Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creepy stuff I'm trying to mod in - and could use help with.  (Read 2187 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Creepy stuff I'm trying to mod in - and could use help with.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 11:38:38 pm »

I feel proud of myself for actually figuring out the BY_CATEGORY part. 

It's still giving me an error message (Interaction Token not recognized : FINGER_PHOBIA) but I'm testing it...
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:38 pm »

Did you make a FINGER_PHOBIA interaction?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:49:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's where I'm failing.  Interactions have me completely confused.

The syndrome works, now, but perhaps a little too well.  What's supposed to be a blood-everywhere, creep-out-the-player syndrome is instead killing the dwarves so quickly, it took me three embarks to catch them in the act of dying.  The first two times, I looked away for under thirty seconds and came back to a game over screen.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:52:00 pm »

Interactions aren't that bad.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 11:55:52 pm »

I thank you both for your help, but circumstances force me to make an early night of it tonight - my wife needs a ride to work in seven hours, as the only other option is walking with -18 wind chill.  I'll try giving interactions a shot tomorrow morning, assuming I'm awake enough.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 03:28:41 am »

You are forgiven! :D Giving a ride to a wife is a good enough excuse (but only if she gives a ride back).

If you feel confused, just post your whole thingie you've got at the moment and we will tell you what's wrong.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 06:26:08 am »

Thanks.  I was unable to get back to sleep after she got up, so I took her to work early with a few books.  Thought I'd give this a crack before bed.

I came to the conclusion that I kind of only need a stub of an interaction - I didn't need the dwarves to *do* anything with it (unless I could think up something suitably creepy to add to the atmosphere of what I'm trying to do), just produce the message.  I was wrong, apparently.  I wound up adapting a fragment of a Luck spell from Dwarf Chocolate, turning it instead into a curse that would produce minor bad luck for a little while:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since it's not attached to the messages (of which I have several sets for maximum creep-out factor) I can just use the same interaction for different messages. 

The syndrome in full as it currently stands (bleeding changed to necrosis in order to not insta-kill the dwarves - will change to bruising.  Although I want blood spurting to unnerve the player a little, it wouldn't really do that much to most players of DF.):

I put it right after the USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE defining plump helmet wine and it works.

If you're interested, the updated version of the rest of the creepy messages:

Thanks for the help - I think I've got what I need for the moment.  I've only got a couple things left for my project, including creating a devious boss (the aforementioned Exile, who needs to be something *killable* but dangerous to an entire fort's military).  If you'd like to suggest any particularly dangerous monsters that you think would be a good jumping-off point, I'm all ears - in about eight hours.  Going back to bed and then going off to work when I get up.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:50:45 am by Talanic »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 01:26:30 pm »

you're doing the verbs incorrectly--it's 2nd person:3rd person:(mutual), the last for verbs

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19:52 pm »

With your help, I've gotten almost to where I want to be.  The last things I want to do are turn the monsters I've created into a civ (which I should be able to do, done it before) and create an interaction that resurrects the target, turns it into a monster temporarily,  lets it turn back normal for a few months, then turns it into a different monster.

RAW:

So far, it only raises the target as a zombie.  Which, while fun, isn't really what I was hoping to do.  Any help?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:01 pm »

Can resurrections have syndromes?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 12:06:07 am »

Can resurrections have syndromes?

Yes

EDIT

Wait nvm I think you need to drop an ADD_SYNDROME section too. gimmie a sec

EDIT2:

Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:ACTIVATE_LARGE_RAT_FERAL] --- Brings dead back to life then transforms it into new creature
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CORPSE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_ITEM]
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
[IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE:SPAWN_ESSENCE:EVIL]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:essence]
[I_EFFECT:RESURRECT]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:SPAWN_2]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
[CE:CREATURE:RAT_LARGE_FERAL:MALE]
[CE_ADD_TAG:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:NOT_LIVING:START:0]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:07:51 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 12:41:17 am »

What's going on is apparently that I'm an idiot who was calling the wrong interaction.  Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:07:07 pm by Talanic »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 04:31:57 pm »

Last one, hopefully.

Goal:  When a Grinner is in combat with a Dwarf, the Grinner has a chance to infest the dwarf, resulting in the dwarf eventually (1% chance) turning into one of the different types of Grinners. 

What Actually Happens:  I put dwarves into the arena next to a single Grinner.  All dwarves immediately turn into Elite Grinners.  This is only limited by the maximum range of the effect, which, of course, spreads as new dwarves gain the ability.

What am I messing up this time?

Data from interaction file:

Data from creature file:

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »

PROB, not PERC.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 06:34:12 pm »

MUCH better.  Thanks!

Pages: 1 [2]