Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Can I fix my noble necromancer?  (Read 4449 times)

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I fix my noble necromancer?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 09:07:02 am »

I don't know. The only thing odd about his allegiances is that he is a member of "The Brown Guilds" as well as my civ, "The Mechanical Somethingorothers". He isn't listed as an enemy of my civ. He scares my civilians, and my civilians scare him. My marksdwarfs will take shots at him sometimes, and if any hit all hell breaks loose. He is represented by the purple N of a necromancer, but I can assign him jobs and such and he does them. I got him indoors by ordering everyone away from the entrance hall and ordering him to pull an out of the way lever, but he still ran around a bit when he encountered a child wandering around. (Why is it that when I remove a "meeting area" zone and remove the location from the permitted burrow, citizens still wander there to take breaks for a few more days?) He does raise any corpse he sees, and those corpses are normal hostile zombies.

I can put a save up when I get home, if anybody wants to mess with him.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:24:19 am by Laserhead »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 12:34:05 pm »

It's possible that civ one is a enemy of civ 2, so due to some overlapping coding he is both a enemy of your dwarves (due to being a necromancer) and also a memeber of your dwarves (due to being part of your civ), so anyone who touches him due to him being a necromancer will become a traitor (a enemy of both civs, basically)

I wonder if he can have necromancer artifacts in his room? It'd be a interesting addition to df for when things like this happen. Also so you build a artifact that can raise the dead so you can get valuable bones or a undead forggoten beast deathtrap or something.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:46 pm »

My necromancers are a little easier to manage since they are ex-adventurers, but I've been having great luck with isolating them, and using their powers through glass windows.

He will need clothes, but this can be solved permanently with a military uniform: steel is clothes.

He will slow down, but that can be solved via danger room (as long as you do what I said about clothes)

If at all possible: burn all dead you don't plan on raising.

Watch out for wool
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:19 pm »

Dig a narrow walkway above a large pit. Have his quarters in the pit. Set it up so that invaders will dodge into the pit. Enjoy your growing zombie parts army. (Unless an invader lands on your king's head.)
Can you imagine? Every single person who enters your fort would have to walk down this narrow passage overlooking a massive pit full of moving corpses and body parts. With the king just chilling out in the middle of it.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 10:10:07 pm »

I have to paint/draw that. Gemme a minute. I just have to.

Edit: My sense of scale, especially with the aid of the zoom function, is horrible. That said,
Spoiler: NecromancerKing (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:08:56 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:02 pm »

I have to paint/draw that. Gemme a minute. I just have to.

Edit: My sense of scale, especially with the aid of the zoom function, is horrible. That said,
Spoiler: NecromancerKing (click to show/hide)
The use of a lawn chair makes it a million times funnier.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:14 am »

Rockstome welcomes you: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7407 (now with 20% more actually working!)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:59:09 am by Laserhead »

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 11:36:42 am »

alright, time to see if his own undead attack him ans start a undead loyalty cascade

and then have the necromancer king resurect husks or something

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:15 pm »

Why would you fix this? this is great!

Exactly my sentiments. When DF gives you really weird nobles, like Elf Kings and Necromancer Consorts, you friggin' cherish that gift.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:00 pm »

I can certainly just lock him in a vault, I've put some space in for him behind the queen's tomb (seemed appropriate). I don't mind that he's a necromancer, but the fact that he can't walk ten feet in my fort without cancelling job: Interrupted by Pump Operator makes it difficult to deploy him. I wonder if the "Vampires aren't afraid of zombies" thing affects him as well. I don't have any vampire citizens to test with (that I know of...).

I think zombies he raises are just OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, not any specific civ allegiance, so they shouldn't cause loyalty issues. Of course that would require a way to send the military after his zombies without them also attacking him. Perhaps I could set him up in a room with windows, make a slightly more controlled version of the zombie shooting gallery for melee training. The problem with zombie melee training seems to be the bad "attacked by the dead" thought, as much as anything else.

Also, unfortunately, while the region is reanimating and in range of a necromancer tower, there's no evil weather, so no husks. Plenty of zombie yaks though.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:39:06 pm by Laserhead »

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:12 pm »

I can certainly just lock him in a vault, I've put some space in for him behind the queen's tomb (seemed appropriate). I don't mind that he's a necromancer, but the fact that he can't walk ten feet in my fort without cancelling job: Interrupted by Pump Operator makes it difficult to deploy him. I wonder if the "Vampires aren't afraid of zombies" thing affects him as well. I don't have any vampire citizens to test with (that I know of...).

I think zombies he raises are just OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, not any specific civ allegiance, so they shouldn't cause loyalty issues. Of course that would require a way to send the military after his zombies without them also attacking him. Perhaps I could set him up in a room with windows, make a slightly more controlled version of the zombie shooting gallery for melee training. The problem with zombie melee training seems to be the bad "attacked by the dead" thought, as much as anything else.

Also, unfortunately, while the region is reanimating and in range of a necromancer tower, there's no evil weather, so no husks. Plenty of zombie yaks though.
Zombies won't turn on their masters.
At least, that's how it works in adventure mode, so I would assume it stands true for dwarf mode.
You could get a vampire and then squash him in the main water supply, turning everyone to vamps. Then the zombies won't attack anyone. But people may still run away from your king... Or the king may still run away from them.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »

you could make a zombie army withhim, as long as you don't expose your civis to them.  put him behind a window overlooking your courtyard, and dump corpses from above.  he'll re-animate, and they'll fight invaders.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 04:26:42 pm »

actually, I've just had a thought.

If there are other necromancers in the area, could we start a necromancer-only loyalty cascade with the king? (assuming all necromancers belong to the same civ)

I realise necromancers hang out alone most the time but it'd be nice to see if it would be possible

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:08 pm »

actually, I've just had a thought.

If there are other necromancers in the area, could we start a necromancer-only loyalty cascade with the king? (assuming all necromancers belong to the same civ)

I realise necromancers hang out alone most the time but it'd be nice to see if it would be possible

Do they ever fight personally in fortress mode? I only ever saw them chilling in a sea of zombies, and trying to sneak inside.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 05:42:47 pm »

Do they ever fight personally in fortress mode? I only ever saw them chilling in a sea of zombies, and trying to sneak inside.

I suppose the worse that could happen is that they run away from eachother and nothing happens

I'm not sure if you can get a necromancer to pick things up (although considering hes a dwarf it's likly he will), and I'm certainly not sure if you can even order military commands to your king, but it wouldn't hurt to make him, say, a legendary axedwarf before seeing wether the necromancers will flee from eachother or if necroking will carve his necromancer buddy up and get himself branded a traitor by the necromancer civ
Pages: 1 [2] 3