Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS  (Read 52258 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS
« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2014, 01:12:25 pm »

The neck thing needs to be reworked a bit because the default neck bodypart was changed.
You can take it out, but then there's no vulnerable, jugular-bleeding throat for dinos to rip out.  BORING.
I guess I'll fix it up...

EDIT: Okay, I fixed up the original download (based on Agent_Irons' update).  Added proper gaits to templates, big quadrupeds are a bit slower than theropods when moving, but they fight at about the same speed.  Climbing is not in the tempate creature files (raptors and large theropods use the same template, and T-Rex was probably not much of a climber) but they are in the individual creature files, and raptors can climb really fast.  They also have STANCE_CLIMBER, to simulate wall-running, even though they don't really need it since they can grasp anyway, but they can even hold on to walls with their hands full (using their foot claws I guess?).  Pterosaurs can both fly and walk/gallop on all fours.  Also, most non-theropods can't jump (the tag for this is CANNOT_JUMP).

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2014, 01:16:27 am »

Oh man yes. Being a Puertasaurus and jumping on things was fun though.

I tweaked the *_SAWR body plans so that things that needed "THROAT"s had neck to attach them to.

It needed reworking, though, because I'm pretty sure the body plans QUADRUPED_SAWR and QUADRUPED_NECK_SAWR are now in an inconsistent state? I will have a look later, right now I'm trying to scrounge up enough totems to buy a tarbosaur. :D

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2014, 03:33:18 am »

So, you fellas are enjoying yourselves? :P

Once you've figured out the bugs as unofficial bugtesters, you can pass me a link and I'll put it on the main page.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 27, 2014, 04:49:56 am »

Mine is already on the main page.  It is still linked to the original download file.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 27, 2014, 05:18:52 am »

Ah, thanks!

Also, I went through the old half of the topic, and found some dinosaurs I need to re-add. These are:

Flaming Cliffs:
Gigantoraptor
Citipati
Saurolophus
Mononykus
Barsboldia
Nemegtosaurus
Rinchenia
Nomingia
Gallimimus
Bagaraatan

Isle of Wight:
Caulkicephalus

Hell Creek:
Naashoibitosaurus
Saurornitholestes
Lambeosaurus

Morrison Formation:
Elaphrosaurus
Drinker

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 27, 2014, 03:04:19 pm »

Perhaps we could get some subterranean dinosaurs? Troodon perhaps?

Anyone else in for a succession fortress besides Eotyrannus? JURASSIC PARK THE FORTRESS.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2014, 07:10:22 am »

In regards to the underground, I'm thinking a Lost World being down there, except it's compared to dinosaurs instead of modern day. Not quite sure which time period, or if it has to strictly match any (like having a Hender's Island down there made with anomalocarids and opabinids and trilobites and whatnot).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2014, 09:36:51 am »

In regards to the underground, I'm thinking a Lost World being down there, except it's compared to dinosaurs instead of modern day. Not quite sure which time period, or if it has to strictly match any (like having a Hender's Island down there made with anomalocarids and opabinids and trilobites and whatnot).

If you're keeping the surface strictly Mesozoic (post P-Tr extinction), the Paleozoic period has plenty of material to draw from.  Dimetrodon, Ichthyostega, and giant armor-fish Dunkleosteus are some well-known examples.

Then there's five-eyed, clawed-proboscis Opabinia, which would make most Forgotten Beasts look normal.  Too bad they were tiny.  Of course, this is Dwarf Fortress, so why not GIANT opabinias?

Also, remember there are 3 cavern layers.  You can go further back in time as you go further down.  If you mod the underground plant life, you can make each cavern layer look completely different, too.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:15 am »

If you're keeping the surface strictly Mesozoic (post P-Tr extinction), the Paleozoic period has plenty of material to draw from.  Dimetrodon, Ichthyostega, and giant armor-fish Dunkleosteus are some well-known examples.

Then there's five-eyed, clawed-proboscis Opabinia, which would make most Forgotten Beasts look normal.  Too bad they were tiny.  Of course, this is Dwarf Fortress, so why not GIANT opabinias?

Also, remember there are 3 cavern layers.  You can go further back in time as you go further down.  If you mod the underground plant life, you can make each cavern layer look completely different, too.
Oh yeah, three layers! So I'm thinking Permian, Carboniferous, Devonian or Ordivician and then Cambrian magma-horrors.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2014, 11:42:18 am »

Opabinia would work well as a vermin, that you could embiggen to giant opabinia, similar to the way some vanilla creatures are vermin normally but have giant versions that are regular creatures.

Anomalocarids and trilobites are basically required now. I won't let you not put them in.  Also these and especially these.

You might have to assume some level of amphibiousness to get migratory creatures that actually come and visit you, though.
Make the exclusively-aquatic Cambrian creatures magma-breathing, like the magma crabs and fire imps.

Can we have crinoid "plants"? Delicious meatflowers, yum!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2014, 11:18:48 am »

Quirk: Tyrannosaurs turn up as bad guys in adventure mode, but they're all 'Tyrannosaur Recruits' and won't introduce themselves. Very strange.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2014, 01:39:36 pm »

Quirk: Tyrannosaurs turn up as bad guys in adventure mode, but they're all 'Tyrannosaur Recruits' and won't introduce themselves. Very strange.

This is a vanilla bug.  Not tyrannosaurs, of course, but animal recruits are a thing which Toady should hopefully fix soon.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 09, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »

So, just to be sure. The link up on the first post should work for 2014?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2014, 02:33:35 am »

Yup, should work. No bugs have been reported, anyway.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2014, 07:41:30 am »

Alright, awesome
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23