Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 40452 times)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoullights - Zombie Elephants, Cruor and Silk [Succession]
« Reply #360 on: April 07, 2013, 10:59:19 am »

Thank you. However, uhm, the save doesn't seem to work properly. I remember reading something about the game being slightly modded though (pearls?), that could be the cause of the problem. Can someone help me?
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 07, 2013, 11:08:25 am »

I think I can help you if you describe the problem in more detail. Is it a graphics glitch or will it not run at all?

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 07, 2013, 11:34:19 am »

Not at all. The game crashes when I load the save.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2013, 11:57:07 am »

I guess I was wrong because I'm stumped. :P

I downloaded a new Windows version of DF, downloaded the save file, extracted it into the save folder and it loaded without crashing, so the mods can't be the sole problem here. Are you running the Windows version? Is your DF version .34.11? Do you have compressed saves set to yes?

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 07, 2013, 02:49:21 pm »

Yes, yes and yes. I tried downloading everything a new, still not working. I'm going to try it out on a different machine sometime.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 07, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »

Well a quick update, so far things are going ok, only 1 or 2 deaths, and those are safely contained or in the depths contained, a new defensive wall to help keep any undead breakout contained is also almost finished, with enough cage traps to contain a minor - moderate breakout. I THINK we should be ok as long as theres not a tantrum spiral ...

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:29 am »

Good start then. This fort really, really needs some peace and time for construction and repairs. If there is risk of a tantrum spiral, you can do what I did, namely put all dwarf beds and multi-designate overlapping bedrooms in one room with a trap containing 10 spiked silver balls. Instant happiness-generating royal bedrooms for everyone. Making waterfalls and mist is an easy possibility too, so easy people have been doing it without even trying. :P

@Yuli, I uploaded another save for you, just in case the previous one was somehow corrupted. Here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7550

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 08, 2013, 08:14:30 am »

Ya a waterfall for the new great hall is in the plans, I mean there's a few dwarves who are ok, but the vast majority are miserable or unhappy, so I'm HOPING that we have at least 10 who are ok, oh, I grew up too :p I'm no longer a child! But ya, hopes for a waterfall are in the works, and one that actually can be shut off too! Scandilous! Oh and before I shut it off again , a zombie slaughtered like 3 dwarves in the food room, I'm thinking that , a I need to move that to a more secure location, and b, that we need more traps :p but with people breaking stuff all over its a full time job, debates rage between taking a few dwarves who actually have no friends and then sending an "expidition" down into the depths to "clear" it of zombies, could be a !!fun!! Surprise for the future overseer if they ever go to the caverns :p but I think ill just continue to let them go insane one by one and locking them away in cages, probably for the best, and individual bedrooms have started so they can all have slept in a bedroom now, though in a massive wood crunch still as noone wants to chop trees

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 08, 2013, 10:26:43 am »

Where are we at, with our zombie cousins? Are we still planning to give them their own accomodations?

I have had additional ideas, but not sure if that's the plan :)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 08, 2013, 11:14:57 am »

Is a military in the works?
Because we really need a military.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19:57 am »

Uhhh army, yes, we have uhhh troops, not sure how many are alive, but I occationally see someone spar :p I need to reequip them with hammers

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16:19 pm »

I finally got the save working today. Thanks for taking your time to help me out Halfling, interesting fortress design you got there.
First thing I did was flooding everything. ::)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 08, 2013, 01:48:32 pm »

I finally got the save working today. Thanks for taking your time to help me out Halfling, interesting fortress design you got there.

Heh, thanks. Always happy to help. I like sprawling underground villages and large caverns, underground forests and towers... some is color-coded, like the kennels (coded by trapper's favorite material/color), and a lot is where I just felt like putting it at the time, hence many levels have the appearance of a heap of workshops and scrap in a large cavern. Used to build mathematically optimized fortresses with the aesthetics of a borg cube in previous versions, but that got so boring. Designations of dwarves carry some information about them. Wood burner+/Trained wood burner = wood burner whose highest crafting skill is weaponsmithing, so as to produce artifact weapons in case of mood. The goal is to reach that for all dwarves working non-moodable jobs, except those who like shields, who get armorsmithing instead. We-Hauler = weak hauler (a priority to get him some other job like wood burning), C-Hauler = creative hauler (when I need a new craftsdwarf, it may be this guy). Hauler in general means trained in weaponsmithing and hence a "professional" hauler needing no more training, those who aren't are "hauler trainee" or "hauler to be trained".

I guess at this point it wouldn't really be Ghoullights without the yearly floods, would it. :P

If you have the time, would be great if you could confirm that indeed, hauling and stuffing the zombie dragon in a cage or pitting him through a hatch does not cause problems, unlike what the wiki seems to be saying.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2013, 01:50:36 pm »

Heh, thanks. Always happy to help. I like sprawling underground villages and large caverns, underground forests and towers... some is color-coded, like the kennels (coded by trapper's favorite material), and a lot is where I just felt like putting it at the time, hence many levels have the appearance of a heap of workshops and scrap in a large cavern. Used to build mathematically optimized fortresses with the aesthetics of a borg cube in previous versions, but that got so boring. Designations of dwarves carry some information about them. Wood burner+/Trained wood burner = wood burner whose highest crafting skill is weaponsmithing, so as to produce artifacts in case of mood. The goal is to reach that for all dwarves working non-moodable jobs. We-Hauler = weak hauler (a priority to get him some other job like wood burning), C-Hauler = creative hauler (when I need a new craftsdwarf, it may be this guy). Hauler in general means trained in weaponsmithing and hence a "professional" hauler needing no more training, those who aren't are "hauler trainee" or "hauler to be trained".

I guess at this point it wouldn't really be Ghoullights without the yearly floods, would it. :P

If you have the time, would be great if you could confirm that indeed, hauling and stuffing the zombie dragon in a cage or pitting him through a hatch does not cause problems, unlike what the wiki seems to be saying.

"Welcome to Ghoullights migrants! Enjoy your stay, and don't feed the zombies in those there cages. Hey, can you swim? Not even a dabbling swimmer? Friendly bit of advice, may want to practice by next spring."

Hey... wouldn't a Zombie dragon, on a chain in a pit, make for a perfect target practice for marksdwarves? They can't breathe, and entities can't really do anything on a restraint.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 08, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »

Another overseer, another great flood. Such is life.

A zombie dragon is a great target, but it's also a great dining room centerpiece. Or siege killer, although the elephants really got that - amusing to add a dragon to the mix though. Personally I just eventually stuck him in the undercity square for some reason.

What I'd be really interested in is how marksdwarves do against undead pearls. Now there's some challenging archery targets.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36