Gandalf the White
- 46 (79.3%)
Dumbledore
- 10 (17.2%)
tie
- 2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore  (Read 13989 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: epic battle to the death : Gandalf the While vs Dumbledore
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 06:02:34 pm »

He does. But it's useless now that the One Ring is destroyed.
Uh, no. Sauron didn't created the 3. The only link between the One and the Three was that he could have influenced the thoughts of people using the Three.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 06:12:16 pm »

Uh, no. Sauron didn't created the 3. The only link between the One and the Three was that he could have influenced the thoughts of people using the Three.
Um, no. Sauron participated in creating the Three. That's why the elves didn't use the rings and hid them instead. That's the whole point of "One Ring to rule them all". That's why the elves leave Middle-earth after the One Ring is destroyed, the power is gone.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 06:16:37 pm »

Hope is indeed a wonderful thing. Driving people endlessly onward into oblivion per hope, it is humanity's weapon. And Gandalf's too apparently.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 06:25:43 pm »

Nope, Sauron participated in the creation of all the rings, except the three, which were created by Celebrimbor alone.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 06:39:07 pm »

He says so himself; he's the most dangerous person they're ever going to meet besides Sauron. Dumbledore doesn't really have the combat experience of Gandalf either.
This is... well, not quite questionable, per se, Dumbles does have a fair amount of off-screen combat experience, what with Grindleward, Voldie and the whole century+ of forefront-of-fighting-bad-wizards thing. Less than the many centuries old Gandalf, yeah, but still a not inconsequential amount of experience. I'd wager there's a point where you kinda' plateau insofar as that goes, and they're both at or near it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 06:42:50 pm »

He says so himself; he's the most dangerous person they're ever going to meet besides Sauron.

Yeah but this is Lord of the Rings universe... A man with an Uzi would be the most dangerous person in middle earth.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »

Short answer: "It depends". The main things it depends on are:

- Can Dumbledore bring himself to use Avada Kedavra?

- Does Gandalf's light shield thingy repel Avada Kedavra? It stopped the freaking Balrog, but AK is claimed to be unstoppable... so maybe, maybe not. Unstoppable force, meet immovable object.

- Assuming AK can break the light shield thingy, can Gandalf find some other way of nullifying it? It can't be magically blocked, but as the movies have shown at length, you can just dodge it, or make sure there is some other cover in-between. I would give Gandalf better odds in the forest or swamp if there is cover to hide behind. He could also just be quicker "on the draw" and throw Dumbledore around, pull the wand out of his hand, or otherwise disable his casting hand.

- Likewise, does "Protego" do anything against Gandalf's powers? Given it explicitly doesn't work against AK its fair to say Gandalf would have something that would get through.

Ultimately we can probably conclude this would be a very quick fight, as neither of them can reliably stop the other's powers.

So, assuming Dumbledore doesn't open with Avada Kedavra and assuming Gandalf doesn't use the light shield thingy, I'd have to go with whoever is first to react. Both of them can pull the wand/staff out of the other's hand, and both are fairly useless without their casting implement of choice. If they both did it at the same time and disarmed each other it would come down to their respective skill with a sword, which I would have to give to Gandalf who has at least been seen using one. Dumbledore definitely has the better sword (is Glamdring even magical?), but we've seen no evidence that he has any skill with it.

So... I'm going with Gandalf I guess. How many nerd points do I get for this post?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:50:24 pm by Nilik »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 06:46:52 pm »

He says so himself; he's the most dangerous person they're ever going to meet besides Sauron.

Yeah but this is Lord of the Rings universe... A man with an Uzi would be the most dangerous person in middle earth.

Mumakils with Uzis

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 06:49:37 pm »

Does Gandalf's light shield thingy repel Avada Kedavra?

In this case this is specifically what doesn't work on Avada Kedavra. Magic cannot affect this spell.

It can't be magically blocked, but as the movies have shown at length, you can just dodge it, or make sure there is some other cover in-between

A LOT of things can stop it, just not magic.

Likewise, does "Protego" do anything against Gandalf's powers? Given it explicitly doesn't work against AK its fair to say Gandalf would have something that would get through

Well no... I'd handle it by saying that Avada Kedavra is a spell that is completely impervious to magic.

However Gandalf could summon a rock in its way (if he could cast that kind of spell)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 06:52:10 pm »

No. And even if he would, the unspeakable curses are powered by the casters malevolence and hatred (or something like that), of whichDubledore generally has very little.

Can we now please stop making him into a killing-curse slinging psycho?

