Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168103 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.16-Beta2, 5th March 2013)
« Reply #390 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:35 am »

This game has an annoying habit with arbitrarily splitting up items into two separate items. That means that I have to waste more cords when smoking items. Is there any way to fix this?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 11, 2013, 01:14:28 am »

Not sure what you mean, the only case it will split stuff is if they are of different type, different quality or different decay level, so multiple fish and cuts from different catch rarely stack. If you are trying to smoke lots of fish, yeah I feel your pain.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2013, 01:25:27 am »

Not sure what you mean, the only case it will split stuff is if they are of different type, different quality or different decay level, so multiple fish and cuts from different catch rarely stack. If you are trying to smoke lots of fish, yeah I feel your pain.
Well they have the exact same quality as far as I can tell, and yeah they are from the same animal.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 11, 2013, 03:36:39 am »

You still don't know that trick, people?

If you're smoking stuff, ALWAYS use one cord. 1 cord = 19 cuts, but 2 cords(at once) = 29 cuts. You can do the math from here. ALWAYS use one cord per smoking... 'job'.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:18 am »

hunting bow or masterwork longbow?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 11, 2013, 11:11:53 am »

longbow > hunting bow anyway, for me anyway, masterwork is even better by giving +10% to your skill so masterwork longbow makes long range shots possible, even on foxes and badgers.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:28 am »

Longbow:
Spoiler: large image (click to show/hide)

Hunting(composite) bow:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Longbow pretty much wins here, although I think you need some strength to use it more effectively. Composite bows, as far as I know, are made in a way that allows weaker archers to put a considerable amount of power in the shot, whilst longbows are capable of piercing plate armor, provided the user is strong enough.

inb4 I know what I'm talking about >.>
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:15:14 pm by FritzPL »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 11, 2013, 12:05:58 pm »

Longbow pretty much wins here, although I think you need some strength to use it more effectively. Composite bows, as far as I know, are made in a way that allows weaker archers to put a considerable amount of power in the shot, whilst longbows are capable of piercing plate armor, provided the user is strong enough.

I think you are confusing composite with compound. Compound bows allow users with weaker strength to still make a powerful shot by using pulleys, a composite bow (usually recurve) allows greater draw strength for a bow of its size, longbows and composite bows are comparable in draw strength. It is the shape which allows a recurve bow to have a higher draw strength then a regular bow shape, and it is the composite material which stop the recurve bow from breaking apart.

It really is personal preference for actual longbow vs recurve, though recurve is better in cramped conditions or on horseback, but longbow can be set on ground for increased draw power.

For URW though I think longbow is more accurate.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:39 pm »

Longbow pretty much wins here, although I think you need some strength to use it more effectively. Composite bows, as far as I know, are made in a way that allows even the weaker archers to put significant amounts of force in a shot.

False. A bow is basically a sophisticated spring. The only way for an archer to put more force into a shot is to pull the string back harder or get stronger so that they can do so. A 100-pound draw composite bow takes the same amount of force to draw as a 100-pound draw longbow, and thus they should be equally as deadly. Composite bows are made out of wood, horn and sinew laminated together, which can store a lot of energy in a small length of bow. Longbows are just made out of a single piece of wood, and thus need the extra length to safely store all of that energy.

Mind you this is all off topic, especially since hunting bows don't have to be composite, and given that this is dark ages Finland they're probably not since composite bows take a lot of work and effort to make. Sorry about that, I had to rant.

So... Yeah, go with the longbow. According to the wiki It does an extra point of damage for the same weight, and oddly enough it's cheaper than the Hunting Bow, so that's a plus too. And a chart right below that contradicts that. Great job, wikiworkers. Ugh...

FAKEEDIT:

I think you are confusing composite with compound. Compound bows allow users with weaker strength to still make a powerful shot by using pulleys, a composite bow (usually recurve) allows greater draw strength for a bow of its size, longbows and composite bows are comparable in draw strength. It is the shape which allows a recurve bow to have a higher draw strength then a regular bow shape, and it is the composite material which stop the recurve bow from breaking apart.

It really is personal preference for actual longbow vs recurve, though recurve is better in cramped conditions or on horseback, but longbow can be set on ground for increased draw power.

