Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS  (Read 52279 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2013, 08:33:17 am »

Some useful tags to consider:

BENIGN: Creatures with this tag will not scare dwarves by default and will neither attack nor run from them.  If you build outside, they can walk right up to your citizens without problems.  Good for large herbivores.
LARGE_PREDATOR: Will attack creatures smaller than them (but will usually flee from those larger).  Will ambush travelers regardless of size.
AMBUSHPREDATOR: Will generally only attack if the target is a few spaces away.  Less dangerous in the open because dwarves will usually avoid getting too close, but dangerous in places with narrow twisting corridors.
PRONE_TO_RAGE:# : Have a percent chance of flipping out and attacking everything (except for its allies) in sight.  Even with a 1% chance, these creatures are dangerous.  BENIGN only makes them more dangerous, since dwarves won't avoid them until it's too late.  On the other hand, make excellent war animals.
VIEWRANGE:# : An underrated tag that is very handy for controlling behavior.  It controls the distance at which this creature will react to other creatures.  May make a creature much more or less dangerous, depending on other details.
HUNTS_VERMIN makes a creature chase and kill vermin, while GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS will actually eat vermin it encounters instead of leaving their remains around.  Combine HUNTS_VERMIN with GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS: GENERAL_POISON for a creature that hunts and eats vermin.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:24 am »

So, if I create the creatures, you could add the tags?

It might be an idea to redo some of the older creatures with the new ideas, like the Tyrannosaurus's roar being applied to Baryonyx and Tarbosaurus. Perhaps we could have some creatures make footsteps, like how capybara do in adventure mode. For example:

"You hear the footsteps of two mighty feet in the distance..." Baryonyx, Tyrannosaurus, Tarbosaurus
"You hear the bellows of dinosaurs in the distance..." Triceratops
"You hear the footsteps of titanic beasts in the distance..." Puertasaurus

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2013, 01:09:08 pm »

I'm not too sure how I feel about the tyrannosaurus roar, actually... Giving creatures special abilities and unique behaviors is a specialty of mine, but I thought that this was supposed to be a fairly conservative mod... just regular vanilla DF, BUT WITH DINOSAURS.  Just because we CAN give dinosaurs turbo-boosts, stat debuff spells and the ability to swallow a dwarf whole doesn't mean we SHOULD.  Even the natural skill tokens are pushing it a bit if you ask me (dinosaurs were probably not too talented in the martial arts - those tokens are generally reserved for supernatural creatures to make them harder than they ought to be physically.  Dinosaurs are big enough already ).

As for sounds, though...feel free to go nuts.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2013, 01:24:47 pm »

The roar was just for !!fun!!, and the [NOPAIN] tags and whatnot were to prevent one hunter making the entire fortress rich. I had that problem fairly often.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2013, 02:30:42 pm »

Might want to cut out the MULTIPLY_VALUE then...That can really drive kill value through the roof.  I expect dino meat would be quite cheap in a world full of dinosaurs.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:38 pm »

Probably would be a good idea. It'd be good for tyrannosaur feather to be as expensive as giant cave spider silk or more, though. I'd imagine that it'd both be immensely fluffy and amazingly badass to be wearing feathers plucked from the skin of the most ferocious predator of all time.

Well, Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus would probably both have some sort of feather, but Giganotosaur feather would probably be quite scratchy and there's a reason that spinosaur feather is called 'Swamp-feather'.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:59 pm »

Heh... I just embarked in a desert, and got mauled by a pack of Tarbosaurs that came out of nowhere. Awesome.

Oh, I saw that some of the More Cat-Like dinosaurs (The ones that hunt vermin) are trainable for War and Hunting. Is that intentional? (Just wondering.)
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2013, 06:16:11 am »

Updated: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8191

The last version had some problems with the template system, but it's fixed now - delete the previous files and unzip the package into the raw folder as it is.  I strongly suggest using the system if a template exists, it makes creating and editing groups of similar dinosaurs much less tedious and error-prone.  See the creature_dinosaur_examples file for an explanation of how to use it.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2013, 10:49:48 am »

I've been using the template systems for the new ones. I'm currently getting past Elaphrosaurus.

Also, since people seem to be interested, perhaps we should make another attempt at a succession fort without the first guy being me (because that's the main problem, me being an immense procrastinator).

I think the Velociraptor didn't copy/paste properly, since it's not at the end where it was before. I PMed you an Acheroraptor and Chirostenotes, too.

If anyone's free, could they check which dinosaurs there are in the mod? It'll allow me to get straight to remaking the not-there ones once I've finished the Morrison Formation dinosaurs.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2013, 03:30:49 am »

Minor double post...

Hey, guys. Y'know how Chirostenotes had a really large middle finger, so I made it the most annoying thing ever?

I have another dinosaur like that, except the good bit is in the name.

It's called Drinker, of all things. The obvious solution is to make it as dorf-like as possible. I ask thee: How do I do this? (I could make them learn from combat, so we get drinkers kicking the faces off of Bronze Collossi, and make them able to wield rat-leather bags and stuff, which would be hilarious.)

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2013, 04:14:19 am »

You could have it be a Guzzler, or something.

BTW, why doesn't Tarbosaurus roar? Tarbo is also called Tyrannosaurus Bataar, and is more or less the same thing as T-Rex.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2013, 04:21:30 am »

That's just because Tarbosaurus is older, and hasn't been updated properly.

I'll have a look for that, then. Should I make it truly dwarven and give it a martial trance and ability to learn how to kick stuff better?

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2013, 04:29:13 am »

Oh, alright, then. Sorry.

Hmm... Make it really dwarvy. Give it the ability t- :O MAKE IT ALCAHOL DEPENDANT AND MAKE IT A PLAYABLE RACE UNDER THE DWARVEN ENTITY.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2013, 05:05:36 am »

OH MY FACE THAT WOULD BE BRILLIANT. Currently, it has the [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] and [TRANCE] tags. If we were going to make them part of the Dwarven civilisation, we should probably make a list of the jobs it could do, which I think would be:

Ambusher
Trapper
Grower
Herbalist
Miller
Wood Burner
Fisherdrinker
Strand Extractor
Pump Operator
Siege Operator
Swimmer
Biter
Dodger
Fighter
Kicker
Striker
Wrestler
Armor user (would require Drinker armour)
Shield user
Axeman
Blowgunner
Hammerman
Knife user
Lasher
Maceman
Misc. Object user
Pikeman
Spearman
Swordsman
Thrower
Comedian
Intimidator
Judge of Intent
Liar
Consoler
Leader
Observer
Pacifier
Student
Teacher

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2013, 05:23:51 am »

Sadly blowguns are useless without poision, and there is no way to apply it. :/

Hmm.. I dont know how a guzzler would work... *shrugs* I'd glady beta=test it for you.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23