Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS  (Read 52254 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »

I'd assume that making a single txt file for all the dinosaurs should be easy, so long as the file has the name of the file and [OBJECT:CREATURE] at the top of the file, then copy paste all the needed code for the dinos from each separate txt file, except the extra [OBJECT:CREATURE] tags and unneeded .txt file titles. As for keeping creatures separate, it looks like the [CREATURE:*insertnamehere*] tags automatically define a new separate creature. To keep the code organized, a free line of space should work.

I also assume you don't need to separate creatures by biome like in the standard raws, and Toady did that simply for organization. I could be wrong though.

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »

Well, I'll put them together into a file, and hope they don't need updates. The big files are, most likely, not going to be updated as much as the normal ones. In other update news...

I'm just starting to work on the temperate grasslands, featuring a hybrid of the Hell Creek and the Kirtland formations. This, for all you non-dino nerds out there, means that I grouped up a pair of formations with Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops in them.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 05:44:32 pm »

Okay, I am working on the dinosaurs now. Won't be finished today, but the Prenocephale has been updated, as it's a grassland species too now.

Also, my brain is hurting from all the names of lesser-known dinosaurs. Forget Opisthocoelicaudia, what about Naashoibitosaurus? (yes, I'm doing the second one in this next update)

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 06:22:24 pm »

I'm glad to see another person working on the dinosaur stuff.  And with such enthusiasm, too.

Last year, prior to DF2012, I was working on something very similar:  DF 70,000,000 BCE.  A mod for stone-age dwarf fortresses... which of course had Cretaceous wildlife.  However, I got distracted, and only researched and made a few dinosaurs.  Finding the correct cubic centimeter volume for every creature was a pain.  Strong emphasis on a complete ecosystem, since there weren't going to be any modern animals there.

I think I got a bunch of dromaeosaurids done, plus a few random things.  Note that since they were to be part of a larger mod, they sort of assume that dwarves haven't learnt to dig stone yet or farm, and are living as hunter-gatherers.  Also cage traps don't exist in the mod.

I debated whether I should use the Large Predator system or not.  There's a lot of predators out there, and it would be kinda lame to limit a fort to only receiving one predator.  I suspect that I might wind up using it for T-rexes and other predators that are properly large.

Dromaeosaurids
(I expect a lot of overlap, since you already have some raptors in your list of files.)

You might have to adapt them out of the body plans and other assorted files, if you're into that sort of thing.  Feathers subordinate to scales was something I felt important.  Toe structure, particularly for dromies, is important.

I don't think I ever figured out how to have dromies use Raptor Prey Restraint tactics.  It should be using the claws to tackle and grab the foe, then stand on it and eat, but the closest I got involved the claw attack latching and... shaking?

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions.  Also, if there are any areas you would like help, let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I'm very interested in this project of yours.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:26:03 pm by Nil Athelion »

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2013, 04:31:03 am »

Thanks! Just working on a Parasaurolophus now.

The dromaeosaurids sound interesting, but I don't think I'll be able to use most of them, since I don't want too many cretaceous things. If you've got any tips, though, that'd be great. I did the claw-latch as well, and made the raptors good wrestlers. DF is good, but a couple of things I can't really do.

Note: Almost mistook a Saurornitholestes for a Saurornithoides. Herpaderp.
Also, guys, I hope you like EVEN MORE obscure dinosaurs, including the tyrannosaur Bistahieversor!

psychomantits

• Bay Watcher
  • a menacing lawn gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:39 am »

keep up the good work, bro, waiting for the new version here :)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2013, 11:05:45 am »

Updated the Polocanthus and Tarchia to be grazers.

The majority of the dinosaurs are done, but still, probably won't be up today. 15 dinosaurs in the update are finished, but there's still 7 more to go, with Tyrannosaurus being last.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 04:25:07 pm »

Any chance you could make trilobites?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 04:48:22 pm »

Any chance of a Dimetrodon or other obscure animals which everyone knows the appearance of but not the name?

We should get this into a mod pack. We just need to get a civ to coexist beside them.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 04:57:12 pm »

These are just animals, they should coexist fine with vanilla or for the most part alongside any other mod you like.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »

I know, what I'm saying is we should get these into a Palentologist's Dream modpack or something,

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2013, 05:28:49 pm »

And then add dinopeople LOL

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:23 pm »

@Elfy&Guesss: For all the non-Mesozoic creatures (as in, no dinosaurs nearby), they're going to stay below ground. The caverns and aquifers can be filled to the brim with Dunkleosteus and Tiktaliik (which was the double-vowel?) and whatnot.

If anyone has any suggestions for the next place or biome, feel free to say something. I was thinking of having tropical savannah having Allosaurus and co in it.

Also, as a side note, I was JUST GOING TO SUGGEST dinopeople. Although the technical term is 'dinosauroid', even if that's also the technical term for pseudo-dinosaurs from the Triassic.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2013, 05:50:52 pm »

I think trilobites were still around in dinosaur times. And weird Cambrian shit would be really cool as underground monsters.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »

Giant caverndwelling trilobites would be terrifying lovecraftian horrors. Even if they aren't savage, just imagine seeing a pack of them crawling along in the dimness of the caverns, it'd be creepy as heck.

They'd also be neat for war-animals. A giant trilobite could take a decent beating, I assume.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23