For URW though I think longbow is more accurate.

This guy... He speaks the truth.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 11, 2013, 06:12:18 pm »

Finally completed the "Living in the wild" course after convincing with a stack of 20 spoiled fishes some woodman to go hunt with me, ending the last mission of the course.

The rewards are very interesting for completing it , you can choose to either increase some skills (what i did) or some stats (apparently the only way to increase stats) or learn a few more ritual (but i have already learned them all during the whole time it took me to complete the course).

From there you can either take another course, ignore them or retake the same if you wish.
The interest of retaking "Living the wild" are the little skills increase and item each missions give to you, along it being the easiest course to complete (so you can reap the benefit in the end again).

Currently i'm in Summer time, having added recently some more smoked food into my cellar, thanks to a recent battle with a Njerpez , i said goodbye to the small dog, letting him go free in the wild (the little bugger was eating a bit too often) .
Maybe we'll meet again in my hunting travels
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:14:38 pm by Robsoie »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 11, 2013, 11:10:29 pm »

So mad, just died because I zoomed in to a water zone while on a raft, then zoomed out and found that the game wasn't registering the raft, and I couldn't move around on water on the overmap anymore. Stupidly moved to a coastal tile and upon realizing what the problem was tried to swim out to where my raft would be and couldn't make it. Worst bug ever.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 11, 2013, 11:42:51 pm »

Finally completed the "Living in the wild" course after convincing with a stack of 20 spoiled fishes some woodman to go hunt with me, ending the last mission of the course.

The rewards are very interesting for completing it , you can choose to either increase some skills (what i did) or some stats (apparently the only way to increase stats) or learn a few more ritual (but i have already learned them all during the whole time it took me to complete the course).

From there you can either take another course, ignore them or retake the same if you wish.
The interest of retaking "Living the wild" are the little skills increase and item each missions give to you, along it being the easiest course to complete (so you can reap the benefit in the end again).

Currently i'm in Summer time, having added recently some more smoked food into my cellar, thanks to a recent battle with a Njerpez , i said goodbye to the small dog, letting him go free in the wild (the little bugger was eating a bit too often) .
Maybe we'll meet again in my hunting travels

If you go hard you can get through the living in the wild in less that a week, few things like building a fence for the building one, keeping a cured skin around for the tanning one, pre built trap fence for trap check, pre prepared large field for agriculture and just leashing and unleashing a penned animal for the animal one speed things up heaps. 
  It is the only way to up your stats as well
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 12, 2013, 12:16:16 am »

If you're smoking stuff, ALWAYS use one cord.
Took me 5 minutes to understand it was about smoking meat. It's maybe a bit late too  :-\

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:07 am »

Just started a hunter Owl tribe man with Master in bow. So as soon as i spawn i see a Vagabond hunter and attack him on site, steal his stuff, run into another hunter, kill him. Then i find a cave, and in that cave a there was a Njerpez, i shoot him dead, but he didn't have anything useful on him so i butchered him, cooked him, and spent the night in the cave. The next day i leave the cave to keep exploring. And i find the perfect spot to call home, another cave located right next to a marsh for water, its doorable, and i found a broadsword in it as a bonus.

All in all it's a good start.

Also iv'e been playing for 2 days and loving it so far.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 12, 2013, 04:48:52 am »

My character's been doing very well recently. I had a week or so without internet, so I had plenty of time to spend playing URW.

I survived my first winter easily, and with food to spare. I had no idea it would be so easy. I actually slept outside in a lean-to during a snowstorm several times, and woke up sweating. Fur cloaks, man. 16lb of pure heat.

Speaking of meat... I don't know what to do with it all. I spent the winter hunting and now I have over a thousand cuts of smoked, dried and cooked meat in my cellar. I've actually stopped butchering the animals I kill and instead just take the hides.

And speaking of hides, I think something funky is going on in my game. Apparently, two fine forest reindeer furs and 150 freshly cooked cuts of stag meat have less value than a single decent quality lynx fur. And that lynx fur can buy everything; literally. Masterwork tools quiver with joy as I walk over them, 3lb lynx pelt in hand. I'm reasonably certain that my handful of superior quality lynx hides could buy out an entire village, if only I could trade for the deed.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76