Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168119 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.20-Patch1, 14th Jan. 2014)
« Reply #930 on: January 31, 2015, 03:44:08 pm »

That's a definite improvement with the longer neck, but I think it was the hind legs that stood out to me. There's something off about the angle of the left (foreground) one. It's difficult to explain, but take a look at this: http://animalia-life.com/data_images/ungulate/ungulate3.jpg

When the hind leg is brought forward, the metatarsus angles forward due to the backward-facing joint. On the sprite it's not very apparent, though the other hind leg looks to be bending correctly.

Just a suggestion though, it's certainly not vital that it be changed. Just something I noticed. :) Again, very good work on the tileset, it's fantastic to play with!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Rhazak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 31, 2015, 05:21:30 pm »

That's a definite improvement with the longer neck, but I think it was the hind legs that stood out to me. There's something off about the angle of the left (foreground) one. It's difficult to explain, but take a look at this: http://animalia-life.com/data_images/ungulate/ungulate3.jpg

When the hind leg is brought forward, the metatarsus angles forward due to the backward-facing joint. On the sprite it's not very apparent, though the other hind leg looks to be bending correctly.

Just a suggestion though, it's certainly not vital that it be changed. Just something I noticed. :) Again, very good work on the tileset, it's fantastic to play with!
Got it, thanks for elaborating, will try to remake the legs. :d

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.20-Stable, 22nd Dec. 2014)
« Reply #932 on: February 01, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »

Well, had another odd hunting event. I am chasing this elk with 2 spears stuck in it and a limp, and it's still faster then me running but whatever, and I am follow it's tracks only to find that they just stop in the middle of a field. I start searching for tracks and find one more saying it went southeast. I go southeast but see nothing. Ok, it must have switched directions. I walk all over the place around the ends of the tracks, nothing. I have to resort to walking in a spiral pattern outwards starting from the last set of tracks using my tracking ability all the time. Nothing.... There are no other tracks anywhere near the end of the trail. The elk disappeared along with my 2 spears.

So it seems that the part of the game I am most interested in, hunting, is unrealistic and possibly bugged, and all my motivation for playing is gone  :(

Hmm, I thought that at first, but the more I did it, the more it seemed that the only cheating the animals do is magically stopping their bleeding.   But it does seem that they don't just disappear, however they will backtrack over their own tracks sometimes, and certain types of ground are much less likely to show tracks than others. 

Nope. You are underestimating how much I searched for tracks. The surrounding area was plains and I must have searched every tile in a 20-30 tile radius. Gone. It didn't double back either, no mixed tracks. I was close behind it so I don't it would have even been able to get past me without me seeing it.

I've had another instance where 5 tracks (one which I was following) lead into one big mess of tracks, and after examining them for a while, I found 5 tracks going in, and one set of tracks going out. So that would mean that 5 stags ran into that area, then either all disappeared, or ended up congo-lining their way out of the area. The hunting is without a doubt broken. If you need more convincing, then whenever you lose your prey, take some time to study the tracks. Search all over the place and figure out where everything went. You will encounter things that don't make sense.

"Without a doubt broken". That's a bit harsh. The only animals where I know that they give the impression of dissapearing, are the small ones. And that's mainly because they dont leave as much of a trail as an elk or a stag. I'd wager it's either your tracking skill, or you missed something. The system in places neither teleports nor removes the animals. They move around the same way you do. I once hit an elk with a spear and he ran off, because my tracking was pretty bad. I found him almost a day later, after getting back to camp and resting for another trip. He still had the same spear stuck inside him. I'm reasonably sure the system works as intended.

The only thing I dislike about the current system, is that bleeding on animals stops too quickly. Even if you hit your prey with 1-2 arrows or spears, you have a very strict time limit before the animal get's fast enough to outrun you again. It's one of the reasons I aim for the neck or the chest when hunting elk's and stags. You have about the same chance of hitting as you would have going for a leg, and if you actually hit your target, you have a higher chance of causing a lethal wound. I think the best way of hunting is a high sneaking skill and actually getting into meele range. 4 out of 5 times you can kill or lethally wound sleeping animals. And for early game, you can still sneak close enough for a very easy ranged attack.

Me and a friend just released a graphical overhaul mod, it replaces every real-life picture with drawings(including portraits), and lots of new sprites.

