Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What if DF came out in 1987?  (Read 5802 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
What if DF came out in 1987?
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:23 am »

Title.
If the game so complex came out in the golden age of gaming (*assuming that was the time*), would it have a greater impact on the gaming industry? (at this point it's a pun)

Let's just assume that PC from that era could run it somewhat reliably, k?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: What if DF came out in 1987?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:04 am »

It would definitively would settle the bases of the game industry. With games being taken more seriously perhaps. Instead of pretty things that run you trough a pretty world, procedural games, or better said procedural game engines would have been then norm. Games might have been more expensive however. Who knows how all would have been in the end, but most games, as norm, would have had tons and tons of more deep. Imagine a world where RPG Mario where the game were the Mario games came from.

EDIT: Also I was born on that year, thus, it's the most awesome year ever, you can all go and mark it on your calendars as the day your future emperor was born.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:54:15 am »

It would definitively would settle the bases of the game industry. With games being taken more seriously perhaps. Instead of pretty things that run you trough a pretty world, procedural games, or better said procedural game engines would have been then norm. Games might have been more expensive however. Who knows how all would have been in the end, but most games, as norm, would have had tons and tons of more deep. Imagine a world where RPG Mario where the game were the Mario games came from.

EDIT: Also I was born on that year, thus, it's the most awesome year ever, you can all go and mark it on your calendars as the day your future emperor was born.

Year, okay, but what day? :P
(SPOILER: I was born 10 years later)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:56:05 am »

I'm so freakishly awesome that it took a whole year to put me together :D
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:23 pm »

Hmmm... I'm sure EA would have found a way to ruin roguelikes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »

Buy now, extra tile packs.

Only 15.99 to see the difference between a bunny and a bear.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:09 pm »

b and B :P

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »

"Dwarf Fortress", "Dwarf Fortress 2", "Dwarf Fortress 2, episode 2"

Wait, I just realized this just went from "What if DF was released in 1987" to "EA and their god damn DLC" in less than a page.

*slow clap*
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:34:33 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:07 pm »

Dwarf Fortress would probably of been heralded as a pinnacle of gaming graphics.

And it technically went from "What if Df was released in 1987" to "EA and their god damn DLC" to "Complaining about Valve" to "Talking about how badly we derailed" in less then a page. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:52:56 am »

If it's reasonable to assume that 1987 computers can run DF, it seems unfair to say that they wouldn't be able to run good graphics as well. DF is the epitome of trade-off between graphics and computing power utilized. Furthermore, in only a few years games with visibly good graphics would come out even if they did not already exist and blow DF out of the water for most of the potential consumer of video games.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 03:40:17 am »

DF version 1.0 would be out!

no but seriously, in 1987 the only real way to distribute games in 1987 was retail.
we would have to buy df my friends

i Vow to quickly end your cruel and tyrannical  rain and install my own crueler and more tyrannical rain 

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 09:12:45 am »

Get it now, the Dwarf Fortress 2 Mega Deal! Get Dwarf Fortress 2 and the Goblin Goodness, Minotaur Madness, Fantastical Creatures, Dark Monsters, Orc City and Katy Perry's Sweat Treats expansion packs for only $299.95!
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:14 am »

Get it now, the Dwarf Fortress 2 Mega Deal! Get Dwarf Fortress 2 and the Goblin Goodness, Minotaur Madness, Fantastical Creatures, Dark Monsters, Orc City and Katy Perry's Sweat Treats expansion packs for only $299.95!

Only if Katy Perry is four feet tall and has a beard.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:30 am »

DF version 1.0 would be out!

I doubt it. Seriously.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:16:53 am by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:38 pm »

Nothing would have changed. The gaming industry has by and large been dumbing itself down for decades. DF wouldn't have even propped it up for a slower decline. Crowd sourcing likely would have had a bigger impact on the industry, but it wouldn't have been easy without faster information exchange.
Pages: [1] 2 3