Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS  (Read 52266 times)

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
Re: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2013, 03:22:40 am »

I'd be willing to Bugtest as well, Eoty. I LOVE DINOS.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2013, 03:58:52 am »

Actually, if we're going to make a whole project of this, the best idea would probably be to use creature templates for basic groups (ceratopsians, sauropods, raptors, etc.)  Then we could easily create variations with different sizes, colors, etc.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2013, 10:53:54 am »

Yeah, sounds good.

We'll probably need to figure out which species were lost. I know Chirostenotes was lost, so we need to make the world's greatest annoyance walk again. Also alongside Tyrannosaurus is the newly-described Acheroraptor, which to Velociraptor is basically what Tyrannosaurus is to Tarbosaurus. And Deinocheirus probably should be edited, as it's a very robust creature with a hump now that we've found new skeletons.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:18 pm »

Yeah, I'm trying to put together some extra creature variations to deal with all those dinos that mostly fall into one of the standard body plans, but with an extra bit tagged on.  Let's see, so far I've got neck frills, dermal armor, 1-3 sets of facial horns, tail clubs, dorsal sails, semibipedal stance (essentially moves on four legs but can also grasp with its front feet), super-long necks, and of course, the thagomizer.  Humps are a new one, though.  Am I missing anything?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2013, 04:27:54 pm »

We might need a frill of horns, dental batteries (for hadrosaurs, as they have absurd numbers of teeth), crests and helmets (for stuff like Parasaurolophus and Lambeosaurus), head crests, killing claws, arm stubs (since abelisaurs like Carnotaurus don't really have enough arms to be worth calling an arm, and alvarezsaurids basically have an arm stub with a claw) and head crests (like on Dilophosaurus) and lumps (Monolophosaurus, Einosaurus). Neck frills probably won't be needed, depending on what you're thinking of. If you're thinking about the frills on Jurassic Park spitting midget dilophosaurs, then that won't work, as they didn't have that. There was a sail of tissue on the neck of Amargosaurus, though. Plates and spikes (for stegosaurs) would also be nice. Hind wings for Microraptor and friends might be nice. A whip tail could also be a useful feature, for Diplodocus and friends.

Yeah, humps are found on numerous dinosaurs, mostly the spinosaurs. Spinosaurus probably had a hump at the sail's base, Acrocanthosaurus had a hump, Deinocheirus had one, Ouranosaurus... It's quite a long list.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2013, 04:47:00 pm »

Anyone mind if I hop on board?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2013, 04:47:34 pm »

I am content with anyone helping out with the mod, as long as it is dinosaurs and it is science

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2013, 05:02:12 pm »

M'kay. I already have a few dinosaur raws sitting around; Acrocanthosaurus, Albertosaurus, Alamosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Camarasaurus, complete with rare albino variants. I'd like to donate some more.
Also; prehistoric birds, anyone? They're dinosaurs too.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2013, 05:08:17 pm »

Saur Fortress is just general prehistoric beasts and critters. I've even got tiny land crocodiles.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2013, 05:13:26 pm »

Alright; I suppose I can leave the rest in too. Getting to work on the body parts; I'll post them here once I'm done.
And I'm pretty sure Indigo's neck frills are for ceratopsians.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:18:26 pm by 20firebird »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:09 pm »

Updated: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8191

It's not a complete list of all the things we'll need, but since everyone seems so eager to start...
I've included templates for ceratopsians, ankylosaurs, sauropods, ornithopods, pachycephalosaurs, hadrosaurs, and four variations of theropod, depending on whether or not they were feathered and whether or not their arms could be used for combat.

The templates are not, strictly speaking, an accurate scientific classification system, they are just a convenient way of classifying body plans as far as DF is concerned.

There are also a bunch of 'extra' parts used in creature variations, for those individual species that break the mold (and some that are close enough to something else to not need a whole new template - for example, add a terrible claw to a feathered theropod and you have your raptor).  I've included general descriptions of each one and a few examples (the dinosaurs themselves should be added in creature_dinosaur_examples).  Basically the templates handles the materials and overall body plan so the individual dinosaurs only need the tags relating to names, descriptions, body sizes, behavior, things like that.

It's good modding practice to end all modded objects with a suffix, so they can be easily added into other mods without worrying about duplicates.  I chose _SAWR.

I'd like to suggest, for gameplay purposes, that the creature tiles used for individual dinosaurs be based on their associated 'group' rather than always being the first letter of the species name... it might not matter much in-game what kind of hadrosaur herd is wandering onto your map, but you wouldn't want to mistake a benign targia for a tyrannosaur, would you?

And yes, the frills are ceratopsian bone frills... they partially block attacks to the neck.  I don't know of any non-ceratopsian species that has them, but I figured it would be best to keep it as an option just in case.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2013, 06:37:22 pm »

Nice. Dinosplosions for all!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:40:49 pm by 20firebird »

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2013, 02:46:37 am »

When I get a good chance to get on here, I'll put up the ideas for my next ecosystem, and we can choose which biome and who does what.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2013, 04:07:53 am »

I missed this. I'm posting here.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2013, 06:07:58 am »

I was thinking it might be a good idea to make each biome more or less correspond to a time period... like Jurassic dinos could live in the temperate regions and tropical regions could represent the Cretaceous, which was warmer overall... maybe Triassic creatures could live in deserts and certain swamps (there are many types of swamp biomes to work with).  This could help with avoiding the prehistoric combo platter typical of less scientifically accurate works.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23