Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168117 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.16-Beta2, 5th March 2013)
« Reply #330 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:22 pm »

Skins don't take that long to tan. If you make a habit of forgetting them for days at a time, just try to incorporate checking them into your daily routine. Every morning, go check your tanning spot. Then carry on with other business.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 06, 2013, 07:50:11 pm »

Yeah, tanning even the largest skins shouldn't take more than 3 days. Curing is what takes up to 2 weeks, but that's just to preserve skins for tanning later, you don't need to do it if you're tanning the skin right away.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 06, 2013, 08:33:23 pm »

I have a tanning station near where I sleep, do every stage after I wake up, seems to work well for me.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:02 pm »

Spoiler: Die pls (click to show/hide)

Dogs can't really penetrate bear fur, which I guess makes sense. They also get in the way as I'm firing arrows... Snow, please don't die, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... :(

Edit: Snow died.  :'( I still have Brutus, though... I let him carry Snow's hide back to the house. I was going to tan it with his own fat, but I think Brutus ate it on the journey. Uh... oh well. I'll just use bark; that seems somehow more appropriate for a dog, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:23:46 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 07, 2013, 07:36:08 am »

It's just a flesh wound.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2013, 04:18:39 pm »

I had a moment of elation when I managed to track down and kill an elk with my brand new character, resulting in nearly 200 cuts of meat and a 20 lb. fur.

Then I realized that I had no way to preserve the vast majority of the meat without it spoiling (other than roasting, of course), and for some reason my area was completely devoid of stones to build a cellar with, very few trees, and none of the water was fishable. So I ended up leaving way more than half of it behind to lighten the load as I struck out to find villages and better land, but so far not a single random household. How the heck do you even find other people?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2013, 04:20:20 pm »

You guys know that you can dry meat from a shelter, right?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2013, 04:22:56 pm »

I thought you could only do that during certain months.  ???
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 07, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »

I had a moment of elation when I managed to track down and kill an elk with my brand new character, resulting in nearly 200 cuts of meat and a 20 lb. fur.

Then I realized that I had no way to preserve the vast majority of the meat without it spoiling (other than roasting, of course), and for some reason my area was completely devoid of stones to build a cellar with, very few trees, and none of the water was fishable. So I ended up leaving way more than half of it behind to lighten the load as I struck out to find villages and better land, but so far not a single random household. How the heck do you even find other people?

Go to the Map and turn on the Cultures filter. Those colored rectangles are areas that have at least 1 village of a given culture inside them, usually near the middle.

Personally, one of the first things I always do with a character is find where I want to set up my settlement, and then I build a Cellar. That gives me some breathing room between a large kill and actually smoking the meat somewhere. If nothing else, it keeps the Roasted meat from spoiling quite as fast (although 200lbs is more than you'll ever be able to go through before it spoils, roasted).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:29 pm »

There's something called a "glutton" on the island I had the misfortune of starting on. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I've spent a couple of real hours tracking it down multiple times, only for all of my javelins to sail into the water. I managed to wound it once, by stabbing it in the eye with my knife, but it just kept going and as of now is still at large. I'm tempted to just end this character anyway; aside from the the seemingly random locations where I can actually fish and utter lack of wildlife other than grouses (which fly away) and the aforementioned glutton, once I finally put a raft together and went searching for civilization, I couldn't find anything.

Fake edit: Apparently "glutton" is another term for a wolverine. No wonder stabbing it in the eye barely even slowed it down!

If it was a real wolverine, it would track you back to your camp, wait for you to go to sleep, rape your cows, break all your shit, then wait for you to rebuild, then wreck it all again. Vindictive little bastards...

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 07, 2013, 10:22:54 pm »

I've taken this up, since it's now free. So far I've seen a vagabond adventurer, axe'd him, stole his clothes and his grouse cut. Not sure what to do now.

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 07, 2013, 11:34:42 pm »

I've taken this up, since it's now free. So far I've seen a vagabond adventurer, axe'd him, stole his clothes and his grouse cut. Not sure what to do now.

Eat him.

Then build a fort.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:04 pm »

Skinning a human is too difficult for me. Also, how would I build a fort?

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2013, 01:51:39 am »

Build a house then  build walls and pit traps around it?

ok, so you can only really build houses

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2013, 02:50:30 am »

Tula Driikinainen was happily sitting in her house, carving out another bowl outta wood whilst a bean stew was cooking lazily on the heated fireplace. Suddenly, there was a ROAR followed by sound of rustling branches and stabs.

Something large fell into her entrance traps. Of course she knew that it will happen but she wasn't eager to experience that. She quickly dropped all that's not important, leaving only clothes at her, a knife, and her masterwork carving axe.

She gave the tool pile in the corner a quick look - amongst currently unused tools, there were 3 javelins. They had to suffice.

Upon bursting out of the house, she spotted IT: a small, wounded bear, trapped in the pit. Coming up close to him, she threw the javelins, hitting the small bear in torso, left and right frontal paws. THe bear merely roared at her again. Then they began to fight in melee, her carving axe against the toothy maw and mighty claws. Her axe smacked into the bear's head and paws, while the claws torn her left thigh. In fear and shock, she stumbled away and fell into the other entrance trap*. Her right shoulder and right side of the chest got nasty punctures.

She then climbed out of the pit and looked at the bear - it was uncounscious! She moved up to it and slammed the axe into it's skull. And then again. And again. Aaaand again. The last attack was on it's neck, it snapped with a sickly crunch, and the bear died.

That was 24th October. Now it's 1st November and Tula is sitting in her house, her wounds slowly healing. She is making more of the bowls, while over 100 bear cuts are slowly getting smoked in the smoking shed and the bear hide is tanning at the edge of the sea.

*As always in such situations, I messed up with numpad keys and went right into the trap ::)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 76