Check it out if you want: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=6017
Spoiler: Preview screens (click to show/hide)
---

Thank you so much for making this. I really missed the graphical enhancements in the newer versions. Those character models and forests look AMAZING!
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:58 pm »

This was after trying over and over with characters starting with maxed out weapon, dodging, and other combat skills.  No armor, just starting gear, but the various unarmed villiagers are way more threatening than they should be to an armed master spearman, it's very difficult to land hits on them.  The armed villiagers are usually easier.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 01, 2015, 07:28:10 pm »

"Without a doubt broken". That's a bit harsh. The only animals where I know that they give the impression of dissapearing, are the small ones. And that's mainly because they dont leave as much of a trail as an elk or a stag. I'd wager it's either your tracking skill, or you missed something. The system in places neither teleports nor removes the animals. They move around the same way you do. I once hit an elk with a spear and he ran off, because my tracking was pretty bad. I found him almost a day later, after getting back to camp and resting for another trip. He still had the same spear stuck inside him. I'm reasonably sure the system works as intended.

The only thing I dislike about the current system, is that bleeding on animals stops too quickly. Even if you hit your prey with 1-2 arrows or spears, you have a very strict time limit before the animal get's fast enough to outrun you again. It's one of the reasons I aim for the neck or the chest when hunting elk's and stags. You have about the same chance of hitting as you would have going for a leg, and if you actually hit your target, you have a higher chance of causing a lethal wound. I think the best way of hunting is a high sneaking skill and actually getting into meele range. 4 out of 5 times you can kill or lethally wound sleeping animals. And for early game, you can still sneak close enough for a very easy ranged attack.

Then you have to explain why the 2 events I described failed. "You missed something" does not apply as I deliberately gave up the hunt to scan the area for tracks to figure out why animals get away from me. Unless there is some sort of system in place that makes a large animal suddenly stop leaving tracks, then there is something weird happening to the animals. Surely you must realize that it's not simply a case of "missing something" when 5 stag tracks go into a cluster but only one comes out.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 01, 2015, 07:33:18 pm »

Honestly, I hope that some mechanic gets added that makes active hunting a more attractive option. As it stands, you just have to wander around until you basically walk right into an elk. Some tracking based ability that could point you in the direction you can find some game on the overworld map.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 01, 2015, 07:56:07 pm »

Then you have to explain why the 2 events I described failed. "You missed something" does not apply as I deliberately gave up the hunt to scan the area for tracks to figure out why animals get away from me. Unless there is some sort of system in place that makes a large animal suddenly stop leaving tracks, then there is something weird happening to the animals. Surely you must realize that it's not simply a case of "missing something" when 5 stag tracks go into a cluster but only one comes out.

I'm not saying what you say isnt true. I just never had the issue. Maybe the path finding had them flee into the same direction and the tracks overlapped? Or maybe they actually went quite far without leaving tracks. It's quite possible to almost walk an entire screen without seeing tracks. A lot of animals can cover upwards 6 tiles when they run. Or, of course, you actually ran into a bug. Because I'm sure IF they dissapeared, it shouldnt happen. The animals should operate on the same rules as you do. Either way, I'd hit up the official forum and ask. Dude's making some big changes over the past updates, maybe a bug snuck in on the way.

Honestly, I hope that some mechanic gets added that makes active hunting a more attractive option. As it stands, you just have to wander around until you basically walk right into an elk. Some tracking based ability that could point you in the direction you can find some game on the overworld map.

This is a common complaint. You have to use open terrain and/or mountains for spotting. I run into prey all the time, the issue is actually killing it with a new character, since your skills are so bad. Get up a trap fence early, or get nets if you struggle with active hunting. It needs some time to get used to. Also try to change location frequently. And not just a screen on the overworld map. Once you frequent an area, animals become rare.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

capnpaco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 15, 2015, 10:21:05 am »

It's not really "You missed something", it's more, "Your character missed something."  The higher your tracking skill, the more tracks appear on the zoomed-in map, and the more likely you are to find tracks on the zoomed out map.  If you don't have the skill, you won't find the tracks, whether the animal was there or not.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:32 pm »

Me and a friend just released a graphical overhaul mod, it replaces every real-life picture with drawings(including portraits), and lots of new sprites.

Check it out if you want: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=6017
Spoiler: Preview screens (click to show/hide)
---

Thank God.  I hate those real-life pics so so much.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 15, 2015, 08:24:06 pm »

It's not really "You missed something", it's more, "Your character missed something."  The higher your tracking skill, the more tracks appear on the zoomed-in map, and the more likely you are to find tracks on the zoomed out map.  If you don't have the skill, you won't find the tracks, whether the animal was there or not.

