: October 27, 2013, 11:16:51 am »

All Hallows Eve or, as it is commonly known, Halloween is the time when admins have to come up with something spooooooky, lest they be mocked by their player base.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: October 27, 2013, 11:24:48 am »

All Hallows Eve or, as it is commonly known, Halloween is the time when admins have to come up with something spooooooky, lest they be mocked by their player base.
My family calls it All Hallows Eve so I just gave in. Also I did something.
https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/1664

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: October 27, 2013, 11:31:12 am »

I think I may not have stated my opinion very clearly.
Hostage situations are cool.
If an AI is always going to go "hurr durr no2 and shocked doors" if somebody tries to do a hostage situation, there will be no hostage situations and more parapen+c4 and the likes.

E:
Need moar peeps on da server.

Also ass-copying got merged, so you know what to do next time the server updates.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:50:56 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: October 27, 2013, 11:58:18 am »

Oh right, I finally realized where do I recognize you from. TG. Duh. Well, that and your nick being a name of a character in Priest.

Trevor Donklestoop reporting, also your the first person to ever comment on that reference in about eight years of using it.
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1654