Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76

Author Topic: UnReal World - Now on Steam! (3.51 Stable, 29th Jun. 2018)  (Read 168128 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: UnReal World - Free to play! Donate! (3.16-Beta2, 5th March 2013)
« Reply #315 on: March 05, 2013, 07:09:31 pm »

Most of the Tribes don't have merchants. You need to hit up larger southern towns to trade with.

Can't remember the names of the groups off the top of my head, but Orange, Yellow, Green, Dark Green, and Blue are all good bets for shopkeepers. Look for actual villages, though, not just a single house. Those are frontier families and I'm pretty sure the only trade you'll get there is from a hunter or adventurer if one happens to live there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:31 pm »

The Driikilaiset on the southwestern coast have the best stuff to trade. They're teal iirc. They also live in "walled" "cities".
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:48 pm »

It's not always walled, but it can be.

Also, for other tribes, if you want to trade, you have to ask everyone what they have to sell, instead of shops. Still pretty limited though, and not high quality.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 06, 2013, 02:30:27 am »

Also, when you start as Driikilainen, you get fine/masterwork clothes and equipment on you (but not the add-ons from starting scenario!).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:13 pm »

Anyone know why my character can't fish despite having a fishing rod and standing next to water? I keep being told to "find a better spot", which I've never seen before.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 06, 2013, 12:40:38 pm »

Stable water? A one-tile lake on the zoomed-out map?
Best places for fishing are rapids in rivers - not only it will nigh-always allow you to fish there, there's good fish in them.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »

Yeah, I found a spot to fish from. Don't know what makes it any different than the other places; it was on the same overworld map tile and everything.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »

Anyone know why my character can't fish despite having a fishing rod and standing next to water? I keep being told to "find a better spot", which I've never seen before.

I think the water is too shallow. Try finding higher ground above the water (more shading between the ground and the water). Happens a lot near lakes, especially small ones, but I've never found a pond yet that didn't have at least one decent fishing spot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2013, 01:28:51 pm »

Most likely, you are standing on an elevation, you need to find a tile that's lower.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 06, 2013, 01:31:53 pm »

Most likely, you are standing on an elevation, you need to find a tile that's lower.

In my experience, it's the opposite. An elevated spot almost always works, while low shoreline spots are often unusable for fishing.

Of course, it could be something to do with the water tiles and have nothing at all to do with the shoreline.

In any case, the answer is always: Move on and try a different spot, preferably one with a different color of water.
Come play Mafia with us!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

So, I decide to be a wilderness person. Fine. I stumble across a small forester village. One hut.
Now I have about a hundred pounds of meat drying, a shitton of items and a house. It's day two.

EDIT: The one annoyance is that the place is still called "Forester village" and not as my settlement. But that's not much of a problem, I can always build a different house nearby with the materials from this one.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:03:15 pm by Supercharazad »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 06, 2013, 03:13:42 pm »

Just came here to say I killed my first bear, with only minor injurys. Ran into it on the wilderness map, went for "meh, lets try" - a single scratched shot to the hindleg, 2 missed, it was melee time. Handaxe vs paws, 2 blows exchanged (minor wound on me) - bear starts to run away. "Not on my watch" - i throw my axe after him, which causes him to quickly turn around and charge me, while I fiddle with another arrow on the bow - got a shot off, light scratch on the throat and returned to my woodman-axe, mostly just preventing damage. He would then start to run away again, I just let him run for a while and then got 2 good arrows off, before he returned for the short axe fight. Expected a little more.

Mostly waiting for winter now, to see if I can make it. Very well stocked with around 400 meat&fish smoked, 200 more in process and 6 pigs in fences, 3 nets and a nice little cabin. As a winter project i will double the cabin size and build trap-holes all around, just to keep strays off my property.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 06, 2013, 03:23:39 pm »

Sounds like you're in good shape. As long as you don't get randomly killed by something, I doubt winter will be too much of a challenge. I recommend turning that bear pelt into clothing, though, as it has the best cold protection.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 06, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »

There's something called a "glutton" on the island I had the misfortune of starting on. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I've spent a couple of real hours tracking it down multiple times, only for all of my javelins to sail into the water. I managed to wound it once, by stabbing it in the eye with my knife, but it just kept going and as of now is still at large. I'm tempted to just end this character anyway; aside from the the seemingly random locations where I can actually fish and utter lack of wildlife other than grouses (which fly away) and the aforementioned glutton, once I finally put a raft together and went searching for civilization, I couldn't find anything.

Fake edit: Apparently "glutton" is another term for a wolverine. No wonder stabbing it in the eye barely even slowed it down!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »

The process of tanning is so long i always forget about it at one step and now I have just a pile of useless rotten pelts, quite frustraiting...

I honesty just have a "easy" time because I use that mod that lets you make primitiv cord by soaking 100 branches and then crafting it into a cord.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76