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2013, 06:53:28 pm »

Does Gandalf's light shield thingy repel Avada Kedavra?

In this case this is specifically what doesn't work on Avada Kedavra. Magic cannot affect this spell.

It can't be magically blocked, but as the movies have shown at length, you can just dodge it, or make sure there is some other cover in-between

A LOT of things can stop it, just not magic.

Likewise, does "Protego" do anything against Gandalf's powers? Given it explicitly doesn't work against AK its fair to say Gandalf would have something that would get through

Well no... I'd handle it by saying that Avada Kedavra is a spell that is completely impervious to magic.

However Gandalf could summon a rock in its way (if he could cast that kind of spell)

I've edited my post. I think it would be over very quickly either way, as neither of them could really "block" the other's powers reliably. If Dumbledore opens with Avada Kedavra and hits he wins, but both of them can disarm each other easily, and both would probably try to open with that since its pretty much an instant-win. Given Gandalf can do this subvocally, I'd have to give the quick-draw to him too, actually. Gandalf wins, unless Dumbledore can keep a grip on his wand somehow.

No. And even if he would, the unspeakable curses are powered by the casters malevolence and hatred (or something like that), of whichDubledore generally has very little.

Can we now please stop making him into a killing-curse slinging psycho?

Definitely Gandalf then. Dumbledore opens with "Expelliarmus", Gandalf pulls the wand out of his hand before he finishes because his version of "Expelliarmus" just seems to require a gesture.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:57:08 pm by Nilik »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2013, 06:54:45 pm »

- Does Gandalf's light shield thingy repel Avada Kedavra? It stopped the freaking Balrog, but AK is claimed to be unstoppable... so maybe, maybe not. Unstoppable force, meet immovable object.
Well, AK's not quite unstoppable, it just can't be stopped with magic and if it hits something living, it kills them. A thrown rock can theoretically stop an AK, if it manages to hit one. Table, wall, hat, whatever (though if it's in contact with flesh, it kills. Wearing a shield wouldn't help, but throwing a sock at it would.). AK kills the first thing it hits, but it's got a travel time (seems relatively slow, honestly), only goes in straight lines, and only hits one thing per casting. It's great if you can hit something with it, but you've got to actually do that first, yeah. And not have someone throw a pigeon in the way or whatever.

Dude with a few bags of tricks could hold off someone spamming AK for a while. Or, like, someone with a pez dispenser.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2013, 06:56:19 pm »

Well, AK's not quite unstoppable, it just can't be stopped with magic and if it hits something living, it kills them. A thrown rock can theoretically stop an AK, if it manages to hit one. Table, wall, hat, whatever (though if it's in contact with flesh, it kills. Wearing a shield wouldn't help, but throwing a sock at it would.). AK kills the first thing it hits, but it's got a travel time (seems relatively slow, honestly), only goes in straight lines, and only hits one thing per casting. It's great if you can hit something with it, but you've got to actually do that first, yeah. And not have someone throw a pigeon in the way or whatever.

Dude with a few bags of tricks could hold off someone spamming AK for a while. Or, like, someone with a pez dispenser.

Well... a pez dispenser and really really good aim.

Up next, Voldemort VS Bullseye!

*edit* Actually I'm not convinced about that one; we've seen AK tear up the scenery before, enough to crack walls and break furniture, so it obviously carries quite a lot of energy with it. If it were stopped by literally any matter in-between then the dust in the air would render it useless. Therefore, I don't think a pez would be enough to stop it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:59:33 pm by Nilik »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »

My thoughts upon seeing this thread title was "Who on earth would debate this", then I open up the thread and skim through seeing that, apparently, the entire forum would,

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:37 pm »

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the most useful ability of Gandalf yet.

Quote from: The Two Towers
[Gandalf] raised his hand, and spoke slowly in a clear cold voice. 'Saruman, your staff is broken.' There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman's hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf's feet.

Checkmate, Dumbledore.

Can't Dumbledore cast spells from his hand with no loss of ability or power? unlike Gandalf.

Did you read the quote? Gandalf shattered Saruman's staff by raising his hand and willing it to be so. He fought the Balrog with Glamdring. In fact, the only thing I actually remember Gandalf using his staff to do was the light trick to drive off the Ringwraiths.
The light thing was Peter Jackson interpreting it that way; in the books it's described as a bolt of fire or some such.
GANDALF LAZOR

Plasma. BURN THE HERETICS. Gandalf the Grey Knight. Can't get the thought out now.
Brb writing fanfic
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10