Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1654

Author Topic: Space Station 13: Urist McStation  (Read 2117566 times)

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: Urist McStation
« Reply #10785 on: October 16, 2013, 03:35:17 pm »

Guess whose coming to the server? Skeleo Jonson! Telling you all your boney jokes till All Hallows' Evening! Such as, Why did the skeleton cross the road? To get to the other grave!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: October 16, 2013, 03:36:07 pm »

1) When the singularity is up and running, at which point should it be made stable (i.e. Particle Accelerator turned back to zero but left with power on)?  I've been following the /tg/station guide here, and have therefore been stopping when the singularity is 'stage 3' (see image below), but I want to check that that's the right time to dial it back - not earlier or later.
Technically, you can turn down the PA strength to 0 as soon as the singularity reaches stage 2 (red). A stage 2 singularity is enough to power the three engineering SMES at max input, and it will eventually reach stage 3 with the 0 strength PA left turned on.

2) SMES setup.  My understanding is that the Input value is the minimum input - i.e. the SMES in question will charge if and only if it is receiving an amount of power greater than that value.  Setting higher values makes the SMES try to draw more power, and so will charge faster, but only if there is power available.  The output value is self explanatory.

I've noticed that the SMESes' charging is rather...unstable immediately after the singularity goes online.  I assume this is because if all three of them are on max input (200k) then they're all trying to draw that amount...and they can't all get it at once.  This usually seems to result in one of the SMESes being favoured over the others and getting up to full charge, while at least one of the others doesn't get enough juice and so fails to charge at all.  That SMES then drains, so its output flicks off, so a greater burden is put on the remaining ones.

Am I right in thinking that, early on (when the SMESes are relatively low on stored power), it makes sense to try and keep the inputs slightly lower and balanced, so that they can all charge equally rather than one hogging all the juice?  Or does it not work that way?  I'm aware the guide I linked above suggests 200k input and 140k-160k output for each (main) SMES, but it doesn't go into detail as to why.
Power generation is entirely dependent on the amount of plasma in the tanks in the radiation collectors. Plasma tanks from the dispenser have barely 300 kPa of plasma in them, which is enough for a 100k input/70k output configuration, but not for a 200k/140k one. So yes, your assumptions were correct.

You have to fill the tanks with the plasma canister from engineering secure storage to have a fully functional engine.
If you have no access to the secure storage and nobody to open it for you, a handy way to get in is to power down temporarily the room by removing the power cell from the APC, to allow you to crowbar open the blast doors. Put the cell back in, resume your work.
Do this only if you haven't set up the engine already, or you'll release the singularity.

Solars and their SMESes are, I'm aware, a different animal, and I'm comfortable with them.
You may already know this, but just in case: you can wire the solars directly to the power grid to have them output immediately any power they're generating, without having to wait for their SMES to charge up. This is especially useful if you're the only engineer aboard.

Edit: 'Warning - while you were typing 11 new replies have been posted.' Damn...

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: October 16, 2013, 03:39:22 pm »

You have to fill the tanks with the plasma canister from engineering secure storage to have a fully functional engine.
If you have no access to the secure storage and nobody to open it for you, a handy way to get in is to power down temporarily the room by removing the power cell from the APC, to allow you to crowbar open the blast doors. Put the cell back in, resume your work.
Do this only if you haven't set up the engine already, or you'll release the singularity.

I honestly hadn't thought of getting into the secure storage like that - genius, thank you!  :D  Will be handy the next time I'm the only engineer and I don't have access.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: October 16, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »

Guess whose coming to the server? Skeleo Jonson! Telling you all your boney jokes till All Hallows' Evening! Such as, Why did the skeleton cross the road? To get to the other grave!
Pageloss...

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: October 16, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »

I remember a few rounds where electrocution has barely hurt...

and then rounds where it was instant red. Gotta watch those engies.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: October 16, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

1: What is WGW
Really I would like to know.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: October 16, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Any self respecting clown can tell you.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: October 16, 2013, 03:58:41 pm »

http://wiki.ss13.eu/index.php/Woody%27s_Got_Wood

View at your own risk, and don't repeat what you see there. You have been warned.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:24 pm »

http://wiki.ss13.eu/index.php/Woody%27s_Got_Wood

View at your own risk, and don't repeat what you see there. You have been warned.
Virology has it's own air and disposals loops, and an airlock, and reinforced walls all around, and a decent living area.
CMO could totally team up with the librarian to give him a safe reading environment.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10794 on: October 16, 2013, 05:27:53 pm »

Always a good way to contain someone annoying without killing them and getting admins annoyed.

Disarm and knock down your attacker/offending party, or at least in the situation with the brig, take their headset. Stuff them into a locker, and wrap the locker in wrapping paper or packaging material (it's as good as locking it; use a personal locker encoded to your ID even). Stuff that locker into another locker and close it (now that brown/green&red box draws less attention than the person screaming inside it), and drag that to a spot nobody can find it (eg-maintainence).

If they suffocate, shit happens. For added fun, bug Chem for some mindbreaker, and large doses of it, KO the annoying guy, and force-feed them a pill-bottle's worth before stuffing them in there again without any light.

EDIT:
Not unless they comply, then you can always break them out while they're losing their minds, and turn them in to be taken care of by security. Keep it gift-wrapped as a gift to security. It'll keep them contained so they can handle it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:32:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: October 16, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »

That's still permanently taking someone out of the round.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: October 16, 2013, 05:36:07 pm »

They'll suffocate and die by then.
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10797 on: October 16, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »

Then have a syringe gun and 5u of chloral hydrate on hand when you bust them out before they suffocate. Or while they're out cold (but still revivable), remove everything from them, and keep them restrained somewhere, and have your fun if you have a bunch of chloral hydrate syringes on hand. Threaten to overdose them if they try to kill you again.

EDIT:
Or you can always do above, but instead, leave a note behind explaining the situation before anyone tries to help them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:40:46 pm by Itnetlolor »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: October 16, 2013, 06:08:59 pm »

If you take someone out of the round without any chance of getting back in, that's pretty shitty. Just saying. This includes the aforementioned locker-matryushka doll, anesthetic forever, or straitjacket + permabrig 4noraisin.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: October 16, 2013, 06:25:43 pm »

Pulling crap like that is easily a use for adminPM.
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1654