Well putting aside that I enjoy hunting and thus make sure I have high tracking, you are either not realizing how much effort was put into looking for tracks, or are going to have to explain why suddenly 4 stags were able to "not leave tracks" for extremely long distances that I have never encountered before while chasing stags.

I am not missing something obvious.... I have chased many animals for many miles and I know the distance that tracks can be separated from one another. I spent time checking for every track I could to better understand how the AI of the animals behaves, and have found unexplainable results, and I find it bizarre that people think that the game can be without bugs and waive my explanation of how I reached this conclusion.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 15, 2015, 09:28:21 pm »

Maybe a good idea would be to asking on the unrealworld forum to see if those disappearing preys is a game mechanic (weather or nature of ground involved ?), an actual bug, bad luck with the tracking rolls or something else.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 29, 2015, 04:52:15 am »

3.20 Patch 2 was released a bit more than a week ago
http://www.unrealworld.fi/urw_downloads.html

changelog :
http://www.unrealworld.fi/320p2-changelog.txt

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 29, 2015, 10:06:25 pm »

OoooOOOOooh. That's a sexy changelog. Sexy sexy changelog indeed! Time to dust off the game again for the traditional bi-monthly play session. :D
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.20 Patch 2, 17th Mar. 2015)
« Reply #943 on: November 13, 2015, 12:07:31 am »

Testing a bit Wickham's graphical replacement, i created a new character, a woman from the Kaumo culture, and decided to have her living in the Kaumo region (so near those dreaded Njerpez territories) for some added fun.

Decided to take the "Living in the Wild" course to get my character improving a bit before getting around the world and took the fisher scenario to help myself with some nets.

All was going well, built my 1st shelter next to a river and on the morning after a good night of sleep, decided to do a "Hunting Incantation" ritual and check the area for tracks .

Found no such thing, and instead i ran into someone ... a Njerpez.
So early in the game i had very few hope, especially as the area was rather devoid of tree, i couldn't really lose the guy with hiding.
But to my surprise , i managed to move and hide behind the only tree that was close.

The Njerpez moved away and i decided to follow him, after all we're at war i need to know what he's up to (probably no good) , despite my character making more noise than she would want (she's a Kaumo, so she's rather tall and have a big frame, so stealth isn't exactly easy) , i managed to get close to the target and launched my attack with my good spear (i thought i was wielding my kaumo spear but it was only the regular one)

I was discovered and the Njerpez after the surprise started to fight back.
After some exchange, dodging and badly aimed strikes, i decided to throw my woodman axe (to make my character lighter, as weight and getting tired give malus to skills)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It scratched his shoulder and he dropped his shortsword.
From there it was an hilarious display of fighting incompetence from both warriors with miss after misses, the Njerpez using the woodman axe i threw him to fight me.

And then disaster, while dodging i felt on the ground.
Fortunately i wasn't the only incompetent warrior and the Njerpez didn't managed to use that advantage

But a perfect spear thrust in his thorax got him screaming in pain, probably helping me by making him even less accurate, and blam another clumsy me trying to strike and fall on the ground.
This time the Njerpez decided to call it a quit and run for his life instead of trying to continue.

I threw a knife but missed, then i took my good kaumo spear that i just remembered i had and threw it.
The poor Njerpez got badly hit in his shoulder, but he was still running.

Not for long, as i could follow him without running myself, the guy was losing blood, and even briefly got unconscious, but it was only a couple of seconds as he got up quickly

Once he figured out he wouldn't be able to lose me, he turned back to fight.

But he stood no chance, my character made sure there would be 1 less Njerpez warrior to roam the Kaumo lands
Got some good loot, especially the clothes .

That's some good start for such an early character, i didn't expected her to survive the encounter.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:09:21 am by Robsoie »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.20 Patch 2, 17th Mar. 2015)
« Reply #944 on: November 13, 2015, 09:59:25 am »

During one of my last playthroughs, a fairly long time ago, I used to chop up defeated Njerpez warriors and use their roasted bits to trade with unsuspecting villagers for all sorts of necessities. Eating the tasty chops had no negative consequences, either.

Is that still viable or is such brutal misanthropy and cannibalism more frowned upon in recent versions?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76