Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Race specific mounts and war beasts  (Read 655 times)

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
Race specific mounts and war beasts
« on: February 17, 2013, 04:04:25 pm »

I have a slight problem. I am trying to make it so that only a certain race (orc) that I am modding for personal use, has certain mounts that it only uses, and it doesn't use anything else. I want it to just use this set of 10 ish animals that I modded in, but I can't find a tag. I don't want [EVIL] because that will just interfere with gobs. Any ideas would be appreciated.
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Race specific mounts and war beasts
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:30 pm »

Right now it's extremely difficult to limit creatures to certain races. Basically right now there are four groups of creatures, good ones, evil ones, cave ones, and normal ones (and use all). Other then limiting a group to a certain set of animals there isn't much you can do.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:36:52 pm »

you can also use common domestic and pet_exotic + use all pet race to limit this... but yeah, it is very, very difficult.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:23:29 pm »

why not have a caste that's extremely rare that transforms through sweating a syndrome.  and the transformation leaves the desired creature.  but make that be the only way to attain the creature

say 0.001% of dwarves might be the caste for said creature such as a giant cave spider and you have a female special dwarf become a female giant cave spider.  this would allow your civilization automatic access to giant cave spiders.  probably best you make the caste weak and/or stupid so you don't have a high up become one on the off chance of the almighty RNG

although... i haven't modded in awhile though so.. goodluck!
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:26:27 pm »

why not have a caste that's extremely rare that transforms through sweating a syndrome.  and the transformation leaves the desired creature.  but make that be the only way to attain the creature

say 0.001% of dwarves might be the caste for said creature such as a giant cave spider and you have a female special dwarf become a female giant cave spider.  this would allow your civilization automatic access to giant cave spiders.  probably best you make the caste weak and/or stupid so you don't have a high up become one on the off chance of the almighty RNG

This makes some sense, though creepy when you think about it. My idea is to have things like orcish horses, which are the size of a rhino, and horns, as mounts. It just wouldn't do if what were supposed to be one of the key factors to a races unique power in warfare, goblins or elves used it too. I'll try it. "Hey man, what happened to Jim?" "Oh yeah Bob, he turned into a horse." "That's cool." Its a good idea though.
+Signature+

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:16:39 am »

Pretty sure that transformation would never occur during worldgen and so not give the civ access to the creature.

Other than what's mentioned the only other way is to make a mountable creature appear in a biome only your race of orcs lives in. They draw their animals from the biomes they own sites in. Problem is that sites taken during invasion and similar could end up giving you orcs on horses and humans on your orc mounts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »

Well, thanks for all the tips. I'll experiment later and maybe make a suggestion for a special tag, like [MOUNTTYPE:ORC] on the creature itself. In entity files, [USESMOUNT:ORC]
+Signature+